What came in the mail for you today?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got a 64GB SD Extreme Pro mem card for the Canon Power Hog. Darn camera gives " Memory card error" card locked!...no matter which way I slide the little lever. They shipped it between two pieces of pasteboard. I think it got damaged in shipment? Bloody 'ell!

Plasma cutter.. .

Awesome...I just ordered this yesterday...cant wait!

Everlast.jpg

Not exactly "in the mail" but my new Chest Freezer was delivered today! I'll be using it as a ferm chamber!

I use the exact same set up and you need this to help prevent mold:

Damprid

91hrlExXbmL._SL1500_.jpg

That freezer works like a champ!

Last edited by a moderator:
What was the deciding factor over the other vendors? I'm still thinking on who to go with for my next kettle.

i wanted top-of-the-line and started with looking at blichmann. great products but a few things rubbed me the wrong way. i stumbled across spike and after some research, went with them. a blichmann g2 presently costs $415 for a 20 gal boilermaker g2, the spike version presently costs $280. to be fair, this isn't a truly apples-to-apples comparison. the g2 comes with a sight glass, thermometer, dip tube and outlet valve while the spike kettle does not. but that is kind of the point: you pay for those features with blichmann whether you want them or not. already have a thermometer? you're paying for a new one. don't need a sight glass? too bad, you're paying for one. don't want to use the linear flow outlet valve? sorry, added to the bill.

spike offers all those features but as 'a la carte' pricing. you get to pick/choose what you want. plus they do custom welding work for very reasonable pricing. welded vs. weldless fittings, i'm indifferent but as a guy who has limited metal experience, i wasn't interested in buying a $400+ kettle and starting to punch holes in it to work with my setup. spike made this a no-brainer choice for me.

and they are wisconsin-based so i can't argue with that.:mug:

I use the exact same set up and you need this to help prevent mold:

Damprid

91hrlExXbmL._SL1500_.jpg

That freezer works like a champ!

Another good option is Eva Dry. Unlike this (which i think is calcium chloride based) which is consumed and then you have to through away, it uses a reusable silica gel desiccant.

I bought a pair almost 5 years ago and i just plug them in about once a month or so to 'recharge'.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another good option is Eva Dry. Unlike this (which i think is calcium chloride based) which is consumed and then you have to through away, it uses a reusable silica gel desiccant.

I bought a pair almost 5 years ago and i just plug them in about once a month or so to 'recharge'.

+1 for eva dry, it works great!

Dermapaw for my dog. So far she hasn't licked her paws. Fingers crossed it isn't just my imagination and keeps working.

20160601_164643_resized_zpscccgkvjy.jpg

bar magnets for my stir plate build, usb fans for the stir plate/keezer/fermentation chamber, silicone mat for my electric boil kettle and an o-ring for one of my ro/di system canisters.

my 9 gallon ss bayou classic pot and my 10 gallon cooler bag from "brew bag". Great service from brew bag, impressed with shipping time...

Update for those whom were asking about the Lavatools Javelin Pro.

It is quick and accurate, defiantly gives the thermapen a run for its money, especially at $52.

Got my new erlenmeyer flask today. Still waiting on magnets from eBay and need to find a cigar box so I can make a stir plate.

Got my new erlenmeyer flask today. Still waiting on magnets from eBay and need to find a cigar box so I can make a stir plate.

at a similar point as you in regards to sir plate build. had this waiting for me on friday when i got home from work:

20160603_174410_resized_zpsra3uabnf.jpg

two 5 liter erlenmeyer flasks and two stir bars. also got a mash stir paddle, keg lube, ph meter, electrode storage solution, calibration solution, oxygenator kit for pitching yeast and some o-rings for my ro/di system.

and on saturday, got replacement sight glass shields from spike brewing.

Update for those whom were asking about the Lavatools Javelin Pro.

It is quick and accurate, defiantly gives the thermapen a run for its money, especially at $52.

Thanks for the update...repost that link if you get a chance. I am thinking someone needs to get me one for my birthday.

at a similar point as you in regards to sir plate build. had this waiting for me on friday when i got home from work:

20160603_174410_resized_zpsra3uabnf.jpg

two 5 liter erlenmeyer flasks and two stir bars. also got a mash stir paddle, keg lube, ph meter, electrode storage solution, calibration solution, oxygenator kit for pitching yeast and some o-rings for my ro/di system.

and on saturday, got replacement sight glass shields from spike brewing.

That
is
Awesome!

Back