What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also made a big batch of blackeyed peas yesterday, using 3 ham hocks, 2 bottles of homebrewed Porter, and a quart of homecanned roasted chicken stock, water enough to cover, a couple onions, plenty of garlic, bay leaves, and some seasonings.

We'll have it today with cornbread and possibly some cooked greens if I get around to it and the bag in the crisper drawer is still viable! Will try to get a picture before we eat it up.

Let it cool a bit before serving... ( rolling pin is a prop today, a frozen pie crust obviously)

image.jpg

Gonna do my favorite way to use leftover smoked pork butt: mix it up with peppers, onions, peapods, and water chestnuts, and serve it over rice with a sauce made from ginger, garlic, and soy sauce. If there's any left, breakfast hash with potatoes and onions.

Beautiful dishes!
@staestc nice soup wow
@gavin love the use of Christmas ham and those eggs looked perfect.
@eric i like the effects you used for a picture
@eric those potatoes look so tasty. I love fried potatoes. Is that a loin or tenderloin? Looks good

My back has had me down for days, now. I am so missing out on contributing New Years dishes! Glad I can enjoy vicariously here! I did manage some Shake and Bake drumsticks tonight and more vac sealed and marinating in some soy, sugar, ginger, salt and pepper, to bake tomorrow. Also have a pork butt go in the crock pot Monday.

My back has had me down for days, now. I am so missing out on contributing New Years dishes! Glad I can enjoy vicariously here! I did manage some Shake and Bake drumsticks tonight and more vac sealed and marinating in some soy, sugar, ginger, salt and pepper, to bake tomorrow. Also have a pork butt go in the crock pot Monday.

I probably speak for everybody when I say your contributions are really missed! Hope your back improves quickly! Happy New Year!

Me three! My mom gave me a pressure cooker as i wanted predicted im so happy made rice right away and then threw in rock solid frozen chuck roast with celery onion bay leaf salt evoo tblspn of tomato paste and can of beef broth cause that's all we had no potatos or carrots. After 50 min was worried it was tough and dry? Assumed it wasn't broken down enough yet so gave it 20 minutes more and it's fork tender. Made a slurry with flour and dumped it in and gave it 15 minutes more for good measure. Will get a picture up when done.

@remmy wow you really kill it!

Thanks Chef! Still going well, but now I'm pissed. Moved it inside now. Had three exchange tanks of propane from Blue Rhino via Walmart. First on worked fine but ran out. Second one leaks propane through the valve regardless of which of my three regulators I hook it to. Third one has a valve that will not move even with channel locks but does seem to be leaking slowly. In my opinion this is inexcusable and extraordinarily dangerous. I am one of those people that actually check for leaks each time I hook up a new cylinder, but most probably do not. In this case the valve leak could be heard! I figured out that the other valve that would not move was leaking with a soapy water test. In my opinion there is no excuse for sending out bottles that do not function, much less sending out bottles with valves that actually leak when employed as directed. This is just dangerous and I am pissed. I emailed Blue Rhino before I posted here. But damn.

@staestc man that sucks im not surprised. yeah we probably don't check that's why the gas companys put in a test for us that is unmistakable.

So damn i got the mike ditka chuck roast here on its way to 1 1/2 hours in pressure cooker. Any thoughts i want this puppy splitting with tongs

@staestc man that sucks im not surprised. yeah we probably don't check that's why the gas companys put in a test for us that is unmistakable.

So damn i got the mike ditka chuck roast here on its way to 1 1/2 hours in pressure cooker. Any thoughts i want this puppy splitting with tongs

I have a pressure cooker, but have only used it for canning things and not actually cooking. I know times are shorter due to higher temps, but can offer no more than that.

I made some potato mush with peppers, onions, and leftover pork mixed in.

... I really pictured the final product differently in my mind.

2.5 lbs of browned pork loin, fresh oregano, fresh sage, cumin, garlic, and left over red onion in the summer stage. Chili sauce goes in the pot in a little while but is made from passilo, ancho, and Guajillo dried chilies rehydrated with boiling chicken stock then puréed in the blender.
View attachment 327172View attachment 327173
This will be Chili Colorado when done.

Sounds like Carne Adovada. Mine is simmering at the moment. I had 4# of pork loin left over from new years. I used the same chilis (Passila/Ancho/Guajillo, and also chipotle to make it spicy).

Are you having yours in a bowl, on rice, or in tortillas?

Back