What BJCP category for a juicy lager?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snarf7

Reaction score
Nothing crazy with my malts, mostly Pilsner and Vienna but I had lots of late hop\whirlppol additions and a 1 1/2 oz dry hop to finish it up. It's not a juice bomb but it has noticeable citrus aroma and flavor. I'm not seeing anything in the lager categories that would permit this. Is it 'speciality beer' (either 34B-Mixed Style or 34C-Experimental)?

You didn't state what yeast you used. If you used an Ale yeast then it is just a pale ale or ipa depending on abv. If you can't tell it is a lager then it isn't one and I would be looking at those categories.

Could always enter it as a pale ale. Depending on ibus, you may score better that way. Remember the judges don’t truly care how good the beer taste, they are strictly scoring on how to style it is in its entirety. So if only lager yeast would be the only thing that doesn’t make it a pale ale, go that route

Depending on which BJCP guidelines your competition is using, that experimental style probably won't exist. They'll most likely be using the 2015 guidelines. In that case, if you enter it in any sort of pilsner/lager category it'll probably get points removed for the juiciness due to not matching style.

If you really feel confident about the beer, I'd just submit it as a pale ale.

Depending on which BJCP guidelines your competition is using, that experimental style probably won't exist. They'll most likely be using the 2015 guidelines. In that case, if you enter it in any sort of pilsner/lager category it'll probably get points removed for the juiciness due to not matching style.

If you really feel confident about the beer, I'd just submit it as a pale ale.

Fortunately their entry is all online so you can just pick the category from the drop down, and that X5 designation was available so that's cool!

Fortunately their entry is all online so you can just pick the category from the drop down, and that X5 designation was available so that's cool!
Did you use NZ hops? Also is the mouthfeel and carb level a Pilsner? Pilsner’s bodies and mouthfeel is more specific than a pale ale. I feel if you didn’t specifically brew a Pilsner, you may not be in the correct range, especially if it has some haze to it. In the Pale Ale category you’ll have a broader range of what body and appearance is considered to style

Last edited:
Personally, I feel that if you have to search for a style to fit your beer in, it is not a good candidate for a competition. The focus of competitions is very "to style", so if you enter a good beer that does not fit a style you will not get a good score and most of the feedback will be how it is not to style. If you enter a hoppy lager in a specialty category it will likely get drowned out by the extreme flavors of the typical entries in that category.

Dude, if it flops in the competition, I’ll help you drink it. I don’t usually like lagers, but this sounds good.
Cheers

Back