What came in the mail for you today?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A bag of good ole flaked wheat
20180516_011625.jpeg

Just got a 1600 watt element from @hunter306

20646-jpg.561181

I'm gonna throw this in an old 8 gallon pot and install my herms stainless coil from speidel in it and use a grainfather older controller to set the temp and have an electric herms / hlt ..

Auber controller, MKII pump, (2) MKII stainless steel heads (second one is for another MKII pump I already own), (2) stainless steel tees, Fermcap, Whirlfloc, IO Star Ipdophor...

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1,010.2 KB · Views: 114
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1,021 KB · Views: 98
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    915.7 KB · Views: 96
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 112
Awesome!! What kinda scope did you end up with, I just got all that and have yet to use it.. But I will be plating some yeast this weekend which will be fun :)

I went against my usual SOP and went cheap with this one. Less than a hundred bucks from lord Amazon. AmScope M150C-PS25. That image was only 400x. Figured I'd see how this one worked and what i used it for besides going to to the next level, which can cost as much as a nice conical.

First run wasn't great but wasn't bad. Lot of new tools and rusty techniques. I over diluted and found my measurement instruments aren't very accurate. Also the instructions I followed i think called for about 100x as much methylene blue as was actually needed. The samples were so stained it was hard to see.

Valve, hops, water treatments, rice hulls, yeast, more Whirlfloc, misc...

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    940.9 KB · Views: 90
Is that a "U" tube densitometer? Where did you get it & how much? Did it come with a spec sheet?

Brew on :mug:
Yes. It's from Anton paar. Spent more than I would like to admit (544 after tax and shipping)

Came with a calibration certificate. Not sure about a spec sheet.

Supposed to be accurate to 0.3 Plato.

Couple of pounds of hops and a Blichmann AutoSparge plus an extra longer arm.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    922.4 KB · Views: 95
Some different sizes of conical flasks, pipets and some autoclavable sample tubes
Starting to collect stuff to freeze yeast.

Got some glucerin the other week. Now I need to find a cheap preassure cooker that will work on my induction cooktop.
I have no use for a preassure cooker other than sterialisation.

Got mine back in December your going to love it!

Just finished putting it all together and did the wet run test. Everything worked like a charm. Will spend sometime this weekend figuring boil off and run it through its paces again to familiarize myself a bit more before attempting a brew.
When you figure your strike temp how much of a drop do you usually get because of the cofi filter over and above the normal drop from the grains ?

Just finished putting it all together and did the wet run test. Everything worked like a charm. Will spend sometime this weekend figuring boil off and run it through its paces again to familiarize myself a bit more before attempting a brew.
When you figure your strike temp how much of a drop do you usually get because of the cofi filter over and above the normal drop from the grains ?

I usually set my strike temp 2 degrees above mash and it works itself out over a few minutes of recirculation.

Back