What category should Black IPA go in?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pommy

Reaction score
Before this becomes another CDA vs BIPA vs XYZ thread I just want to know what category these beers should be entered under in competition if there is no category listed as any name you would normally call this beer style. Also there was no American Stout or American Porter styles (it was a competition in New Zealand) and it was kicked out of the speciality/herb/spice/experimental style for been out of class :confused:

First person to turn this thread into another thread arguing the name of the beer style (CDA, Black IPA rather than a recognised competition style) you are an idiot and thank you very much :fro:

It's my understanding that it can only be kicked out of 23 if it obviously fits another class, right? Did they say what it would then fit?

Any chance of a 14D: Black IPA being developed?

In Beersmith I chose "American-Style India Black Ale" as the style for my Black IPA recipes.

Well category 23 is a different category than the category with spice/herb/vegetable which is category 21 .

Thanks for the replies, it was a non BCJP competition (I dont know of any over here) and these were the category styles... NZ Dark is more of a brown porter using NZ hops certainly not a CDA/BIPA etc I entered it under 9.5 and wrote on it that it was a "Black IPA" so that it would avoid confusion and I thought they would reclass it if needed. They haven't got my feedback out to me yet so I don't know what the issue was.

Category Styles within category Entries

B1: Light Beer/Low Alcohol
B1.1. Standard Light Beer
B1.2 Low Alcohol

B2: Pilsner
B2.1 German Pilsner
B2.2 Bohemian Pilsner
B2.3 NZ & New World Pilsner

B3: Lager
B3.1 NZ Standard Lager
B3.2Vienna Lager
B3.3 Munich Lager