What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Breakfast for dinner! Eggs fresh from the hens today, I concider this perfectly basted. You can see it is a balanced meal... Notice the vegetables on the plate! ;)

image.jpg

Ground turkey tacos. Good.

View attachment 327979

I like those flat bottomed shells as well. Once you try those there is no going back.

Some ketchup for me cause you know im up to stuff:

Tonight used pressure cooker to make risotto(?) Being generous probably not, and had it with leftover Christmas ham that i seal a mealed with my new toy still fresh for sure. Ham was mustard cinnamon ginger cumin sugar salt neelys holliday rub.

Man that soup (dahl) i made with lentils, chillean evoo, fresh mirepoix, boulion powder/water and that ham was epic. Ok not epic but tasted like a Nepalese restaurant. had with basmati rice all week. My kids were chowing it which tells you something cause they don't throw the chicken nuggets down for nothing.

Had a ceasar last night with grilled chicken that we grilled a bunch of and seal a mealed. I want to make a bunch of stuff and just be like what do i want tonight hmmm and have all these seal a meal options

Breakfast for dinner! Eggs fresh from the hens today, I concider this perfectly basted. You can see it is a balanced meal... Notice the vegetables on the plate! ;)

Those eggs look delicious. It doesn't take much to make some delicious eggs but I swear it gets lost on some people. Yours look perfect.

Those eggs look delicious. It doesn't take much to make some delicious eggs but I swear it gets lost on some people. Yours look perfect.

Thank you, I like the yolks runny and the whites cooked. I don't always, cook perfect eggs, but when I do... Share pictures! :mug:

LOL, thanks!

I think that butter and oils like olive, coconut, palm ARE healthy. It's the ones like canola and most vegetable oils that I avoid.

As do I, but I have a dairy allergy in the house, so even if butter isn't all that great for you.

Indian Quesadilla

Leftover Indian chicken, mexi blend cheese and jalapeños slapped between two rotis.

Decent. Oddly, paired with kimchi.

View attachment 1452125609426.jpg

Just finished Round 3 of Thanksgiving dinner. When the store has turkeys at .44/pound, how can you resist? So, oven-roasted turkey, stuffing, gravy, peas, pearl onions with butter sauce, homemade cranberry Serrano pepper sauce. Wish I had a pumpkin pie now!

I guess that dang chocolate/peanut butter/caramel fudge I made will have to suffice. 3 pieces left.

LOL, thanks!

I think that butter and oils like olive, coconut, palm ARE healthy. It's the ones like canola and most vegetable oils that I avoid.

Palm oil's health benefits are fairly questionable. Here's what the experts say:

"Palm oil is used around the world in such foods as margarine, shortening, baked goods, and candies. Biomedical research indicates that palm oil, which is high in saturated fat and low in polyunsaturated fat, promotes heart disease. Though less harmful than partially hydrogenated vegetable oil, it is far more conducive to heart disease than such heart-protective liquid oils as olive, soy, and canola. The National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, World Health Organization, and other health authorities have urged reduced consumption of oils like palm oil"

http://www.cspinet.org/new/pdf/palm_oil_final_5-27-05.pdf

As Oscar Wilde put it: “Everything in moderation, including moderation.” :mug:

Shrimp tacos. I tried something a little different this time. I sautéed the shrimp, and when they were about done, I took them out of the pan and roughly chopped them, and put them in a warm oven.

Then I deglazed the pan with beer (of course) the liquid from a can of corn and the liquid from a tomato. I suppose lime juice would have been good too. Anyway, I added about 1/4 cup of diced onion, 1/4 cup of diced tomato, a couple minced garlic cloves, salt and about a tsp of taco seasoning, to the pan and let it reduce.

The I tossed the shrimp in the sauce and put them into tortillas with avocado, tomato, diced onion and corn. Darn tasty. I'm about to have the leftovers for lunch.

@psylocide are you part asian? You have those pot stickers down. They always look good.

Speaking of Asian cuisine, ever had any good Hunan style food? I've only had it a few times, but it quickly became my favorite Chinese regional cuisine.

I made these a few days after Christmas: http://ladyandpups.com/2014/10/23/cumin-spare-ribs/

post-8528-0-25324200-1451278101.jpg

Delicious! It's a great blend of spice and spicy. Flavor-bomb all the way!

Palm oil's health benefits are fairly questionable. Here's what the experts say:

"Palm oil is used around the world in such foods as margarine, shortening, baked goods, and candies. Biomedical research indicates that palm oil, which is high in saturated fat and low in polyunsaturated fat, promotes heart disease. Though less harmful than partially hydrogenated vegetable oil, it is far more conducive to heart disease than such heart-protective liquid oils as olive, soy, and canola. The National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, World Health Organization, and other health authorities have urged reduced consumption of oils like palm oil"

http://www.cspinet.org/new/pdf/palm_oil_final_5-27-05.pdf

As Oscar Wilde put it: “Everything in moderation, including moderation.” :mug:

I disagree with the "experts" fairly regularly! LOL! I won't touch either soy or canola oil with a ten-foot fork - both are HIGHLY refined and extracted with chemicals, and the soy grown these days scares me. There is some evidence that it may mimic female hormones and some evidence that it may contribute to thyroid disorders.

My personal opinion, after years of research, is that your body knows what to do with "natural" fats like butter, coconut, palm oils, and of course BACON fat. Also the first pressing of olive oil.

So, as always, to each his/her own, and to each his/her own experts. But yeah - everything in moderation is probably the best bet.

Speaking of Asian cuisine, ever had any good Hunan style food? I've only had it a few times, but it quickly became my favorite Chinese regional cuisine.

I made these a few days after Christmas: http://ladyandpups.com/2014/10/23/cumin-spare-ribs/

post-8528-0-25324200-1451278101.jpg

Delicious! It's a great blend of spice and spicy. Flavor-bomb all the way!

Im not sure, but those little ribs (?) Look amazing! I have had little asian ribs but almost always on pupu (sp.?) Platter

Last night we had the leftovers of that pressure cooked John Elway chuck roast it basically became shredded and considering they didn't have carrots or potatoes or anything it was pretty good

Attachments

• 1452189931194.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 87
Im not sure, but those little ribs (?) Look amazing! I have had little asian ribs but almost always on pupu (sp.?) Platter

These are spare ribs that I had the butcher slice the slab lengthwise to create "riblets". Marinated in soy, ginger, and a few other things. Cooked them in foil on the grill until tender, separated them into individual ribs, then fried them in a wok, before tossing them in the wok with a whole boatload of spices (and hot peppers).

It's not very similar to the sort of thing you'd cook on the pu pu platter.

From what I've tasted, Hunan is very different than most Chinese cuisine. Like Sichuan, it's very spicy, but the flavor profiles are very different between the two. And most American Chinese is based on Cantonese, and most would argue very *loosely* based at that. So it's not often that you can find legitimate Hunan cuisine here. Best place I've eaten it is in Vancouver, actually. I'm looking to find a good Hunan spot in SoCal, but it's not easy.

Comfort food tonight: Meatloaf, oven fries, and sautéed spinach.

We should have Toll House cookies and vanilla ice cream too, jeez.

Never had Kraft Dinner last night. Bored.

Gross hamburgers tonight. Home made, but terrible. 93% lean meat. Cooked 1/4-lb. burgers barely 4 minutes, they shrank into tough, dry little hockey pucks.

Bleh.

Turkey sandwiches and homemad BBQ chips coming up here shortly. I sliced up all the meat from the turkey I roasted yesterday. Sandwich will consist of homemade sprouted wheat bread, mayo, homemade cranberry/Serrano sauce, smoked gouda, thinly-sliced turkey breast.

And of course washed down with a homebrew!

Burgers need fat;)

I know! Had I been left to do the shopping, I would come home with some 80%, or even the 73% I can find sometime. But I didn't buy it. Not gonna turn down free food, but I never like eating a hamburger where the bun is twice the size of the burger.

@slym2 one egg per pound of meat and 1/4-1/2 cup bread crumbs will make awesome burgers regardless of fat, some people call them meatbally yes thats a word.

I can't quite decide how I feel on eggs in burgers. I've had some really good moist yet firm ones with the egg, but a lot of the time the flavor just seems off. Too meatloafy with the egg.

Latest posts

Back