What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've spent so many years working away from home that I don't have a large circle of friends and acquaintances left. And my brothers and their offspring have scattered, reversing the old pattern of migration into California. I'd be hard pressed to find enough people to feed half a pig to in one sitting, much less a full one.

Of course, I expect that to change when I retire next year, and actually get to live at home... meanwhile I may try a downsized version of a capa china, and do some experimenting.

It's a pretty standard cooking vessel in so FL. They work just as great for pork butts. )

I've spent so many years working away from home that I don't have a large circle of friends and acquaintances left. And my brothers and their offspring have scattered, reversing the old pattern of migration into California. I'd be hard pressed to find enough people to feed half a pig to in one sitting, much less a full one.

Of course, I expect that to change when I retire next year, and actually get to live at home... meanwhile I may try a downsized version of a capa china, and do some experimenting.

Where in California? I'll come by for pork!

It looks like a caja china

That's exactly what it was and its the best way to cook a pig IMO. We did it for our city league bocce playoffs so there were plenty of mouths to feed. Marinated it overnight in mojo and stuffed it with garlic. Got it started in the morning so it was ready come lunch time. The whole thing was gone in less than an hour lol. I was shocked no one had any rebuttal when I claimed the ears. Some people don't know what their missing.

That's exactly what it was and its the best way to cook a pig IMO. We did it for our city league bocce playoffs so there were plenty of mouths to feed. Marinated it overnight in mojo and stuffed it with garlic. Got it started in the morning so it was ready come lunch time. The whole thing was gone in less than an hour lol. I was shocked no one had any rebuttal when I claimed the ears. Some people don't know what their missing.

A buddy and I won a local Bocce championship. It was fun, but I prefer free range outdoor bocce to the courts.

Damned ex decided to wear my championship shirt to paint **** in. Still have the trophy though!

A buddy and I won a local Bocce championship. It was fun, but I prefer free range outdoor bocce to the courts.

Damned ex decided to wear my championship shirt to paint **** in. Still have the trophy though!

Had to google that but if it's anything like this sign me up!

MIN_bocce_detail_1.jpg

Ok, so FYI, hops sprouts are not that good. They do have a flavor that reminds me of asparagus, and I was dubious because I doubted they would taste like asparagus just because they resemble it a bit.

The problem is that they have a more fibrous texture and even after being well chewed still have a kind of hairy feel going down the throat. There were a few bits of sand involved as well, even after rinsing very well. I suppose that's going to happen if you don't have some good mulch on the beds and have recently weeded them.

Bottom line is that in time of need I would not hesitate to eat them, but for everyday dining, they are not going to be on my plate.

Grabbed a pan handle that I didn't know had been in the oven. The 650 degree oven :(

Damn!!!! My Wife (Love her Forever) is infamous for putting pans in the oven and I'm even more infamous for not checking. Nowhere near what you got but I have melted the grip coating on a couple of pan handles not oven rated.

DANG. I've done that. Hurts like hell. Hope it heals up fast - that's gonna impede your kitchen creations otherwise.

I kept it in a cup of ice water all night and now have them wrapped up with some burn cream. I'm lucky after 12 years of cooking professionally my hands are a little more resilient than most people's.

Still f***Ing hurts though lol

In all the years I cooked in restaurants, my worst burn was tipping over a little hot pot of simmering water when I was in college. Completely covered my right hand and forearm. Couldn't take my hand out of the pitcher of ice water for more than 15 seconds for hours. Finally went to ER and they put a silver cream on it and wrapped it. So hard to write...teacher took pity and gave me an "A" on my last final.

I grabbed a pot out of the oven with my hand. Had to hold a beer in my hand the entire night. It was terrible, well the burn was :D

Bacon explosion on a Wednesday night sure why not, the wife is out of town.

image.jpg

OW! What's with the burns around here lately?

OK, what's in that lovely basketweave o' bacon - looks good from the outside for sure!

I made a chicken/green chile enchilada casserole. Took it up to my Dad and stepMom's. Had a GooGoo Cluster for dessert.

OK, what's in that lovely basketweave o' bacon - looks good from the outside for sure!

I made a chicken/green chile enchilada casserole. Took it up to my Dad and stepMom's. Had a GooGoo Cluster for dessert.

We're real men! :rockin: lol...

It's flattened sausage rolled up with more bacon and cheese :) it's just redidculos and delicious at the same time :mug:

I grilled a pork tenderloin and cauliflower and served it with this rice/barley/quinoa thing that SWMBO bought. I underseasoned the pork and cauliflower, so everything was terribly bland.

BUT the next night, I mixed up the leftover pork and cauliflower with peapods and water chestnuts and a heap of onion and garlic, and poured a honey/soy/ginger sauce over it, and then served it on top of more of the rice/barley/quinoa stuff, which I also prepared with a heap of onion and garlic. And butter. Much better the second time around.

Gonna be a busy cooking weekend (it's Friday already, right? :eek:)

Elk fajitas
Pork tenderloin medallions with a pomegranate balsamic & rosemary reduction; maybe cornbread and salad for the sides
Bangers (simmered in homebrewed Irish red ale) and mash with an onion gravy (made with homemade pinot noir)

Also gonna make ~15lbs of elk jerky

Where in California? I'll come by for pork!

Homeland, a few miles outside of Hemet in Riverside County.

If you're familiar with Interstate 10, you get off on Beaumont Ave in Beaumont, and shoot down Lamb Canyon to Highway 74. Alternately, you could take the 215 fwy south, and get off on Highway 74 East....

I'll extend an invitation when I get around to cooking some up. :)

For my birthday yesterday I made up a batch of biscuits and gravy. And for lunch? Biscuits and gravy. Brought biscuits and gravy in for lunch today, but ate it at first break...

A belated Happy Birthday to you sir. I do believe I could eat biscuits and gravy 3-4 straight meals without being bored I love that meal.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1400800580.888729.jpg
Chuck roast baised 3 hours in red wine and beef stock with onion, garlic, celery, fresh rosemary and tyme. A Request from the wife what better meal on 75 degree day? It's now 85 degrees in my house but at least the food is good.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Started to get ready for the weekend this evening.

Made a batch of Oatmeal Raisinet
cookies to start...

Then I roasted some squash, broccoli and cauliflower...

And I made a batch of BBQ sauce to close the night out.

productive day right there.

Last night we made Mac 'N Cheese, Kraft style, with Gordon's Fish Sticks. It was just like being a kid again! I also steamed some local Asparagus for a veggie. They were huge and tender.

My last birthday present finally arrived. My oldest daughter was veyr upset with herself for not knowing when my birthday was, and I told her not to worry about it, my memory is pretty bad for certain things and she probably got it from me anyway. She ordered something, but too late for it to show up on my birthday.

But it came the next day! It was a 4-pack of custom pint glasses with my brewery name (or at least my name...) and the year I started really brewing. It was a thoughtful gift and they look very nice.

OK, that was a bit OT, but too bad.

This weekend we are going upstate to a friends house for a get together and we are bringing lunch items. I'm making potato salad. Not sure what else we are making. Leaning towards brats and burgers maybe. Finished cooking the pastrami last night, but I'm not sure anyone else is going to be up for Ruben sandwiches.

And for even more deliciousness you can stuff it with pretty much anything. I have done one with a chorizo/sausage blend stuffed with extra bacon, onions, cheese and diced jalapenos and thrown on the smoker. You can basically use up leftovers.

Funny... A coworker was mentioning smoked fatties yesterday. I might have to try those and ABTs this weekend.

I'm gonna toss some steaks at the pit with roasted corn & maybe tater salad. And maybe some mushrooms & onions in butter,then add the odd amount of that ESB I bottled last weekend For a reduction?...

Back