What beer style only gets better with age?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theowlman16

Reaction score
I want start doing large all grain batches, but don't drink my beer very fast. Basically, I want to drink for a while from just one days effort. I know highly hopped beers kinda fade out and lose their goodness. What beer styles get better after many months? I will be storing at 68F until throwing fridge a day before enjoying. Also, nothin crazy high gravity. Thanks!

Some sours done the right way... Certainly not speaking from experience, but what I read about oud bruins and the like, they do well with extended bulk aging.

How fast do you drink? What do you like to drink?

Store at fridge temps, that will slowdown aging.

Just about any stout, and of course barleywines. In general the darker, bigger brews age well.

I've made Belgian singles and British golden ales that get better with age. Dubbel's get better and pretty much any Belgian beer will improve with age. Stouts, porters, and brown ales also improve, in fact, most English ales I've made continue to improve.

Most of the suggestions so far are taking it to the extreme. If you want to age it for years then yes, best bets are mixed fermentation beers and strong ales like barleywine, imperial stout, Belgian dark strong etc. But a huge range of styles tend to improve, or at least not fall off, over the course of a year. Saison, virtually any Belgian ale, porter, etc. Even a nice moderately-bitter pale ale will still drink well enough 4-6 months later.

My all grain IPAs and stouts always get better with age. However I don't let them go past a couple of months before they're all drunk!

Well lets see, here are the beers that's got better with age..
15 to 17 it was Rainer
17 to 20 it was Michelob
20 to 30 it was Budweiser
30 to 45 it was Bush
45 to 55 it was Black Butte porter
55 to 59 its been my own.

I just bottles off a Barley wine that I had kegged since May 2015. It is wonderful. Just had a bottle of 2014 RIS, Fantastic. Have a new batch of RIS going, Still in Primary but down to .024 and to taste it will make your skin crawl. Age is the difference.

I want start doing large all grain batches, but don't drink my beer very fast. Basically, I want to drink for a while from just one days effort. I know highly hopped beers kinda fade out and lose their goodness. What beer styles get better after many months? I will be storing at 68F until throwing fridge a day before enjoying. Also, nothin crazy high gravity. Thanks!

I've had a bit of fun with this tread but to to be serious for a moment 68 is a bit to high to be storing any beer long term IMO. At least in my experience, although I have yet to make a RIS or a Barley wine so cant speak for those. But my Stouts and below all benefit from cold storage immediately after carbonation.

Back