What did happen to my water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

selivem

Reaction score
I decided to do some cleaning today. I filled my pot with water coming from the garden faucet and look at the color!? What the ...?

DSC_0115_1.jpg

What is going on?

Assuming that it didn't come out of the faucet that way its probably just dried hop matter and maybe some dried wort in the bottom of the pot... rinse it out a few times and you'll be fine.

That does not look good to me. When is the last time you ran your garden faucet? If you let your water run for a few minutes does it clear?

I haven't used it for a week or two. I let the water run 5 min and it became clear again. Do you think it is rust or dirt?

It went through a hose. I'm glad it's not the one I use for my liquor tank. I'm still puzzled how dirt could get into it.

This makes me thinking buying an RO system. But I'm having difficulties getting over the amount off waste water created with RO.

Its probably the actual hose breaking down from laying in the sun during the summer, potentially freezing in the winter, rinse and repeat over a few years and you get what you are seeing today. Buy a good RV hose and dedicate it to brewing and you will stop seeing these problems.

Its probably the actual hose breaking down from laying in the sun during the summer, potentially freezing in the winter, rinse and repeat over a few years and you get what you are seeing today. Buy a good RV hose and dedicate it to brewing and you will stop seeing these problems.

+1 This is why they tell you not to drink out of the hose

I have a short 10' piece of hose that does this on a regular basis. The only thing i run through the hose is cooling water.

Are you on a well or city water? How old are your pipes? Check your water meter for movement when the water is shut off. Is that the only outlet where the water was this color? Any odor? if city water, have they had any problem or given notice of cleaning lines?

Back