What Brew Pot to buy next?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craig_reed

Reaction score
I need some help trying to figure out what brewpot I should buy next. I have looked at a few, and just want to get some people's opinions.

I am currently using a 6 gallon aluminum pot that has really turned out some good beers, however, I can't do full boils.

I probably have 100 gallons of extract w/ specialty grain brewing under my belt and am going to look at moving to all grain in the fall (taking a class at my homebrew club locally).

So what I would like to get is a pot that I could use for both my 5 gallon extract I will keep doing in the mean time but will also be suitable for all grain. I am looking at 32 qt, and would like one with a spigot and temperature gauge already on it (not sure how to add those later?)

Here is one I was looking at that got great reviews, but don't want it to be a pot I am going to have to upgrade again.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009JXYUA/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :mug:

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been doing the same research for weeks. The general trend I've noticed is: bigger is always better. Which is why I've decided to spring for the 15.5 gal Penrose kettle (Aug 1st can't come soon enough!!). I can imagine doing 10 gal batches someday soon, and experimenting in two carboys with different yeasts, etc...

Also unless you plan on using the same kettle as your HLT or mash tun later there's not much need for a thermometer.

As far as adding accessories later, you can go weldless (like what you'll see on bargainfittings.com) or contact a local welder who has brew/stainless experience. The owner of my LHBS charges $20 for the welding work and 1/2" fitting.

Thanks for the reply -

I will have to check that one out and go from there. I was thinking the thermometer would be nice so I don't have to have my useless thermometer to check the temp all the time.

I've been doing the same research for weeks. The general trend I've noticed is: bigger is always better. Which is why I've decided to spring for the 15.5 gal Penrose kettle (Aug 1st can't come soon enough!!). I can imagine doing 10 gal batches someday soon, and experimenting in two carboys with different yeasts, etc...

" fitting.

That pot looks awesome, and the price seems very reasonable at $189.99 for what it is. The Behemouth looks pretty crazy also, is it a brewpot or just a fermenter?

If I had the money then I'd definitely go with the Blichmann boilermaker pots. I use kegs and that works really well. No need for a thermo on your boil kettle in my opinion. I suppose it's nice after the boil when you're cooling, but not really worth the price to me. I just use a thermapen and take temps manually at that point. An 8 gallon pot should be ok for most 5 gallon recipes when you go to all grain. Could have some boil overs if you aren't careful though. I usually have about 7.5 gallons when I start the boil so you aren't leaving yourself a lot of wiggle room there....

That pot looks awesome, and the price seems very reasonable at $189.99 for what it is. The Behemouth looks pretty crazy also, is it a brewpot or just a fermenter?

Yeah, they ship it for that price!

The brewhemoth is a fermentor only.

Just noticed you're in Seattle too...are you a member of the Impaling Alers? I'm going to my first meeting in Aug. Larry down at Larry's Homebrew store is the guy I mentioned who does the welding.
:mug:

I went with keggles and love them. Bought them locally for $30 each and tossed on some SS hardware to convert them. Durable and easy to use. I can do 10 gal full boils if I want to.

Yeah, they ship it for that price!

The brewhemoth is a fermentor only.

Just noticed you're in Seattle too...are you a member of the Impaling Alers? I'm going to my first meeting in Aug. Larry down at Larry's Homebrew store is the guy I mentioned who does the welding.
:mug:

No, I am not a member, however, that is where I get all of my supplies from. I wanted to join, but feel a bit awkward as I am still pretty new to brewing, and not sure how receptive they are. I am going to take their all grain class in October though - Maybe I'll go down to the same meeting you are?

Most people doing all grain seem to have 15 gallon pots. I do BIAB AG in a 15.5 gallon keggle, and usually start with about 8-9 gallons of water and the grains displace about 3-4 gallons of space, so even for a 5 gallon batch, I'm using 75-80% of the total pot volume.

Go big!!

This seems like a decent deal from Williams: http://www.williamsbrewing.com/FACTORY-SECOND-BREWERS-EDGE-32-QUART-BREWKETTLE-P2766C203.aspx

This one is more expensive, but it has all of the bells and whistles you sound interested in: http://www.highlanderbrewingsupply.com/servlet/the-20/10-Gallon-Hot-Liquor/Detail

P.S. I use the Penrose; big fan, would recommend to anyone. Oh, and a good buddy uses the one in the original post - another great kettle - if it size you want, go for it. You will not have any regrets.

Thanks guys for the great recommendations. The original one from Amazon was cheap, but all of these look great. Now I am even more torn, but I think anyway I go it will end up with good beer. General consensus seems to be GO BIG.

I haven't used any pots with a ball valve etc, but I am assuming that is just to transfer the beer to fermenter? What do you hook up to it to make the transfer, just a hose?

You can use the all valve as you describe in it's most simple form. Just gravity feed out of the brew kettle through some silicone tubing (silicone to handle the high temps) to the fermenter.

Most people step up to the ball valves to add in-line plate chillers, recirculating pumps, and things like that.

Thanks guys for the great recommendations. The original one from Amazon was cheap, but all of these look great. Now I am even more torn, but I think anyway I go it will end up with good beer. General consensus seems to be GO BIG.

I haven't used any pots with a ball valve etc, but I am assuming that is just to transfer the beer to fermenter? What do you hook up to it to make the transfer, just a hose?

I got the bayou classic pot from amazon 3 weeks ago, but I went for the 62quart with the basket to BIAB. At first, I thought 42 quart would be enough, but after reading more post here on HBT, and also on biabrewer.info, it looked like bigger was better, and it is true! You have enough headspace, no need to worry about boil over, and enough space for water + grain.

Also, I asked myself the same questions as you do now:
* regarding the ball valve, I figured I would add it later if needed. I do not regret not having it, because cleaning the pot is much easier without having anything on the side: I can simply lay the pot on the counter, and roll it to clean/rinse. With a ball valve, I could not roll it all the way. I agree that a ball valve might be useful to empty the pot, but so far my siphon is enough.

* sight glass: same as the ball valve, I can add it later if needed. But I won't: I do not want more things to clean. What I use instead is a 18" (exactly the size of the pot!) stainless ruler (8$ from home depot) that I simply dip in the wort. I know with this pot that 1" corresponds to 0.8 gallon. Very convenient.

No, I am not a member, however, that is where I get all of my supplies from. I wanted to join, but feel a bit awkward as I am still pretty new to brewing, and not sure how receptive they are. I am going to take their all grain class in October though - Maybe I'll go down to the same meeting you are?

Yeah man, it'd be nice to have another club noob there. They meet every 3rd Fri of the month, I'll be there at the Aug 19 mtg.

http://www.impalingalers.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=77&Itemid=100002

I got the bayou classic pot from amazon 3 weeks ago, but I went for the 62quart with the basket to BIAB. At first, I thought 42 quart would be enough, but after reading more post here on HBT, and also on biabrewer.info, it looked like bigger was better, and it is true! You have enough headspace, no need to worry about boil over, and enough space for water + grain.

Also, I asked myself the same questions as you do now:
* regarding the ball valve, I figured I would add it later if needed. I do not regret not having it, because cleaning the pot is much easier without having anything on the side: I can simply lay the pot on the counter, and roll it to clean/rinse. With a ball valve, I could not roll it all the way. I agree that a ball valve might be useful to empty the pot, but so far my siphon is enough.

* sight glass: same as the ball valve, I can add it later if needed. But I won't: I do not want more things to clean. What I use instead is a 18" (exactly the size of the pot!) stainless ruler (8$ from home depot) that I simply dip in the wort. I know with this pot that 1" corresponds to 0.8 gallon. Very convenient.

Great point. I am leaning towards the Bayou Classic as well. When you siphon from the pot, what do you use as a strainer to keep hops and some of the grain from getting in your fermenter? Or do you?

Hey, I have the 36 quart Bayou kettle, purchased from amazon. Its very nice. Doesn't come with spigot or thermometer, the user who added his pics added those himself. But yea, you can find weldless spigots and thermometers you just need to drill a hole. but the kettle is great

Great point. I am leaning towards the Bayou Classic as well. When you siphon from the pot, what do you use as a strainer to keep hops and some of the grain from getting in your fermenter? Or do you?

No I do not filter anything when siphoning. But I always put the hops in a bag, and the grains are in a bag as well. I always have a little bit of hops going through the bag, but really not much. Those just end up a the bottom of the fermenter.

Reading through this thread I saw several people dismiss thermometers in a BK as unnecessary.

Necessary? No. But I am really glad I have one. I can be cleaning my mash tun or doing other things while my wort comes to a boil with the lid on. Quick glances at the thermometer are all that is needed. When the temp reading says 205, I know to stop all other things remove the lid and tend to the BK to stop boil overs before they happen. After having one I would not go without one again.

rcrabb, that is my thoughts exactly. It is sometimes a pain to constantly check to see where you are at (steeping grains or bringing to boil) so I thought it would be a nice feature to have.

I know that it is not necessary, but maybe a luxury! :D

I do not have a thermometer in my kettle, but I sure wouldn't mind if I did! Earlier you asked about what to use the ball valve for, transferring wort is nice - with a whirlpool and a 90 degree pick up, I do not get too much trub in the fermentor. Another nice use it for transfering strike and sparge water as seen below (1st pic is a penrose, 2nd pic is a Bayou classic with a weldless ball valve on it):

IMAG1314.jpg

IMAG1315.jpg

Awesome.. thanks for the pictures! Both kettles look awesome.

Since right now I am just on extract with specialty grain, I am assuming the only real thing I would use the valve for is to transfer the wort to my fermenter after cooling, which still is nice considering that cuts out a racking step (or in some cases, picking up the kettle and dumping it into fermenter through a strainer!)

I am planning on a 12" bazooka screen inside my BK to act as hop filter when draining to the fermenter. I hear they're fine for whole hops but tend to clog with pellets.

Thanks, I am leaning towards the one on Amazon, got great reviews and 99% of them were from homebrewers. But the Penrose Kettle looks great to, and was made and designed by professional brewers, but it is 2.5x the price.

Thanks for the feedback so far!

I would never recc buying a pot smaller than 15G if you plan on brewing AG, and if you ever think you would ever want to do a 10G batch. You can use a 15G pot for a 5G batch, but you will get boil overs unless you watch your pot like a hawk on and 8 or even a 10G pot.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VXD94A/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 - smallest you should go IMO, if you want bayou classic.

I really like the megapots (update international, etc.) and obviously the blichmann. I have a 15G Megapot BK and HLT and a blichman 15g MT.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you haven't, also check out bargain fittings.

I just feel like if anybody reccs a 8-10 gallon pot for an up and coming AG brewer,... that is like me telling you to get a BMX bike to go mountain bike single track riding. Sure you will save a few bucks but... You are going to out grow that bike real quick, and it isn't suited for your intentions.

I just feel like if anybody reccs a 8-10 gallon pot for an up and coming AG brewer,... that is like me telling you to get a BMX bike to go mountain bike single track riding. Sure you will save a few bucks but... You are going to out grow that bike real quick, and it isn't suited for your intentions.

Good call! I am looking at no smaller than a 15 gallon. That should be sufficient right?

MTBer and brewer? You have to be a good guy. :mug:

MTBer and brewer? You have to be a good guy. :mug:

Ha!

Funny I saw your local and smiled. One of my brothers lives our in Seattle in the metro area. He loves getting out for a rip as well. He has been into it for a long time, so he has me on his equipment ($2500 full suspension hot rod ha - I think it is a fuel?).

I just upgraded the the trek 4500 disc (~$800), still a newbie bike by some standards I guess! But I am newer to MTB (but love it). I have been a pretty serious trad rock climber for years and years though. Harder to climb where I live now, which really sucks.

craig_reed I think 15G is ideal for AG 5 and 10G batches. the only reason to step up from there is if you really start taking on quantity (15g and up sized batches).

Ha!

Funny I saw your local and smiled. One of my brothers lives our in Seattle in the metro area. He loves getting out for a rip as well. He has been into it for a long time, so he has me on his equipment ($2500 full suspension hot rod ha - I think it is a fuel?).

I just upgraded the the trek 4500 disc (~$800), still a newbie bike by some standards I guess! But I am newer to MTB (but love it). I have been a pretty serious trad rock climber for years and years though. Harder to climb where I live now, which really sucks.

craig_reed I think 15G is ideal for AG 5 and 10G batches. the only reason to step up from there is if you really start taking on quantity (15g and up sized batches).

From B.C. through Oregon this definitely is a MTB mecca. My wife and I used to have 11 bikes between us. Now it's down to 4. I've got an EVIL hardtail, Knolly Endorphin, and Turner Highline. She's likely getting a Trek Remedy next spring. Just another addiction... :cross:

From B.C. through Oregon this definitely is a MTB mecca. My wife and I used to have 11 bikes between us. Now it's down to 4. I've got an EVIL hardtail, Knolly Endorphin, and Turner Highline. She's likely getting a Trek Remedy next spring. Just another addiction... :cross:

Yup they are all deadly!

Bend OR is awesome. We went out there and tipped just under 30 miles and it felt like 10 because there was so much variability. Unreal single track.

Due to brewing, I didn't have the extra coin to spend on the bike, had to fight to get my trek hardtail. But I love it.

There are a bunch of places in BC I have heard about that are supposed to be awesome back woods trad climbing.... someday... ;)

For the record - I love it out in all those areas. What put in OR was smith rock: awesome climbing the monkey face, 350ft spire:
http://www.google.com/search?q=monk...&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi&biw=1028&bih=522

Back