What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having spent 8 days on a "clear liquids" and then "full liquids" diet - the simplest things taste so good - like the small baked potato I made tonight to go with my leftover chicken thigh. Stuffed that tater with butter and full-fat Greek yogurt. Tasted like a gourmet treat!

Having spent 8 days on a "clear liquids" and then "full liquids" diet - the simplest things taste so good - like the small baked potato I made tonight to go with my leftover chicken thigh. Stuffed that tater with butter and full-fat Greek yogurt. Tasted like a gourmet treat!

Can you share the diet you were on?

It's called the "8 days in the hospital with diverticulitis" diet! You do NOT want to be on it, trust me! ;)

First few days, only liquids you can see through, except some kind of ice cup thingie - I mean, for BREAKFAST, a jello cup, a cup of hot tea, a cup of apple juice, clear broth - yuck. Then they graduated me to "full liquid" which meant pureed soup, coffee, milk, yogurt, juice, the best thing I got was the day they sprung me out which was a chocolate milkshake.

It was truly awful.

It's called the "8 days in the hospital with diverticulitis" diet! You do NOT want to be on it, trust me! ;)

First few days, only liquids you can see through, except some kind of ice cup thingie - I mean, for BREAKFAST, a jello cup, a cup of hot tea, a cup of apple juice, clear broth - yuck. Then they graduated me to "full liquid" which meant pureed soup, coffee, milk, yogurt, juice, the best thing I got was the day they sprung me out which was a chocolate milkshake.

It was truly awful.

Eek, that does sound awful! haha. A few months ago I did a "24 day" challenge which was pretty much just juicing for meals and then recently did a paleo diet for a couple weeks so I was just curious. That was pretty rough just because of how small the portions were and I ate more brussel sprouts than I ever hoped I would. I learned how to make a super good cayenne pepper lemonade though!

It was truly awful.

Hope you're feeling better & on the mend.
Regards, GF.

Can you portion some out and freeze it? Makes a nice "grab and go" on a night you don't have time for, or don't feel like, cooking.

That root beer sounds great! Love me a good RB float.

I guess that's the plan. Repackage into smaller bags and freeze for quick evening meals. The chicken had already been frozen once right after cooking so we didn't have to do that right before the open house with all the other stuff we had to do too. Wife says you can't freeze meat that's been frozen once before. o_O

I guess that's the plan. Repackage into smaller bags and freeze for quick evening meals. The chicken had already been frozen once right after cooking so we didn't have to do that right before the open house with all the other stuff we had to do too. Wife says you can't freeze meat that's been frozen once before. o_O

Yeah, you probably would have some loss of quality, but overall I don't think it would HURT it.

I often freeze fresh meat, then cook it at some point, then refreeze the cooked leftovers and I don't think that's a problem at all.

Eek, that does sound awful! haha. A few months ago I did a "24 day" challenge which was pretty much just juicing for meals and then recently did a paleo diet for a couple weeks so I was just curious. That was pretty rough just because of how small the portions were and I ate more brussel sprouts than I ever hoped I would. I learned how to make a super good cayenne pepper lemonade though!

It was the most miserable I've ever been in my 63 years!

Hope you're feeling better & on the mend.
Regards, GF.

Thank you. Things improve a little every day. Still dealing with a lack of energy but I'm sure it will get better.

Not true to my belief. I make chili and freeze portions and same with pulled pork. Very easy

I think it's bad to freeze raw meat that has been frozen and thawed. It gets mushy. If it's cooked, I have refrozen lots.

I don't think it's harmful to EAT it - I just think every time you defrost it, it wrings a little more moisture out of it until it's really not appetizing any more.

I've refrozen partially-defrosted meat without too much loss of quality, but if it gets fully defrosted, even if I'm not gonna eat it right then I'll cook it up one way or another and then refreeze it. I also try to defrost it slowly in the fridge so it has some time to kind of soak up some of the juices that escape it as it defrosts.

Ive heard that many times before, but have never heard a concrete reason as to why...

I figured somebody way back when got sick and blamed it on the freezing but a quick web search yielded some interesting ideas. Epicurious asked the USDA about raw proteins and was told that as long as the meat never got over 40F, you would only lose some moisture/flavor by refreezing.

Another site (that doesn't back up with anything resembling an expert so it might just be pure opinion) says that you can't freeze/thaw/freeze raw meat or cooked meat. It says that it is OK to freeze/thaw/cook/freeze though. They actually list 5 things that you can't freeze/thaw/freeze but since USDA disagrees with them about the raw meat, I'm going to say the whole article is bogus.

Amber ale simmered & grilled bratwurst, German potato salad, and braised red cabbage.

IMG_20170606_201552_356.jpg

Ive heard that many times before, but have never heard a concrete reason as to why...

Me either. I did a bit of looking, but I don't think there is a DANGER of anything if it's taken care of promptly. That said, the meat is still in the fridge from Sat, so I better get it in the freezer tonight. Forgot to pick up freezer bags last night.

I'm still not tired of tacos. Wife found a jug of green sauce and it's pretty tasty.

FWIW, most of the meat you buy at the local grocery store or club store was frozen before they put it out. I know we have all thrown that back in the freezer for various reasons. I know I have.

I think it has to do with HOW it's frozen. If it's flash frozen at some crazy cold temperature, the tissue stays mostly intact. Not so with a gradual freeze in a household freezer.

Back