What books do you recommend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h22lude

Reaction score
I'm looking for good books to read just to get more knowledge on all aspects of brewing.

Right now I have Extreme Brewing by Sam Calagione which was a really good starter book. I just went to the book store to pick up How To Brew which they had in stock but when I got there the lady said it was packed in boxes from Xmas and she can't get it out now. So I will be buying How To Brew online.

I'm also getting Yeast: The Practical Guide To Beer Fermentation. I figured this would be a really good book on how to make starters and start using my own yeast.

What other good books are out there that are worth buying? I'm looking for books that go into detail different steps for beginners with extract brewing to advanced brewers using all grain full boil.

I heard the Complete Joy of Homebrewing was a good one but I don't know if that would be very similar to How To Brew.

I believe the howtobrew.com is the 1st edition, where you can get the more recent and updated one, if you order the book. I don't have the book, and just use the site for reference, but I'm sure the newest edition would be good to have. I should be getting Designing Great Beers tonight...as a late xmas present! :) Looks like its going to be a really good one! Not just stuffed with recipes, but actual useful information on designing solid recipes.

Designing my own recipes is one thing I want to learn so I might have to look at that book as well

I just read 'Wild Brews' which is a good book if you are interested in sour or funky beers. Another good thing to do is join as many blogs as you can find starting with www.themadfermentationist.com his is good and he has a lot of links to other blogs he follows. Besides that read this forum every chance you get, there are a lot of great brewers on here with a ton of experience that can be hugely helpful.

cheers

Brewing Classic Styles. For example recipes and explanation of style characteristics and how to achieve them in your beers.

Well it looks like I have a lot of reading to do lol Once I joined this forum, I have not stopped looking at it. Even at work I will go on my phone to look at new posts.

I really want to get to know the ins and outs of extract brewing just to get familiar with how it works before moving onto grain brewing. Just from reading on here I have improved my technique.

I wish there wasn't so much damn traffic to get into the mall parking lot or I would go to the book store and pick up more books haha

When you're ready to buy, check Amazon. Their prices are great and most books qualify for free shipping.

+1 The complete Joy of Homebrewing. I'd like to pick up a copy of radical brewing as well as it looked like it might be interesting.

I have read complete joy of homebrewing and how to brew and both are great. extreme brewing is next on my list.

My recommendations:

Complete Joy
How to Brew (I use the online version)

Its not homebrew specific, but I love Charles Bamforth's "Beer: Tap into the art and science of brewing". The guy has a ridiculously fantastic resume and a level-headed perspective on the beer universe. He's also quite funny.

I highly recommend Extreme Brewing. It is very basic but has good info plus a lot of good Dogfish recipes.

I did see Beer at the book store and was going to pick it up but I want to read How To Brew first.

I was looking on Amazon. I might just go on a book shopping spree and order them all at once.

Latest posts

Back