What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I make a Béchamel sauce when I make Alfredo using whole milk I dont like how heavy cream is so uh heavy

I'm they same! I use half'n'half and a very pale butter/veg oil/flour roux- thickened bechamel and I'll thin it with milk if it's too thick. A pinch of salt an a couple grinds of black pepper. And a small pinch of freshly grated nutmeg...not too much!

I'm they same! I use half'n'half and a very pale butter/veg oil/flour roux- thickened bechamel and I'll thin it with milk if it's too thick. A pinch of salt an a couple grinds of black pepper. And a small pinch of freshly grated nutmeg...not too much!

I do similar and it's plenty thick enough while still being a little lighter

Geez, you guys are stepping up! I did grilled ribeyes (rare to medium rare) and salmon with a hoisin BBQ sauce, salt baked potatoes, LeSeur peas, and salad. Strawberries coated in chocolate, regular fresh strawberries, Reese's Eggs, a Whitman's Sampler box and some crapoy, frosted sugar cookies that my daughter likes.

IMG_20150214_181754913.jpg

IMG_20150214_183414054.jpg

IMG_20150214_183335967.jpg

I have been the lazy, recently divorced single guy lately regarding cooking but...

Since being furloughed during the strike I whipped up a modern version of my favorite "comfort food" but will much better quality ingredients. It is simply a bowl of mexican stuff that was available on Thursdays while working in the culinary wastelands of Camp Liberty Iraq. Our food was mostly fried, deep fat fried or battered and deep fat fried. Lots of fresh salad greens but all without flavor.

Mexi-bowl:

4 OZ of seaonned shredded chix per serving
Spanish rice to volume
Black beans to volume
Shredded leaf lettuce or Spinach (not baby spinach)
Good quality medium salsa to taste
Mexi shred on top

Simple, made in bulk, it fits the bill when I am too lazy to cook for one as I can freeze servings to pop in the evil eradiator at any time.

Oh, on the alfredo, I am still a firm believer in heavy whipping cream for that one. The Sous Chef who taught me basic knife skills and cooking outside the Betty Crocker would kill me for anything less. I also prefer my Pork Loin with a center temp under 140 f, thank you very much.

My mother the former Home Ec teacher is horrified by many of the practices I picked up in the 'biz but she sure loves the pasta's I make her.

She also is horrified by the state of her kitchen floor when I am finished cooking but not finished cleaning. I have a 90# Bernese that takes care of those issues for me so I often forget how the commercial kitchen practices "waste" so much is dropped stuff.

Holy crap it's been busy in this thread tonight! I guess I should have expected that!

I need to read the previous posts closer, but I'm a carbonara guy way more than Alfredo.

I'm grilling a couple of 3" thick filets tonight, and trying to duplicate my favorite restaurant salad composed of pancetta, pecans, cherry tomatoes, dried cherries, goat cheese, And a basalmic vinegarette. With roasted yukon golds and green beans on the side of the steak and salad.

SWMBO requested steaks for our Valentine's dinner, so got a couple of pretty good rib steaks and went over to the winter farmer's market to get some nice golden and red beets. Even though it was below zero, I fired up the ol' Weber kettle and grilled everything. I threw in some carrots too. Neighbors, no doubt, thought I was nuts.

Wow, everyone outdid themselves! Yum!

No pictures from here, KOTC was basically standing at the stove as I took the lamb out of the oven and he was READY TO EAT thankyouverymuch so no time for such frivoloties. It was really good though.

And that damn Blue Bunny ice cream. Oh my. That is the BEST ice cream EVER. Peanut Butter Panic in case anyone needs to know! ;)

I tried something new, well, new to me at least; 1st time I've grilled swordfish.

Grilled swordfish steak, brushed with hazelnut oil while grilling & dressed with fresh lemon juice.

Brussels sprouts with portobello & crimini mushrooms, pearl onions, chopped hazelnuts, a clove of minced garlic, about a 1/2 teaspoon of dried, crushed tarragon, a couple dashes of black pepper, a dash of balsamic vinegar & a couple shakes of soy sauce, all sauteed in hazelnut oil.

Honey/ginger glazed baby carrots with craisins, green onions, a clove of minced garlic, a dash of black pepper & stir-fried in hazelnut oil.

For dessert it was grilled pineapple, brushed with hazelnut oil while on the grill & vanilla frozen yogurt.

I thought it was a tasty little feast.
Regards, GF.

vday1.jpg

vday2.jpg

Went with Stuffed Chops last night. Spinach and Parmesan and garlic for the stuffing.

Good, but the chops came out dry again. Might need to try a different cooking method or something. They were barely thick enough to use for stuffed chops too.

Try browning them first, then into a covered pan with a little water, beer or stock. They'll be moister.

No pictures to upload, but I ground and stuffed 11lb of sage breakfast links and 10lb of weisswurst.
yummmm I can already feel myself getting fatter :-D

Bit late but here's what wife and I did for Valentine's Day this past weekend.

The soup is Beef Bourguignon (or as I call it, beef warglebargle). It's essentially a fancy pants beef stew but it's got a bit of brandy and a bottle of wine in it...plus there's bacon.

I also threw together a loaf for dipping (not as crusty as I like, but wife was hungry yesterday ;)), and chocolate lava cake (I swear there's some cake under the strawberries, ice cream, and chocolate syrup) for dessert.

beef warglebargle.jpg

crumb shot feb 2015.jpg

lava cake 2.jpg

Back