What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yum ready to eat....

image.jpg

Mattmmille, that gravlax looks pretty cool. I have never heard of it, can you explain it a little more for me. I have quite a bit of wild caught salmon thats frozen. This might be an option for some.

Gravlax is a Swedish/Norwegian preparation of salmon that is similar to lox. Instead of cold smoking, gravlax is technically raw, but cured with a mixture of salt, sugar, cracked black pepper (or white) and spices or herbs, traditionally fresh dillweed.

The process takes about 48 hours and the result is rinsed, dried, sliced thin and traditionally served with a mustard-dill sauce in Sweden. I have personally always used it on bagels with cream cheese, like I would use lox. It's just easier for me to produce than cold smoking.

Bobby Flay's recipe is pretty good, so I don't have to write it out here, myself! http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/gravlax-recipe.html

I use more stuff than Flay...I don't rub it on, I cover the filets with the mixture (adding chopped dill to the mix), then adding bigger pieces of dill to the filets and sandwiching them together. I used the same amount of the salt/sugar cure for a partial side of salmon that Bobby Flay uses on 3 to 4 pounds of salmon. You could use less than I do...adjust for your tastes. And you could use brown sugar instead of white. Bobby Flay says to use foil, I prefer plastice wrap. He says light weight...I used a brick. He uses white peper and quite a bit...I used about a teaspoon of black peppercorns and then cracked them in a mortor & pestle. I imagine his result was a bit more delicate than mine and perhaps not as thoroughly cured.

Wrapped tight in plastic wrap and placed in a dish, weighted with a brick. Flip after 24 hours (you'll see lots of liquid seeped out...you can toss it). Another 24 hours and then rinse well and you're good to go.

As I mentioned, I did the same with a large rainbow trout last Summer, but didn't have dill, so I made up a spice mix to add to the sugar/salt cure and it was terrific.

One other suggestion: A Gravlax Benedict with a dill hollandaise for Sunday brunch is outstanding! Thaw out a couple of those salmon sides and do this! Scale up the recipe for the cure mixture, if you need to, just maintain the ratios. Cheers!

I have not cooked a whole chicken in the crock pot yet. No pics when i started it at 5am (was slow with the coffee) however i'll take some later on. I'm making a second run at smashed salt and vinegar potatoes also - i even bought powdered vinegar (not very pungent though) to add to them. Anyone have any pointers on the S&V Potatoes specifically how does one make them super vinegary?

Thanks for the info matt, i'll have to give it a shot in a few days. Couple questions:

Do you store in fridge during cure?

How do you store after cure and how long will it keep?

Thanks again

Thanks for the info matt, i'll have to give it a shot in a few days. Couple questions:

Do you store in fridge during cure?

How do you store after cure and how long will it keep?

Thanks again

Yes, refrigerate during the cure and after. In a ziploc, it will probably last 2 or 3 weeks. I vacuum seal mine and, if I didn't eat it all in less than a week, it would probably last a couple of months.

Just made a monster batch of tomatilla salsa. Man, I am going to get that food processor this weekend. The Magic Bullet isn't cutting it. We used to have a decent machine, but (my wife tells me) I broke it a while back.

Going back through this thread for some recipes and just wondered if you ever got that Cuisinart food processor, Andrew??

It's going to be cold and probably icy here for the next couple of days, so I am making soup!

If you watched Seinfeld your probably saw the episodes about the Soup Nazi. Today I'm cooking a clone recipe of the Mulligatawny soup from the actual soup restaurant that the Seinfeld episodes were based on. This is one of my favorite soups. It has no meat in it (other than chicken broth) but you would swear it does!

It starts with frozen corn, pistachios, and cashews.
Then onions, celery, and carrots.
Eggplant, potatoes, roasted red peppers, and parsley go in.
The remainder is spices, herbs, chicken stock, and 16 cups of water!! The secret to this soup is the all day simmer in an excess of water and a huge reduction till it's about the consistency of chili! I can only squeeze in 12 cups of water so I add 4 more after it has reduced enough. In 5-6 hours we will be eating awesome soup!

IMG_2299.jpg

IMG_2300.jpg

IMG_2302.jpg

It's going to be cold and probably icy here for the next couple of days, so I am making soup!

If you watched Seinfeld your probably saw the episodes about the Soup Nazi. Today I'm cooking a clone recipe of the Mulligatawny soup from the actual soup restaurant that the Seinfeld episodes were based on. This is one of my favorite soups. It has no meat in it (other than chicken broth) but you would swear it does!

It starts with frozen corn, pistachios, and cashews.
Then onions, celery, and carrots.
Eggplant, potatoes, roasted red peppers, and parsley go in.
The remainder is spices, herbs, chicken stock, and 16 cups of water!! The secret to this soup is the all day simmer in an excess of water and a huge reduction till it's about the consistency of chili! I can only squeeze in 12 cups of water so I add 4 more after it has reduced enough. In 5-6 hours we will be eating awesome soup!
You have a link to a recipe? Sounds delicious.

After shoveling the last of my roof and cleaning out the end of the stuff at my old house (in preparation for sale) I'm making Alton Browns stove top Mac and cheese.

Dang, scared me for a second that it was Sunday and I was missing the Daytona 500!

We just finished linking two pounds of gyros sausages. Here is the raw form - most are 7" with a few a bit shorter due to the casings lengths. Tomorrow we'll sous vide them, then they can go on the grill to crispy them up, then Monday night into soft pitas with tzatziki, chopped tomatoes, sweet onion, and lettuce. Can't wait!

gyro links.jpg

After shoveling the last of my roof and cleaning out the end of the stuff at my old house (in preparation for sale) I'm making Alton Browns stove top Mac and cheese.

I've wanted to try that ever since I saw him make it. Let us know how it turns out. I saw Sunny Anderson do a spicy mac and cheese this morning on The Best Think I Ever Made that looked good too! I believe it was episode 1 of season 1 on Food Network.

You have a link to a recipe? Sounds delicious.

This is where it started followed by where it ends up after reducing, followed by the recipe in microsoft word. I added the last 4 cups of water after some initial reduction. Let me know if the recipe works for you..

IMG_2304.jpg

IMG_2308.jpg

I've wanted to try that ever since I saw him make it. Let us know how it turns out. I saw Sunny Anderson do a spicy mac and cheese this morning on The Best Think I Ever Made that looked good too! I believe it was episode 1 of season 1 on Food Network.

It is yummy.

Looks great to me!! I am brewing at the moment with 40 mph north winds and rain. I so much wish I was cooking, but my first all grain beer is going well!

image.jpg

We made some Bison sliders tonight. Turned out really good. Marinated in red wine, worch., lemon juice, salt and pepper. Toasted bun, homemade pickles, colby jack cheese, spicy mustard.

Sliced some potatoes and baked with olive oil, s&p. Did some asparagus the same way.

Homebrew was a Chinook IPA

Took four chicken breasts "glued" them together, wrapped it in its skin and in to the souse vide cooker, seared for color and to crisp the skin.
Spiced sweet potatoes, roasted leeks and string beans.:D

That looks good. I am about to jump on a souse vide cooker. There is soooo much that can be done with them.

At the local produce market I spotted these beauties for a couple bucks a pound:

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1424742096.147472.jpg

"Aji dulce" - a Caribbean pepper basically identical to habanero but with almost no heat (poblano/cubanelle range).

Threw 2/3rds in the freezer to save for hot sauce of some sort. Used the rest to whip up a batch of sofrito, a pepper-onion-garlic-herb concoction that is the heart and soul of Puerto Rican cooking (Dominicans, Cubans et al have their own bastardized versions as well).

For traditional sofrito you will need to get your hands on the aforementioned aji dulce as well as a bunch of these beauties:

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1424742627.196333.jpg

That is recao aka culantro, an herb similar to yet somehow superior to cilantro (especially for those of us with a particular genetic disposition that causes cilantro to taste like soap).

Add a red pepper, an onion or two, a head of garlic, and a half a bunch of cilantro or parsley.

Roast all the vegetables including the garlic for best results.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1424743131.144095.jpg

Cram everything into a blender. Juice a lime directly into the blender if you want a bit of citrus kick.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1424743401.818677.jpg

Pulverize to a consistency halfway between mustard and salsa. Store in the fridge if you will use within a week or so, I like to pour into ziplocks about a cup each then freeze

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1424743550.265250.jpg

To use in any dish just add to saucepan once your onions/peppers etc when they are just about done cooking and heat for a minute of two then proceed from there. Crockpot type dishes just dump it in with everything else. My secret is to mix with vinegar, garlic, and adobo then smear it all over some meat before roasting. Makes a great soup base too.

Took four chicken breasts "glued" them together, wrapped it in its skin and in to the souse vide cooker, seared for color and to crisp the skin.
Spiced sweet potatoes, roasted leeks and string beans.:D

Looks very tasty chef! I'm curious about the engineering of this chicken dish. How did you "glue" those breasts together & did you take the skin off a whole chicken to wrap them?
Regards, GF.

Looks very tasty chef! I'm curious about the engineering of this chicken dish. How did you "glue" those breasts together & did you take the skin off a whole chicken to wrap them?
Regards, GF.

I worked with this recipe,
http://www.chefsteps.com/activities/chicken-roulade

Glued together with this,
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EIGV7MC/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

The skin was from the breasts, it didn't fully cover and I did less then a stellar job in removing the fat and such but a little more glue and it did the job.
The meat was wonderfully moist, the only thing I would like to do is to season between the pieces of meat but this can cause issues with binding it together, seasoning the exterior worked well though.

Last edited by a moderator:
One of wife's friends asked for a pho recipe, so I typed it up this morning. Not sure if this is up anyone's alley, but since I already spent the time...here it is

There’s no hardfast way to do this, but I’ve had good luck with this method.
This method takes two days but it’s a lot less messing around than doing it all in one day.

Boil beef bones/oxtail in water for about 10 minutes. You should see white foam starting to form on the top of the water. The water won’t have much beef flavor, so toss that water out.

Take the beef bones and cover them with water in a crock pot. A few bouillon cubes won’t hurt at this point. Cut an onion in half and put it in the crock pot too. Let it on low for about 8 hours, and add a bouillon cube or two if the broth isn’t beefy enough (alternatively, don’t add any bouillon until the end as the flavor of the broth will change as it gets closer to done).

Turn the crockpot off and let it cool to about room temp. Discard the beef bones and onion and put the broth in the fridge overnight. In the morning there should be a fairly thick layer of fat on top. Most pho recipes call for the broth to be constantly skimmed while it’s boiling, but this does a better job of taking out the fat and it’s a lot easier; it just takes some planning.

From here the broth will need simmered for a few hours. Meanwhile, in a dry pan, toast a few cinnamon sticks, a bit of coriander, and a few pieces of star anise. You can try adding whole cardamom and/or cumin here too. Toast until it’s aromatic, and a few charred spots aren’t uncommon.

Ideally, you can add all of these toasted spices back to the broth in a muslin bag or a spice ball. If not, just toss everything in and filter it out later.

While toasting the spices, cut another onion in half and slice a ginger root into thin slices with a lot of surface area. Put them in the broiler and let cook until there’s a small amount of char on every piece. The onion will likely need pulled before the ginger. Add to the broth with finished.

Simmer everything together, adding a bouillon cube or two if necessary. With about an hour and a half left, add beef (we typically use chuck roast, just about anything boneless and fairly lean will work) to the pot and let it cook in the simmering broth. When that’s done, the meal is ready.

When it’s done, pull out the beef and let it cool to the point you can cube it. Towards the end, add a handful of rock candy (or a few spoon-fulls of sugar to taste) and a bit of fish sauce (start with about a teaspoon, but add more or less if you like).

When the broth is done and the beef is cubed, start cooking the rice noodles (they should only take about 10-15 minutes). Add the hot broth to the cooked noodles.

Optional garnishes: thin slices of raw beef (which will cook almost immediately in the hot broth), lime juice, Thai basil, Thai peppers, green onion, bean sprouts, hoisun sauce, srirracha

Ingredients:
3-4 beef bones
Beef Bouillon (amounts vary based on taste)
2 onions, halved (one on the first day, one charred on the second)
2 cinnamon sticks
1 tsp coriander seed
3 star anise
3 inches of ginger root
1 beef roast (the cut doesn’t matter much, the leaner the better)
1/3 cup rock candy (or white sugar)
1 tbsp fish sauce, to taste

Kid is coming home this weekend and requested Zuppa Toscana. Wife insists on a double batch because she knows Kim is going to want to take some back to school with her.

But I'd really like to cook up something different while she is home. I am taking Friday off (unless something unforeseen comes up at work) and will have time to play in the Kitchen.

Any ideas? Can't be anything too far out there as I live in West Central Northern Lower Michigan and our stores are not that worldly.

Back