What book is on your nightstand? Readers!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m a little ridiculous. I have 2 others going on Kindle and Designing Great Beers on my kitchen table as well.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Just finished "The Red Badge Of Courage". Currently reading "Legend of Sleepy Hollow" and probably going to start "Hell Divers 2" soon.

This was a pretty good read, if you like that sort of thing:
51UP0xSoP5S.jpg

Trying desperately to hit my 100 book goal this year, I'm on 76 now so I'm struggling needless to say.

So I made my 100 book goal for 2022, and I have to say I will never do anything like that again. I'm not even really the kind of person that makes New Year's resolutions.

This year I want to spend more time playing the piano, learning Spanish and maybe learn a new programming language, but these aren't serious resolutions.

Here is the list of books I read. Hope everyone had a great New Year.

"The Goodness of Guinness: A Loving History of the Brewery, Its People, and the City of Dublin",Tony Corcoran
Law School for Everyone,"The Great Courses, Edward K. Cheng, Joseph L. Hoffmann, Molly Bishop Shadel, Peter J. Smith"
This History of Rum,"By: John Donoghue , The Great Courses"
Decoding Cats: Inside the Feline Mind,"Kristyn Vitale , The Great Courses"
Congo,Michael Crichton
The Art of War,Sun Tzu
Tales from the St. Louis Cardinals Dugout: A Collection of the Greatest Cardinals Stories Ever Told,"Bob Forsh , Tom Wheatley"
"Doing Time: Time Police, Book 1",Jodi Taylor
The Art of Negotiating the Best Deal," Seth Freeman , The Great Courses"
Factfulness: Ten Reasons We're Wrong About the World - and Why Things Are Better Than You Think," Hans Rosling , Anna Rosling Rönnlund , Ola Rosling"
How the Mighty Fall: And Why Some Companies Never Give In, Jim Collins
Critical Business Skills for Success,": The Great Courses , Clinton O. Longenecker , Eric Sussman , Michael A. Roberto , Ryan Hamilton"
Understanding Russia: A Cultural History," Janet Fletcher , The Great Courses"
Cultured: A World History of Cheese,"Janet Fletcher , The Great Courses"
Law School for Everyone: Contracts," David Horton , The Great Courses"
All Quiet on the Western Front,Erich Maria Remarque
The Cold Dish: A Walt Longmire Mystery,Craig Johnson
Mindset: The New Psychology of Success,Carol S. Dweck PhD
The Hike,: Drew Magary
Introduction to Psychology,"Catherine A. Sanderson , The Great Courses"
A Baker's Life,Paul Hollywood
Learned Optimism: How to Change Your Mind and Your Life,Martin E. P. Seligman Ph.D.
Deep Work: Rules for Focused Success in a Distracted World,Cal Newport
The Nature of Oaks: The Rich Ecology of Our Most Essential Native Trees,Douglas W. Tallamy
The Secret Life of Groceries: The Dark Miracle of the American Supermarket,Benjamin Lorr
Play Ball! The Rise of Baseball as America’s Pastime,"Bruce Markusen , The Great Courses"
Kitchen Confidential,Anthony Bourdain
The Five People You Meet in Heaven,Mitch Albom
Project Hail Mary,Andy Weir
A River in Darkness: One Man's Escape from North Korea,"Masaji Ishikawa , Risa Kobayashi - translator , Martin Brown - translator"
Human Anatomy: Medical School Crash Course,AudioLearn Medical Content Team
We Were Soldiers Once... and Young: Ia Drang - The Battle That Changed the War in Vietnam," Harold G. Moore , Joseph L. Galloway"
The Drug Hunters: The Improbable Quest to Discover New Medicines,"Donald R. Kirsch PhD , Ogi Ogas PhD"
The Office: The Untold Story of the Greatest Sitcom of the 2000s: An Oral History,Andy Greene
"Simply the Best: Interviews with Video Game Designers, Composers and Scofflaws",Mat Bradley-Tschirgi
A Wrinkle in Time,Madeleine L'Engle
Big Fish: A Novel of Mythic Proportions, Daniel Wallace
Confessions of a Vintage Guitar Dealer: The Memoirs of Norman Harris,"Norman Harris , David Yorkin - contributor , Richard Sambora - foreword , Joe Bonamassa - preface"
Spoonbenders: A Novel,Daryl Gregory
Workin' Our Way Home: The Incredible True Story of a Homeless Ex-Con and a Grieving Millionaire Thrown Together to Save Each Other,Ron Hall
"Hell Divers: The Hell Divers Series, Book 1", Nicholas Sansbury Smith
"The Maze Runner: Maze Runner, Book 1", James Dashner
Off Menu: The Secret Science of Food and Dining,Nell McShane Wulfhart
History of Brooklyn," Brian Purnell , The Great Courses"
Solitary: Unbroken by four decades in solitary confinement. My story of transformation and hope.,Albert Woodfox
Canada,Mike Myers
Hard Country: A Novel,Michael McGarrity
"Bourbon: The Rise, Fall, and Rebirth of an American Whiskey",Fred Minnick
Disrupting the Game: From the Bronx to the Top of Nintendo,Reggie Fils-Aimé
Changing Body Composition Through Diet and Exercise,"Michael Ormsbee , The Great Courses"
"Fitness, Weight Lifting, and Good Nutrition: An Insightful Guide: Fitness, Weight Lighting, and Good Nutrition, Book 1", Dr Marvin Brown Jr. EdD CFT CNS
The Psychology of Online Behavior,"Nicola Fox Hamilton , The Great Courses"
The Myths of Nutrition and Fitness,"Dr. Anthony A. Goodman , The Great Courses"
Clean Code: A Handbook of Agile Software Craftsmanship,Robert C. Martin
How to Say It: Words That Make a Difference,"Allison Friederichs Atkison , The Great Courses"
American Survivor,AJ Newman
Descent into Darkness,AJ Newman
Reign of Darkness,AJ Newman
Rising from the Darkness,AJ Newman
Zero Day, Bobby Adair
Infected, Bobby Adair
Destroyer, Bobby Adair
Dead Fire, Bobby Adair
Torrent, Bobby Adair
Bleed, Bobby Adair
City of Stin, Bobby Adair
Grind, Bobby Adair
Sanctum, Bobby Adair
Irish Fairy Tales,James Stephens - editor
The Red Badge of Courage,Stephen Crane
Tobacco Road,Erskine Caldwell
The Screwtape Letters, C. S. Lewis
Heart of Darkness: A Signature Performance by Kenneth Branagh, Joseph Conrad
How the Stock Market Works," Ramon P. DeGennaro , The Great Courses"
The Art of Investing: Lessons from History's Greatest Traders," John M. Longo , The Great Courses"
The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, Washington Irving
The Scarlet Letter,Nathaniel Hawthorne
Rich Dad's Who Took My Money?, Robert T. Kiyosaki
"Accounting: The Ultimate Guide to Accounting Principles, Financial Accounting and Management Accounting", Greg Shields
The Bridges of Madison County, Robert James Waller
Rich Dad Poor Dad: 20th Anniversary Edition: What the Rich Teach Their Kids About Money That the Poor and Middle Class Do Not!,Robert T. Kiyosaki
Technical Analysis for Beginners: Take $1K to $10K Using Charting and Stock Trends of the Financial Markets with Zero Trading Experience Required,A.Z Penn
Advanced Investments,"Steve L. Slezak , The Great Courses"
The-Entrepreneurs-of-Silicon-Valley,"By: John McLaughlin, The Great Courses"
How to Negotiate at Work: From Job Offers to Raises,"By: Rachel Campagna, The Great Courses"
Understanding Investments,"By: Connel Fullenkamp, The Great Courses"
The Terminal List,By: Jack Carr
Break Shot: My First 21 Years,James Taylor
Hell Divers II: Ghosts,Nicholas Sansbury Smith
"Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Book 4",: J.K. Rowling
"Home Cheese Making, 4th Edition: From Fresh and Soft to Firm, Blue, Goat’s Milk, and More; Recipes for 100 Favorite Cheeses",Ricki Carroll
Medical School for Everyone: Grand Rounds Cases,"By: Roy Benaroch , The Great Courses"
Personality Tests and What They Can Tell Us,"Jaime Kurtz , The Great Courses"
Great Classic Stories III: 22 Unabridged Classics,"By: Herman Melville , Kate Chopin , Willa Cather , Mark Twain , Anton Chekhov , Ambrose Bierce , Bret Harte , Jack London"
Gather ‘Round the Sound,Holiday Stories from Beloved Authors and Great Performers Across the Globe
Winnie-the-Pooh,"A.A. Milne's Pooh Classics, Volume 1"
Artisan Cheese Making at Home: Techniques & Recipes for Mastering World-Class Cheeses, Mary Karlin
Feeding the Dragon,Sharon Washington
Tartine Bread, Chad Robertson and Eric Wolfinger
Practical Guide to Learn Algorithms for Beginners ,Andy Vickler

^yikes!^

On a less impressive note...I've been on an M. R. Forbes space fiction series jag since the summer and currently am entangled in two series, one that he's still writing and is up to the 8th volume that just came out, and another that I just started book 1 of 5 to fill in the weeks/months waiting for the next book in the first series. That's actually the third series of his I've read in parallel with the first. Somehow it's all enjoyable though somewhat exhausting doing massive context switches every time another book of the first series comes out :)

In any case it's a lot of sci-fi pulp fiction that would only be possible with The Spousal Unit's Kindle Unlimited subscription...

Cheers!

So I made my 100 book goal for 2022, and I have to say I will never do anything like that again. I'm not even really the kind of person that makes New Year's resolutions.

This year I want to spend more time playing the piano, learning Spanish and maybe learn a new programming language, but these aren't serious resolutions.

Here is the list of books I read. Hope everyone had a great New Year.

"The Goodness of Guinness: A Loving History of the Brewery, Its People, and the City of Dublin",Tony Corcoran
Law School for Everyone,"The Great Courses, Edward K. Cheng, Joseph L. Hoffmann, Molly Bishop Shadel, Peter J. Smith"
This History of Rum,"By: John Donoghue , The Great Courses"
Decoding Cats: Inside the Feline Mind,"Kristyn Vitale , The Great Courses"
Congo,Michael Crichton
The Art of War,Sun Tzu
Tales from the St. Louis Cardinals Dugout: A Collection of the Greatest Cardinals Stories Ever Told,"Bob Forsh , Tom Wheatley"
"Doing Time: Time Police, Book 1",Jodi Taylor
The Art of Negotiating the Best Deal," Seth Freeman , The Great Courses"
Factfulness: Ten Reasons We're Wrong About the World - and Why Things Are Better Than You Think," Hans Rosling , Anna Rosling Rönnlund , Ola Rosling"
How the Mighty Fall: And Why Some Companies Never Give In, Jim Collins
Critical Business Skills for Success,": The Great Courses , Clinton O. Longenecker , Eric Sussman , Michael A. Roberto , Ryan Hamilton"
Understanding Russia: A Cultural History," Janet Fletcher , The Great Courses"
Cultured: A World History of Cheese,"Janet Fletcher , The Great Courses"
Law School for Everyone: Contracts," David Horton , The Great Courses"
All Quiet on the Western Front,Erich Maria Remarque
The Cold Dish: A Walt Longmire Mystery,Craig Johnson
Mindset: The New Psychology of Success,Carol S. Dweck PhD
The Hike,: Drew Magary
Introduction to Psychology,"Catherine A. Sanderson , The Great Courses"
A Baker's Life,Paul Hollywood
Learned Optimism: How to Change Your Mind and Your Life,Martin E. P. Seligman Ph.D.
Deep Work: Rules for Focused Success in a Distracted World,Cal Newport
The Nature of Oaks: The Rich Ecology of Our Most Essential Native Trees,Douglas W. Tallamy
The Secret Life of Groceries: The Dark Miracle of the American Supermarket,Benjamin Lorr
Play Ball! The Rise of Baseball as America’s Pastime,"Bruce Markusen , The Great Courses"
Kitchen Confidential,Anthony Bourdain
The Five People You Meet in Heaven,Mitch Albom
Project Hail Mary,Andy Weir
A River in Darkness: One Man's Escape from North Korea,"Masaji Ishikawa , Risa Kobayashi - translator , Martin Brown - translator"
Human Anatomy: Medical School Crash Course,AudioLearn Medical Content Team
We Were Soldiers Once... and Young: Ia Drang - The Battle That Changed the War in Vietnam," Harold G. Moore , Joseph L. Galloway"
The Drug Hunters: The Improbable Quest to Discover New Medicines,"Donald R. Kirsch PhD , Ogi Ogas PhD"
The Office: The Untold Story of the Greatest Sitcom of the 2000s: An Oral History,Andy Greene
"Simply the Best: Interviews with Video Game Designers, Composers and Scofflaws",Mat Bradley-Tschirgi
A Wrinkle in Time,Madeleine L'Engle
Big Fish: A Novel of Mythic Proportions, Daniel Wallace
Confessions of a Vintage Guitar Dealer: The Memoirs of Norman Harris,"Norman Harris , David Yorkin - contributor , Richard Sambora - foreword , Joe Bonamassa - preface"
Spoonbenders: A Novel,Daryl Gregory
Workin' Our Way Home: The Incredible True Story of a Homeless Ex-Con and a Grieving Millionaire Thrown Together to Save Each Other,Ron Hall
"Hell Divers: The Hell Divers Series, Book 1", Nicholas Sansbury Smith
"The Maze Runner: Maze Runner, Book 1", James Dashner
Off Menu: The Secret Science of Food and Dining,Nell McShane Wulfhart
History of Brooklyn," Brian Purnell , The Great Courses"
Solitary: Unbroken by four decades in solitary confinement. My story of transformation and hope.,Albert Woodfox
Canada,Mike Myers
Hard Country: A Novel,Michael McGarrity
"Bourbon: The Rise, Fall, and Rebirth of an American Whiskey",Fred Minnick
Disrupting the Game: From the Bronx to the Top of Nintendo,Reggie Fils-Aimé
Changing Body Composition Through Diet and Exercise,"Michael Ormsbee , The Great Courses"
"Fitness, Weight Lifting, and Good Nutrition: An Insightful Guide: Fitness, Weight Lighting, and Good Nutrition, Book 1", Dr Marvin Brown Jr. EdD CFT CNS
The Psychology of Online Behavior,"Nicola Fox Hamilton , The Great Courses"
The Myths of Nutrition and Fitness,"Dr. Anthony A. Goodman , The Great Courses"
Clean Code: A Handbook of Agile Software Craftsmanship,Robert C. Martin
How to Say It: Words That Make a Difference,"Allison Friederichs Atkison , The Great Courses"
American Survivor,AJ Newman
Descent into Darkness,AJ Newman
Reign of Darkness,AJ Newman
Rising from the Darkness,AJ Newman
Zero Day, Bobby Adair
Infected, Bobby Adair
Destroyer, Bobby Adair
Dead Fire, Bobby Adair
Torrent, Bobby Adair
Bleed, Bobby Adair
City of Stin, Bobby Adair
Grind, Bobby Adair
Sanctum, Bobby Adair
Irish Fairy Tales,James Stephens - editor
The Red Badge of Courage,Stephen Crane
Tobacco Road,Erskine Caldwell
The Screwtape Letters, C. S. Lewis
Heart of Darkness: A Signature Performance by Kenneth Branagh, Joseph Conrad
How the Stock Market Works," Ramon P. DeGennaro , The Great Courses"
The Art of Investing: Lessons from History's Greatest Traders," John M. Longo , The Great Courses"
The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, Washington Irving
The Scarlet Letter,Nathaniel Hawthorne
Rich Dad's Who Took My Money?, Robert T. Kiyosaki
"Accounting: The Ultimate Guide to Accounting Principles, Financial Accounting and Management Accounting", Greg Shields
The Bridges of Madison County, Robert James Waller
Rich Dad Poor Dad: 20th Anniversary Edition: What the Rich Teach Their Kids About Money That the Poor and Middle Class Do Not!,Robert T. Kiyosaki
Technical Analysis for Beginners: Take $1K to $10K Using Charting and Stock Trends of the Financial Markets with Zero Trading Experience Required,A.Z Penn
Advanced Investments,"Steve L. Slezak , The Great Courses"
The-Entrepreneurs-of-Silicon-Valley,"By: John McLaughlin, The Great Courses"
How to Negotiate at Work: From Job Offers to Raises,"By: Rachel Campagna, The Great Courses"
Understanding Investments,"By: Connel Fullenkamp, The Great Courses"
The Terminal List,By: Jack Carr
Break Shot: My First 21 Years,James Taylor
Hell Divers II: Ghosts,Nicholas Sansbury Smith
"Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Book 4",: J.K. Rowling
"Home Cheese Making, 4th Edition: From Fresh and Soft to Firm, Blue, Goat’s Milk, and More; Recipes for 100 Favorite Cheeses",Ricki Carroll
Medical School for Everyone: Grand Rounds Cases,"By: Roy Benaroch , The Great Courses"
Personality Tests and What They Can Tell Us,"Jaime Kurtz , The Great Courses"
Great Classic Stories III: 22 Unabridged Classics,"By: Herman Melville , Kate Chopin , Willa Cather , Mark Twain , Anton Chekhov , Ambrose Bierce , Bret Harte , Jack London"
Gather ‘Round the Sound,Holiday Stories from Beloved Authors and Great Performers Across the Globe
Winnie-the-Pooh,"A.A. Milne's Pooh Classics, Volume 1"
Artisan Cheese Making at Home: Techniques & Recipes for Mastering World-Class Cheeses, Mary Karlin
Feeding the Dragon,Sharon Washington
Tartine Bread, Chad Robertson and Eric Wolfinger
Practical Guide to Learn Algorithms for Beginners ,Andy Vickler
Do you mix audibles and written books? Simultaneously?

Here are my top 20 favorite books that I read in 2022.
I've included a link at the bottom to all 58 of my books from 2022 on goodreads.com if anybody is interested.

Many of these books I have re-read several times. Usually when a new book in a series comes out,
if it has been a few years since the last, I will re-read the series from the beginning before reading the new book.

Cold Mountain by Charles Frazier The Reluctant Adventures of Fletcher Connolly on the Interste... by Felix R. Savage One Good Deed by David Baldacci Timeline by Michael Crichton The Broken Room by Peter Clines Match Game by Craig Alanson We Are Legion (We Are Bob) by Dennis E. Taylor For We Are Many by Dennis E. Taylor Heaven's River by Dennis E. Taylor

14 by Peter Clines The Fold by Peter Clines Rhythm of War by Brandon Sanderson Fairy Tale by Stephen King Lost in Time by A.G. Riddle Dream Town by David Baldacci The Whisper Man by Alex North Desert Star by Michael Connelly The Lost Metal by Brandon Sanderson Failure Mode by Craig Alanson Renegade Star by J.N. Chaney

Major’s Year in Books - 2022

My goodreads.com profile page.

Last edited:
Do you mix audibles and written books? Simultaneously?
Never the same book, but yes. I read some on audible, and some on my kindle. I save the more technical books for the Kindle usually. I keep 1 audio going, and 1-2 on the Kindle. I don't read physical books anymore, my vision is not so good and I hate trying to hunt down hard backs.

Here are my top 20 favorite books that I read in 2022.
I've included a link at the bottom to all 58 of my books from 2022 on goodreads.com if anybody is interested.

Many of these books I have re-read several times. Usually when a new book in a series comes out,
if it has been a few years since the last, I will re-read the series from the beginning before reading the new book.

Cold Mountain by Charles Frazier The Reluctant Adventures of Fletcher Connolly on the Interste... by Felix R. Savage One Good Deed by David Baldacci Timeline by Michael Crichton The Broken Room by Peter Clines Match Game by Craig Alanson We Are Legion (We Are Bob) by Dennis E. Taylor For We Are Many by Dennis E. Taylor Heaven's River by Dennis E. Taylor's River by Dennis E. Taylor

14 by Peter Clines The Fold by Peter Clines Rhythm of War by Brandon Sanderson Fairy Tale by Stephen King Lost in Time by A.G. Riddle Dream Town by David Baldacci The Whisper Man by Alex North Desert Star by Michael Connelly The Lost Metal by Brandon Sanderson Failure Mode by Craig Alanson Renegade Star by J.N. Chaney

Major’s Year in Books - 2022

My goodreads.com profile page.
I see you found the hidden sequel for 14, I've been wanting to read that for a while.

Never the same book, but yes. I read some on audible, and some on my kindle. I save the more technical books for the Kindle usually. I keep 1 audio going, and 1-2 on the Kindle. I don't read physical books anymore, my vision is not so good and I hate trying to hunt down hard backs.
I'm almost identical. I use audibles for driving/biking/walking time, and kindle in house. I do occasionally read a paper copy if given one, but rarely buy them. Technical books that I need to highlight and refer to often are paper.

I liked this book. Read it probably 10 years ago.

I really, really liked The Road. Relentlessly bleak.

Just finished this one. I've read lots of post-apocalypse books and this one was very good. It really went into the daily survival details that many of them don't. Salt! And wasn't as dark and awful as some (The Road, which I loved haha).

Currently about 50 pages into War & Peace
Stop now. It sucks.

Otherwise you're gonna be 600 pages in, hating it but feeling like you have to finish it out else you're admitting defeat. And so you'll finish it and realize it never actually got better or had a payoff.

Ask me how I know.

Currently about 50 pages into War & Peace

Otherwise you're gonna be 600 pages in, hating it but feeling like you have to finish it out else you're admitting defeat. And so you'll finish it and realize it never actually got better or had a payoff.

I tend to agree, I never actually finished this book. I quit reading it when I reached the essays on war towards the end.

Last edited:
I honestly think that War & Peace is just a cruel joke played by sadistic English professors, and their students think that if a prof is assigning a 1000+ page tome of Russian Literature that there just MUST be something profound in there if only they try harder to understand it.

When it actuality it's just a fatalistic diary encompassing the mundane happenings of Russian aristocracy during wartime.

I read that (maybe twice haha). GREAT! Of course, the whole time you'll picture Jack as the main character.

Yep. I did that, even though I didn't watch the movie until after I had read it. I just knew enough about the movie that I couldn't see anyone but Jack when I read it.

Having finally finished a comparison between the Book of Genesis as presented in the Bible vs a mush older version written in cuneiform by the Assyrians, I'm reading something a little lighter now: Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind
Book by Yuval Noah Harari

Having finally finished a comparison between the Book of Genesis as presented in the Bible vs a mush older version written in cuneiform by the Assyrians, I'm reading something a little lighter now: Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind
Book by Yuval Noah Harari
IIRC, you'll find that religion also plays a big part in your new book choice. Formation of society was dependent on it.

I honestly think that War & Peace is just a cruel joke played by sadistic English professors, and their students think that if a prof is assigning a 1000+ page tome of Russian Literature that there just MUST be something profound in there if only they try harder to understand it.

When it actuality it's just a fatalistic diary encompassing the mundane happenings of Russian aristocracy during wartime.

I went through this internal struggle with Atlas Shrugged. I made it to the end, and no one gave me a trophy. I often wonder how these books got so damn popular in the first place. Do people just "pretend" to get it because they didn't get it? I'm not sure length is a factor either, The Great Gatsby has basically no point at all, and very little plot or action.

As for my own reading, I read this on a suggestion from a coworker, and really enjoyed it.
41SV07xgbNL._SY346_.jpg

I recently read "Super Powereds: Year 1" by Drew Hayes book, and it far exceeded my expectations. I'm not really into the super hero thing, so I went into it with little hope. I will definitely be reading the rest of the series.

Most of my reading time has been spent on studying for CCNA. The company I work for allows us to cross train in basically anything, and I've learned that being a programmer does not automatically make you good at networking. Good thing I love technical books.
51kMtpaJQNL._SX395_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I went through this internal struggle with Atlas Shrugged. I made it to the end, and no one gave me a trophy. I often wonder how these books got so damn popular in the first place. Do people just "pretend" to get it because they didn't get it? I'm not sure length is a factor either, The Great Gatsby has basically no point at all, and very little plot or action.

I consider Atlas Shrugged to be in an entirely different category.

It's not particularly well written. The characters are wooden caricatures of ideologies. There's a ~60 page (!) monologue. It's a philosophical treatise dressed up as a novel. It could be half the length and still MORE than effectively get the points across.

However, Atlas has a plot, and it has a point. There is a central conflict in the book. It builds to that conflict and a resolution.

War & Peace seems to not really have a plot, or a central conflict that the characters must resolve, or a point. It just reads like a bunch of things people did.

Les Miserables. In the unabridged translation I read, you meet Valjean on p106 after having read all about the priest's home economics. You know, the priest that gives Valjean the candlesticks in the first 2m of the musical. Then there's the long essay on slang before you get to the introduction of Gavroche. Also, the very lengthy narrative of the Battle of Waterloo that introduces Thenardier.

19th century novelists weren't too concerned with getting right to the point. Especially when they were published serially, like W&P.

I went through this internal struggle with Atlas Shrugged. I made it to the end, and no one gave me a trophy. I often wonder how these books got so damn popular in the first place. Do people just "pretend" to get it because they didn't get it?

I liked it enough to have read it twice haha. So yes, some people do dig it. I suppose you're not inclined to continue with Rand, but I also really liked The Fountainhead.

As for my own reading, I read this on a suggestion from a coworker, and really enjoyed it.
41SV07xgbNL._SY346_.jpg
I started that one years ago. I believe I abandoned it early - too depressing.

I consider Atlas Shrugged to be in an entirely different category.

It's not particularly well written. The characters are wooden caricatures of ideologies. There's a ~60 page (!) monologue. It's a philosophical treatise dressed up as a novel. It could be half the length and still MORE than effectively get the points across.

However, Atlas has a plot, and it has a point. There is a central conflict in the book. It builds to that conflict and a resolution.
Spot on. It's a book written for idealogues I guess. I really liked all the characters in Atlas. Dagney was a bit weird, but I'm sure Rand patterned her after her own heroic image of herself. I loved the mystery of the $ cigarettes, disappearing barons of industry, the attack on the looters of the world, the "invention", and the finale.

Les Miserables. In the unabridged translation I read, you meet Valjean on p106 after having read all about the priest's home economics. You know, the priest that gives Valjean the candlesticks in the first 2m of the musical. Then there's the long essay on slang before you get to the introduction of Gavroche. Also, the very lengthy narrative of the Battle of Waterloo that introduces Thenardier.

19th century novelists weren't too concerned with getting right to the point. Especially when they were published serially, like W&P.
Was forced to first read this in (catholic) high school. Turns out I loved it. I used to read a lot of long, rambling books back when the world seemed a lot slower. Read it a second time after seeing the broadway show (which is my favorite!). I might have skipped some of the essays in my second reading!

And it could very well be be responsible for the destruction of society.

Well I dunno, if the crusades didn't do it... I'm agnostic, no dog in this fight, but it seems to me that religion is a net positive in holding society together. I'm afraid that conversation is better done in the dark stanky bowels of this forum (debate).

Latest posts

Back