What book is on your nightstand? Readers!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Conor O'Brien's Across Three Oceans, an account of ocean cruising in the 1920s.
Just finished Lost Voyages, Two Centuries of Shipwrecks in the Approaches to New York. Also working on Canoes, A Natural History in North America.
There appears to be a theme.

I read a lot of these types of books. If you want recommendations, let me know. Try Skeletons on the Zahara, for example.

514OmWrV8EL._AC_US218_.jpg

Thanks PP.
Sailing is my passion, traditional boats only. I have an extensive library, but I'm always looking for more.
I have read, and watched survival and adventure stories in other settings too.

Need a break from brewing stuff, so back to a great passion, WWII history. Reading (Sir) Max Hastings's Overlord right now; as well as his Armageddon, which details the push to final collapse of Germany - from both directions. It wasn't till reading Armageddon years ago that I knew anything much about the Soviet contribution, save Stalin's and Zhukov's willingness, with Hitler, to spill blood. A brilliant work in my opinion.

In gratitude for the read, I actually wrote to Sir Hastings, and in a humbling move, he wrote a nice little note back. If you're into this same period, highly recommend his work.

Thanks PP.
Sailing is my passion, traditional boats only. I have an extensive library, but I'm always looking for more.
I have read, and watched survival and adventure stories in other settings too.

John, that's a beautiful avatar. My FIL is equally in love with sailing and the sea. I try to find books for him, but it seems he's read them all. He introduced me to O'Brien, and think it was he who suggested Goldings's Sea Trilogy, which I really enjoyed (Also enjoyed Pincher Martin, which stunned me at its conclusion. Inheritors and of course, Flies).

Thanks Gad.
The avatar is Wandering Star, my 39' wooden ketch. That shot was taken from the beach by my wife, with her phone. It was also an experimental sailing day, mostly one handed. I had dislocated my shoulder a few weeks before and it was first time out alone since the injury.

Just beautiful, John. Dislocated shoulder is ZERO fun, kudos for you for getting out.

The story of The Dove lit me up as I approached teenhood. Consumed everything about it in National Geographics we owned, his book, outside articles; my (navy flight instructor) stepdad loaned me his Bowditch and I bought charts, as I was going to sail to the same haunts as Robin Graham.

Just needed to hop into a Laser for the first time, and pull my first come-about.:oops:

Beautiful Ketch, John. Congratulations.

About half way through The Jekyll Revelation. It's pretty interesting, with famous characters from the past interleaved into the story. One of the characters is Robert Louis Stevenson.

51QzhrVaOTL.jpg
This sounded interesting so I downloaded to my kindle. Just finished it, terrific read, one of the better novels I’ve read lately. I may try his Einstein Prophecy next.

Need a break from brewing stuff, so back to a great passion, WWII history. Reading (Sir) Max Hastings's Overlord right now; as well as his Armageddon, which details the push to final collapse of Germany - from both directions. It wasn't till reading Armageddon years ago that I knew anything much about the Soviet contribution, save Stalin's and Zhukov's willingness, with Hitler, to spill blood. A brilliant work in my opinion.

In gratitude for the read, I actually wrote to Sir Hastings, and in a humbling move, he wrote a nice little note back. If you're into this same period, highly recommend his work.

Have you read Kershaw's "Hitler" two volume set, "Hubris" & "Nemesis?" Excellent work. B Liddell Hart also produced some good stuff on Nazi Germany, though the best is "The German Generals Talk." It is quite interesting to hear panzer commanders discuss tactics that Hart theorized about.

Have you read Kershaw's "Hitler" two volume set, "Hubris" & "Nemesis?" Excellent work. B Liddell Hart also produced some good stuff on Nazi Germany, though the best is "The German Generals Talk." It is quite interesting to hear panzer commanders discuss tactics that Hart theorized about.

Wow, not read any of them, thanks, triethylborane. Added to my cart. Also interested in Weimar, though I have at least a decent command - but more from a social structure and coalition politics perspective, less on social or other history. The whole interwar interests me actually, so if you have any others, would love to read them.

My mind is thinking on Hajo Holborn's A History of Modern Germany series. Pretty misty now, but I was at one time particularly interested in the mid-19th century nationalist movements across Europe, and how it played in in Germany; and Holborn covers it well (it's V. 3; V. I is the Reformation, V. 2 is 1648-1840, V. 2 is 1840-1945. Holborn really lit me up as it was a theory of nation-state development that I was working on, using a lot of Germany's experience on the way to Bismarck as material. And he's dense in those mid- to late-century movements and trends.

Funny timing, literally just now bedside, re-reading the brewing material series (current, Malt), and just kind of aimlessly bored and considering another historical period. Ridiculous way in, I know, but watching with my wife the Tudors has rekindled my desire to dive in more deeply to the period, as well as English history generally (I have some Anglo-Saxon, but very surface otherwise). Tapped on re-reads of ancient history, and thought I'd read plenty on WWII so this is awesome - really looking forward to them, thanks again.1648-1840, and 3, 1840-1945).

Right now, I'm picking up a book I never got even close to finishing many years ago. Europe, Norman Davies. We'll see if I can make it this time, monster of a book.

Cheers, thanks again, triethylborane.

This sounded interesting so I downloaded to my kindle. Just finished it, terrific read, one of the better novels I’ve read lately. I may try his Einstein Prophecy next.

You might also consider this. It was a very good read, and I noticed in the paper this morning it's now a movie. Besides a book cover smilar to the Jekyl book, The Alienist has Teddy Roosevelt as one of it's main characters in finding a serial murderer 100 yrs ago. Recommended.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BTM9CTI/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

51HHvtwX0QL._SX282_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This one becomes a movie later this year. Speilberg. I loved loved this book. Check it out.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0307887448/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

61d6DhRCBSL._SX322_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I knew nothing about this except I heard my kids read it and really liked it. I was not really expecting to like it, but I decided to try it out since the movie was coming out. And it ended up being a real page turner! The writing style is not bad for someone the author's age. I did like the 80's references.

Not sure about the movie yet. I'm withholding judgement until I see it.

I'm currently reading A Wrinkle in Time. I hear the movie is coming out soon, and I'd never read it, but always wanted to, so it was a good reminder to check it out. It's a quick read, but I like it so far. It's got elements of some of the classic SciFi writers from the dawn of the genre, and some 60s style, but it's fairly modern in feel too. I think I would have loved it more as a kid in the 80s, though.

Yeast,water,hops,malt are the best books since the Holy Bible

On the third book of Miss Peregrine's home for peculiar children. It is a decent series, but not really what I was excepting, I am looking forward to finishing it up. Before that was A God in the Shed.

Wow, not read any of them, thanks, triethylborane. Added to my cart. Also interested in Weimar, though I have at least a decent command - but more from a social structure and coalition politics perspective, less on social or other history. The whole interwar interests me actually, so if you have any others, would love to read them.

My mind is thinking on Hajo Holborn's A History of Modern Germany series. Pretty misty now, but I was at one time particularly interested in the mid-19th century nationalist movements across Europe, and how it played in in Germany; and Holborn covers it well (it's V. 3; V. I is the Reformation, V. 2 is 1648-1840, V. 2 is 1840-1945. Holborn really lit me up as it was a theory of nation-state development that I was working on, using a lot of Germany's experience on the way to Bismarck as material. And he's dense in those mid- to late-century movements and trends.

Funny timing, literally just now bedside, re-reading the brewing material series (current, Malt), and just kind of aimlessly bored and considering another historical period. Ridiculous way in, I know, but watching with my wife the Tudors has rekindled my desire to dive in more deeply to the period, as well as English history generally (I have some Anglo-Saxon, but very surface otherwise). Tapped on re-reads of ancient history, and thought I'd read plenty on WWII so this is awesome - really looking forward to them, thanks again.1648-1840, and 3, 1840-1945).

Right now, I'm picking up a book I never got even close to finishing many years ago. Europe, Norman Davies. We'll see if I can make it this time, monster of a book.

Cheers, thanks again, triethylborane.

Albert Speer wrote "Inside the Third Reich" and he has another book which is a diary of his time in Spandau under the watch of the US, UK and USSR. "Inside the Third Reich" presents a Speer's perspective of events and of course he discusses his interaction and observations of Hitler.

"Hitler's Table Talk" is also a fascinating read, it is a collection of notes of the lengthy talks he would give at his, usually late, dinners.

Ive read snippets from Holborn's series, I think I have it on PDF somewhere. A lot of my other books regarding Bismarck-WWI-Weimar Rep-WWII are military oriented.

As for the Soviets, perhaps the definitive book is "The Gulag Archipelago" by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn. That is a must read, particularly since you are interested in societal structure and actual historical facts. Brutal content.

Fire and Fury. Haven't started it yet but I had to get my copy to stash away before the book burnings begin.

Who is burning the book?

Have read Inside as well as Gulag, the others, no. Personally I think Speer got somewhat of a pass though he spent 20 at Spandau. The "Urbane Face" of nazism, but he enslaved and murdered 1000's. May not have been with Zyklon B, but murdered nonetheless. The only thing I'm grateful to him for is his disobeying the Little Corporal's directive to bomb Germany back into the agrarian middle ages. A sort of Morganthau Plan, directed by his archenemy. Still, a good read. I've not read his account of Spandau, thanks.

And the Table Talk sounds fascinating. Yes, I did know of Hitler's predilection for extremely late night, hours long, rambling talks - compulsory, of course. That had to be a blast.

One I'll mention, if you've not read it, is Dreadnought: Britain, Germany, and the Coming of the Great War. A lot concerns the naval buildup to WWI. I'm very interested in the loss of what I'd call the great chessboard, central Europe, once Germany unified - it instituted a kind of stickiness when previously it was the map that provided flexibility in the State System. Bad for Germany, but it held for centuries. So, the zero-sum game both within the Continent and in colonial aggrandizement, post 1871. This book looks at aspects of this very well, IMO.

Sorry, can't believe I spaced this as I love this book - Darkness at Noon. An early soviet revolutionary now in prison under Stalin's purges. By Arthur Koestler. Compelling read, imo.

As for the Soviets, perhaps the definitive book is "The Gulag Archipelago" by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn. That is a must read, particularly since you are interested in societal structure and actual historical facts. Brutal content.

I've got to finish that on of these days. It's staring at me as I read this...

upload_2018-1-24_17-45-46.png

NVM. I saw it was $12.49 for a Kindle edition and just bought it. Thanks for the post!

Been reading Doug Stanhope's autobiography, Digging Up Mother: A Love Story.

Not sure if anyone else is into stand-up comedy, but he's absolutely a riot and based on the book has actually lived the sort of depraved libertine existence that he highlights on stage.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077SCM3PG/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

This is a book by an HBT member. I've actually found it to be pretty entertaining! There are a few spelling/editing issues, but nothing major. The author is a friend of mine and a homebrewer near me.

It's a romance thriller type book. Not at all what one would expect from the author if you knew him.

It's a short read, which takes place on a light freight hauling ship.

I'm also starting to read a short series of books about some "C&C" (D&D, but without the risk of lawsuit...) players who magically get transported into their game by a sadistic DM. It's pretty funny and sometimes crude, but so far it's entertaining.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0088XPHOK/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime. and just finished Ready Player One, highly recommend for nerds. Spielberg making it into a movie.

Reading Billy Bathgate
Very interesting read. 2 hours, do it at work :) I sure like the way this guy writes. Entire (short) story is at link below.

Wakefield - E. L. Doctorow

If you are adventurous and read the Nathaniel Hawthorne original, let me know how they compare.

Well, I assume nobody read this :) I'm reading Billy Bathgate by same at the moment.

Latest posts

Back