What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is the end result. Absolutely mind blowing taste. Everyone should have this burger stuffer, $5 at menards.

Looks like a stuffed Jimmyburger! My son James pit BBQ's big burgers like that,un-stuffed. A little beans or tater salad & you're stuffed!:mug:

My queen's birthday today. Her meal request Chicken Parmasean I had to motivate myself to cook.
Breading station
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1400103569.863090.jpg
Sauce from scratch except used canned crushed tomatoes as fresh tomatoes suck this time of year.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1400103754.141876.jpg
Plated dish was a success she loved it.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1400103826.264891.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1400184880.124601.jpg
Flank steak cooked on charcoal grill with cherry wood chips sprinkled over the coals. Perfectly cooked(all praise me) and so delicious. I cooked down onions and mushrooms with salt and pepper, fresh tyme, a single clove of garlic and a little balsamic vinegar to go with the steak. Served it with baked potatoe with sour cream and chives washed it down with my black ipa. God loves me afterall.

View attachment 199604
Flank steak cooked on charcoal grill with cherry wood chips sprinkled over the coals. Perfectly cooked(all praise me) and so delicious. I cooked down onions and mushrooms with salt and pepper, fresh tyme, a single clove of garlic and a little balsamic vinegar to go with the steak. Served it with baked potatoe with sour cream and chives washed it down with my black ipa. God loves me afterall.

Man o man, nice. I'd be making carne asada with some of that meat.

Man o man, nice. I'd be making carne asada with some of that meat.

That's usually what we do with flank steak but it's flavor is underrated imo so I decided to serve it like I would a ribeye or ny strip. Between my wife, daughter and her best friend and myself it got devoured. the 3 of them ate 2/3 I ate a 1/3 what can I say I'm a carnivore.

Last night is was a double batch of Apple Crisp (3 bags of apples) for the high school band end of year banquet. Still have some left over. (I planned well!)

At work today I dried a London broil with paper towels, rubbed it with Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning, then melted some cocoanut oil and rubbed that into it. I stuck it in a toaster oven on the 'broil' setting at max temp with an aluminum foil-wrapped drip pan under it, cooked it for fifteen or twenty minutes, then flipped it for another ten or fifteen.

I wasn't expecting much, given that it was a thick piece of meat and a small toaster oven. So I was blown away when it came out perfectly done: seared and brown on the outside, rare in the middle, and as tender and juicy as any London broil I've ever cooked. I sliced it across the grain at a 45 degree angle, sprinkled a tad more seasoning on the slices, and pigged out. Fellow workers who came into the control room and smelled what I was cooking and eating hated me...

I actually only cooked half; the other half is wrapped and stashed in the fridge at work. Maybe I'll run get it tomorrow and do an encore on my own time; I have a similar toaster oven here in my motor home. Pic's this time, assuming I can get lightning to strike twice. :)

All of these posts make me long to cook. We are in the middle of moving, buying, and selling. I can't justify time cooking. The problem is cooking is my therapy and I can't do it! My stress level is off the charts and I need some culinary release.

Grilled shrimp and asparagus last night and served it with basic garlicky couscous. Right now I'm preparing a brine for a chicken that I'll grill tonight (whole) alongside a whole head of cauliflower.

At work today I dried a London broil with paper towels, rubbed it with Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning, then melted some cocoanut oil and rubbed that into it. I stuck it in a toaster oven on the 'broil' setting at max temp with an aluminum foil-wrapped drip pan under it, cooked it for fifteen or twenty minutes, then flipped it for another ten or fifteen.

I wasn't expecting much, given that it was a thick piece of meat and a small toaster oven. So I was blown away when it came out perfectly done: seared and brown on the outside, rare in the middle, and as tender and juicy as any London broil I've ever cooked. I sliced it across the grain at a 45 degree angle, sprinkled a tad more seasoning on the slices, and pigged out. Fellow workers who came into the control room and smelled what I was cooking and eating hated me...

I actually only cooked half; the other half is wrapped and stashed in the fridge at work. Maybe I'll run get it tomorrow and do an encore on my own time; I have a similar toaster oven here in my motor home. Pic's this time, assuming I can get lightning to strike twice. :)

That reminds me, I made a London Broil a few weeks ago and the leftovers got put on a salad with some raisins, bleu cheese, diced onion, granny smith, and a lemon/red wine vinaigrette. Almost makes me want to make a London Broil again solely for the salad.

Saturday I grilled up a big family pack of boneless, skinless chicken breasts. Marintated about 12 hrs in a white grape juice/teriyaki/soy sauce marinade. Grilled over charcoal on the Weber kettle & brushed with olive oil. These are for my lunch at work this week, so I put them in individual ziploc bags with some rice & sauteed veggies. Lunch is made for the entire work week. :)

I also made a stir-fry for supper Saturday. I make stir-frys a lot & most of the time they don't change enough to rate being posted over & over here, but this one does. I made a spicy curry/coconut/pineapple shrimp with plenty of fresh ginger & garlic, garlic chili paste, hot madras curry, an 8.5 oz can of pineapple chunks, 2/3 can of coconut milk and the juice of 1 lime.

Served this with stir-fried veggies (celery, carrots, onions & brussels sprouts), with a couple cloves of garlic, freshly chopped cilantro & a good, big squirt of rooster sauce.
I've been tring to go low carb & have been saving my carbs for beer, but this time I said "screw it" & made rice to go with my stir-frys. Thai jasmine rice, with 3 bay leaves & a bit of sesame oil to coat the bottom of the pan and a couple dashes of soy sauce.

This was very tasty, but was so spicy it made me sweat & made my nose run, I downed more than a few bottles of Moose Drool whilst cooking & eating. All in all, a very productive day for me. I got all my errands run, all my chores done, cooked lunch for the entire work week & made a tasty supper. I didn't think to shoot any pics, I'll have to remember to shoot & post some next time.
Regards, GF.

Saturday I grilled up a big family pack of boneless, skinless chicken breasts. Marintated about 12 hrs in a white grape juice/teriyaki/soy sauce marinade. Grilled over charcoal on the Weber kettle & brushed with olive oil. These are for my lunch at work this week, so I put them in individual ziploc bags with some rice & sauteed veggies. Lunch is made for the entire work week. :)

I also made a stir-fry for supper Saturday. I make stir-frys a lot & most of the time they don't change enough to rate being posted over & over here, but this one does. I made a spicy curry/coconut/pineapple shrimp with plenty of fresh ginger & garlic, garlic chili paste, hot madras curry, an 8.5 oz can of pineapple chunks, 2/3 can of coconut milk and the juice of 1 lime.

Served this with stir-fried veggies (celery, carrots, onions & brussels sprouts), with a couple cloves of garlic, freshly chopped cilantro & a good, big squirt of rooster sauce.
I've been tring to go low carb & have been saving my carbs for beer, but this time I said "screw it" & made rice to go with my stir-frys. Thai jasmine rice, with 3 bay leaves & a bit of sesame oil to coat the bottom of the pan and a couple dashes of soy sauce.

This was very tasty, but was so spicy it made me sweat & made my nose run, I downed more than a few bottles of Moose Drool whilst cooking & eating. All in all, a very productive day for me. I got all my errands run, all my chores done, cooked lunch for the entire work week & made a tasty supper. I didn't think to shoot any pics, I'll have to remember to shoot & post some next time.
Regards, GF.

Love stir frying veggies in a wok. So much better than any other method of cooking (except maybe grilling in some cases).
That whole thing sounds incredible.

Love stir frying veggies in a wok. So much better than any other method of cooking (except maybe grilling in some cases).
That whole thing sounds incredible.

I love my wok, I stir-fry with it, deep fry, saute, braise, steam, I've even made soup in it. It's nothing fancy, just a plain old spun steel wok, but I use it almost every day. Regards, GF. :mug:

I love my wok, I stir-fry with it, deep fry, saute, braise, steam, I've even made soup in it. It's nothing fancy, just a plain old spun steel wok, but I use it almost every day. Regards, GF. :mug:

I've got carbon steel myself. Wife got it as a Christmas present a few years back.
I don't even need to have anything in it, all I have to do is put it over some heat and the whole house smells delicious...nice and seasoned
:mug:

Wrong thread Nuts, you ever get anywhere with the sourdough?

totally missed the sourdough question. Sorry chef. I have been lazy with cooking lately but I've recently managed to get it together and will be attempting sourdough bread this week. I'll post the results.

All of these posts make me long to cook. We are in the middle of moving, buying, and selling. I can't justify time cooking. The problem is cooking is my therapy and I can't do it! My stress level is off the charts and I need some culinary release.

We have a similar problem. Will be leaving Alaska in July but we've already sold off or boxed just about everything getting the house ready for sale.

They're pretty awesome, you get a whole roast pig in ~3 hours

I've spent so many years working away from home that I don't have a large circle of friends and acquaintances left. And my brothers and their offspring have scattered, reversing the old pattern of migration into California. I'd be hard pressed to find enough people to feed half a pig to in one sitting, much less a full one.

Of course, I expect that to change when I retire next year, and actually get to live at home... meanwhile I may try a downsized version of a caja china, and do some experimenting.

Latest posts

Back