What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sunday brunch.

image.jpeg

Tell me how you made those pork steaks please! I have four in the freezer and would love to try something different with them!

6 pork steaks charred on the grill

1 cup Rothchild Farms Raspberry Chipolte sauce.

16oz bottle of whatever BBQ sauce you like.

1 tbs Korean pepper flakes (optional)

1 tsp homemade orange hab powder (optional)

2 small white onions chopped.

Mix up the sauces, onion and spices

Place all the pork steaks in a large pot, Cover them with the sauce and just enough water to cover. About a cup for mine. Simmer until tender. I like to simmer or bake them in the sauce just until the meat pulls clean from the bone with a little effort. Not pulled pork tender.

Roasted pineapple hab slaw, Recipe is on Rothchild Farms website. Balsamic works well too if you like it a bit sweeter. I put everything in except the mayo. Then add mayo until i get the consistency i prefer too. Im rather partial to a good cider vinegar for slaw so i adjust the bite a little to my tastes or just use it instead of the lemon juice.

Ingredients

1 bag Coleslaw mix, store bought
1 cup Mayonnaise
1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
3 Tbsp. Robert Rothschild Farm Roasted Pineapple & Habanero Dip or Sauce
2 Tbsp. Lemon juice
1 Tbsp. Red wine vinegar
Extra-virgin olive oil, drizzled

Instructions

In a large bowl, mix together the dressing ingredients. Add the shredded slaw mix and toss until combined.

You should be able to get the Rothchild Farms sauces at Costco. Mine carries the Raspberry Chipolte and the Roasted Pineapple Habanero. Neither one is very spicy. Both are excellent on pork or chicken just by themselves too.

Turf and turf tonight... rib eye and filet.

I'm officially giving up on sous vide for steaks. All grilled or all cast iron seared gives better results for the same or less effort. I'll continue trying it for some tougher beef cuts but i'm all-out using it on the good stuff.

Turf and turf tonight... rib eye and filet.

I'm officially giving up on sous vide for steaks. All grilled or all cast iron seared gives better results for the same or less effort. I'll continue trying it for some tougher beef cuts but i'm all-out using it on the good stuff.

I'm with ya there, EXCEPT we have a couple more tough rib steaks in the freezer - know which ones they are because we vacuum-sealed and labeled/dated them. THOSE I will sous vide then just flop into a screaming hot cast iron skillet to sear off.

But as a general rule, rib steaks to me are just perfect over a nice bed of glowing oakwood coals, about 6 minutes per side for one that is about 1.25" or 1.5" thick. Why bother with the sous vide stuff for something that cooks that quickly, and you get a much nicer sear on it when it sits over the coals that long.

Sous vide is GREAT for a lot of things. Tender steaks, I no longer put in it though.

Sous vide is GREAT for a lot of things. Tender steaks, I no longer put in it though.

The thing with a rib eye is that on a grill the fat will render into a nice juicy sauce that squirts into your mouth with each bite. In sous vide it never renders. So even a 'perfectly' cooked sous vide steak isn't as good as an overcooked grilled steak.

Chicken has been phenomenal with sous vide, all cuts. Pork tenderloin has been a big winner too, probably due to the oddball shape and extreme leanness. It was that leanness that made me think beef filet would be good too... maybe a Chateaubriand would benefit?

Ever sous vide a steak and then reverse sear it ?

Yes, but it never gets as crusty-delicious as when it is just cooked over the coals to begin with. And the hour/couple hours of time and setup it takes to sous vide it just doesn't add up when I can have it on and off the grill in under 12 minutes anyway, minus the time it takes to make the fire - we use a very small Weber grill for this, KOTC cuts up some of our very plentiful oak firewood and makes a quick hot fire and it's ready in under an hour total; and being in State of Constant Drought, we haven't wasted the sous vide water either! :p

Ever sous vide a steak and then reverse sear it ?

Use a blow torch. Make sure you pat it dry to reduce steaming. You could also use a really hot cast iron pan with a bit of oil. Either way you'll want high heat and good to great conduction.

Beef and Chicken Taco fixings for my daughter's Open House. I also grilled brats my wife's aunt brought from Wisconsin.

We got a LOT of taco fixings left over. I TRIED to tell my wife she was making way too much, but she wouldn't listen. Supposedly a friend who should know these things told her it was a good amount. We gave some away and I still don't know how we'll ever eat it all before it goes bad.

Oh, also made 4 gallons of Root Beer for the open house and it was gone before the end. Judging by the number of people and the comments I'd say it went over very well. Wife had the brilliant idea to buy a bucket of ice cream for RB Floats too.

Anyway, I guess I won't be deciding what to make for dinner this week. It's going to be tacos every day.

Beef and Chicken Taco fixings for my daughter's Open House. I also grilled brats my wife's aunt brought from Wisconsin.

We got a LOT of taco fixings left over. I TRIED to tell my wife she was making way too much, but she wouldn't listen. Supposedly a friend who should know these things told her it was a good amount. We gave some away and I still don't know how we'll ever eat it all before it goes bad.

Oh, also made 4 gallons of Root Beer for the open house and it was gone before the end. Judging by the number of people and the comments I'd say it went over very well. Wife had the brilliant idea to buy a bucket of ice cream for RB Floats too.

Anyway, I guess I won't be deciding what to make for dinner this week. It's going to be tacos every day.

Can you portion some out and freeze it? Makes a nice "grab and go" on a night you don't have time for, or don't feel like, cooking.

That root beer sounds great! Love me a good RB float.

Back