What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In college I had a girlfriend who's mother was german and she wanted to make me spatzle. Anyways i could have swore she made a batter and dropped it in water with a spoon and removed it with big slotted fryer spoon.

In college I had a girlfriend who's mother was german and she wanted to make me spatzle. Anyways i could have swore she made a batter and dropped it in water with a spoon and removed it with big slotted fryer spoon.

There's more than one way to make it. I used dried packaged, but maybe we should make Barvarian style which uses beer instead of water according to this site. http://www.germanfoodguide.com/spatzle.cfm

My buddy and I cooked up 30 pounds of mud bugs today. We didnt do too bad of a job for our first boil.

eek. No thank you sir. I remember my first trip to Louisiana (baton rouge). I just couldn't do the crayfish. Growing up, we used them as bass bait (great for that!). We just turned over rocks, grabbed em, hooked them through the tail, caught bass. Never considered eating the bait, can't do it now :)

Low-carb enchiladas - homeground beef, green chiles, lots of red onion and cheese, wrapped in deli-sliced chicken lunch meat, sauced with green chile sauce and topped with cheese and black olives. The leftover meat went into the two little ramekins and got topped with lots of cheese.

Dinner will be in half an hour - then we'll know if the experiment with the chicken lunch meat was a success!

Gonna make some Mexican-style riced cauliflower too. Y'all know I don't usually remember pictures when the stuff is on the plate and ready to eat so you may have to be satisfied with the prebaked version! :)

chicken wrapped beef enchiladas.jpg

My buddy and I cooked up 30 pounds of mud bugs today. We didnt do too bad of a job for our first boil.

Did you guys go straight from boil to table?

I prep the boil water with halved lemons and spices, usually Tony C. I throw the purged ones in for ~10 mins and then throw them straight in a cooler with more seasoning and let them steam for a good 20 mins or so, all the while more batches are being thrown in to keep the temp.

When I cook them this way the tails come right out of the shell, no peeling needed.

Shuck, suck and eat.

I despise low carb food, but even this looks good to me.

Dang, too bad - please pass me your share of steak, eggs, butter, bacon, and big salads full of avocado, artichoke hearts, black olives, radishes, red bell pepper, green onion, and homemade vinaigrette! :fro:

The enchiladas were awesome. If you make enchiladas with flour tortillas, you'd be amazed to know these were made with chicken instead. Now, if you're a corn tortilla aficionado for your 'ladas, this wouldn't have fooled you, but they're good enough to not care!

Dang, too bad - please pass me your share of steak, eggs, butter, bacon, and big salads full of avocado, artichoke hearts, black olives, radishes, red bell pepper, green onion, and homemade vinaigrette! :fro:

I love all of those things (especially the first 4). I just like to add carbs to them.... like potatoes, bread, etc.

I love all of those things (especially the first 4). I just like to add carbs to them.... like potatoes, bread, etc.

You know, I used to think I NEEDED that carby stuff with my protein but have found out that it's OK to just have a big-azzed salad with the works and be happy about it. For ME, the benefits of not eating the stuff (no puffy belly, no migraines, less allergies, weight loss) outweigh the habit of eating it. Which is not to say I don't occasionally do it anyway - like last week when our local brewpub had Carne Asada French fries - now how ya gonna turn THAT down? :ban: 95% of the time, I eat to low carb standards. The other 5% I eat an occasional bun on a burger, or garlic bread, or whatever.

Nice to have choices, eh?

I got a nice big grill as a work 15yr anniversary gift. So been working out all the quirks and cooking up a lot of food. The problem is charcoal.

One bag of lump hardwood was pretty much ALL dust and crumbs.
A different bag of lump hardwood won't stay lit.
A bag of plain ol Kingsford actually made everything taste like fuel, it's horrible. (No, it was no matchlight, it was plain kingsford.

I would 'like' to use lump hardwood, but it seems that quality is really iffy. Anyone got a good brand they recommend?

I am also 'fine' using briquettes and then using my hickory logs along the side to smoke things up. What is a solid performer that doesn't add weird flavors?

Help me get this worked out, because I loved grilling two spatchcock chickens in one go. (That try was the one with coals that wouldn't stay lit so had to keep adding lit hardwood coals.)

I got a nice big grill as a work 15yr anniversary gift. So been working out all the quirks and cooking up a lot of food. The problem is charcoal.

One bag of lump hardwood was pretty much ALL dust and crumbs.
A different bag of lump hardwood won't stay lit.
A bag of plain ol Kingsford actually made everything taste like fuel, it's horrible. (No, it was no matchlight, it was plain kingsford.

I would 'like' to use lump hardwood, but it seems that quality is really iffy. Anyone got a good brand they recommend?

I am also 'fine' using briquettes and then using my hickory logs along the side to smoke things up. What is a solid performer that doesn't add weird flavors?

Help me get this worked out, because I loved grilling two spatchcock chickens in one go. (That try was the one with coals that wouldn't stay lit so had to keep adding lit hardwood coals.)

Kingsford Competition Blend works really well. (I think they changed the name recently.) they are briquettes, but use only natural materials to bind it together. Even better is Wicked Good Charcoal Briquettes. This might be hard to find, but worth seeking out. Again, all natural briquettes here.

How did you light the Kingsford blue? I use it with a chimney and Weber's little pafaffin cube firestarters and have never once detected a fuel off-flavor.

Kingsford Competition Blend works really well. (I think they changed the name recently.) they are briquettes, but use only natural materials to bind it together. Even better is Wicked Good Charcoal Briquettes. This might be hard to find, but worth seeking out. Again, all natural briquettes here.

I think it's now called Professional. Lights fast in a chimney with a couple of sheets of newspaper. Lasts a long time.

I tried Royal Oak hardwood lump, and it burns pretty hot and fast. It disappeared into ash almost before I was ready to cook.

Neither of those seem to have a nasty flavor. Match light does, and sometimes using lighter fluid does.

How did you light the Kingsford blue? I use it with a chimney and Weber's little pafaffin cube firestarters and have never once detected a fuel off-flavor.

Chimney and paper is all I have used for years. But seriously this last cook tasted like it was soaked in lighter fluid. It's gross. (I can't attempt to replicate because I was so upset with the results I left the whole bag out and it rained for two days after...sigh.)

This question may affirm my redneck status, which is most certainly without question, but what in the heck is cassoulet?
It's a buttery French stew with beans and tomatoes and onions and garlic and herbs and a crusty breadcrumb topping. Traditionally it's stewed with duck or some kind of wild game, but we're vegetarian, so ours is with carrots and turnips.

Finishing the evening with HB'ed FES that was dry-choc'ed on 1lb. of cacao nibs, enjoyed with home-churned Belgian chocolate ice cream. Pure heaven :mug:

Choc ice cream.JPG

Yesterday, made SWMBO a green chili and Monterey Jack omelet, with salsa and sour cream. Then I made a couple of jars of pickled green beans, because I had some in the fridge that I bought on sale and I needed to trim the dill in the garden. Made a batch of crock pot pulled pork with a pork butt. Today, I'm making pizza dough...waiting for it to rise. Planning on doing a bar-b-q stromboli...maybe a veggie one for SWMBO. No photos because I'm not in the mood to resize them and find a darn connector cord that isn't fritzed. Too bad, because they all looked awesome...and now it didn't happen.

Back