What Are You?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Family is English as far as any one can trace back.
If you check my DNA it is probable that some where between 1000 years and 500,000 years ago my ancestors could be from the Basque region or anything from , Anglo-Saxon, Vikings, Romans to Germans.

Applause, applause. As for the title of this thread, "What are you?" My answer is "I am an American." As for the intended question, "What is your ancestry,?" the answer to that is that my paternal grandparents came to this country from Lithuania in 1906, and my half German / half Dutch great-great grandparents were here in the mid-19th century, the Dutch a bit longer than the Krauts. The Germans all seem to have fought in the Union Army in the Civil War, and probably had to receive their orders in German. One cooled his heels in Libby Prison in Richmond, another was the engineer who drew the map for U.S. Grant's siege of Vicksburg.

But back to "Bernie Brewer" and his original point. What I AM is an American. I speak a few cuss words in Lithuanian, enough German to get by in Munich on vacation year before last, and no Dutch (which, despite having been in Amsterdam twice, still sounds like frogs croaking). I'm getting to the point where I can hold my own in Spanish, and can deal with restaurants, hotels & car rental in French & Italian.....and I'm starting to learn some Mandarin, since we're going to China in October. All of which serves to demonstrate that interest in other cultures doesn't have anything to do with what you ARE. I am an American, and English is my primary tongue. Language is the glue of culture, and so EVERY American should be fluent in English. They are welcome to speak any language they wish at home, in a restaurant, while watching football, etc., but English should be a requirement. English is the language of education, of politics, of the law, and the marketplace.... and it is presently the accepted international lingua franca.

Teddy Roosevelt said over a century ago "We must have no more hyphenated Americans," and it's never been more true than right now.

So if you move to Japan you become Japanese? Interesting.

25% English 25%English 25%english 25%english = 100% english!!!All my ancestors were english only!!!and my future generation will also be english only!!!!

I was thinking about what I said and not knowing a lot about Japanese laws one would assume that an Irish couple that move to Japan and have a son there the son would become a full citizen of Japan (ok, maybe not in Japan, who knows) but he would still not be Japanese.

I come from a long line of drinkers, Irish, German, and Cherokee. Past generations have mostly dealt in the moonshine but I am the first to brew up a beer or 27.

Human. All else is irrelevant.

Why not play along? ;)

That answer is like being asked where you were born and answering "planet earth". :(

BTW since I picked on you answer I am Irish, Scottish, Welsh and English, at least so I am told. :D

1/2 Irish, 1/4 scottish, 1/8 Native American and 1/8 german. Brother looks indian and I'm white as hell. Tis crazy.

Why not play along? ;)

That answer is like being asked where you were born and answering "planet earth". :(

BTW since I picked on you answer I am Irish, Scottish, Welsh and English, at least so I am told. :D

Ok, I'm Scottish, English, French and Cherokee, that I know of. The French ancestor fought in the American Revolution, and my family goes back to at least the 1850's in the Georgia County in which I was born.

And I can be a natural smarta$$ tempered with lots of sarcasm at times, so I'm told. ;)

Generally when I'm on a bad Scrabble losing streak, or am out of booze.

Irish and French on my dad's side and French on my mom's side. My dad has traced back our Irish roots up to the mid-1800's where it starts to be a bit messed up. As for my mom's roots, our ancestors migrated from southern Normandy in 1654 to Quebec city, where I still live today.

I have a cousin who's dad is French, another who's dad is Greek, and my 12 years old uncle is 50% french canadian and 50% dominican (Rep. Dom.).Things went a bit south...:cross:

I bet I could count on 2 fingers how many black people there are on here.

I'm 3/4 Sicilian if that counts? :tank:

The rest of it is Polish, so I am 3/4 stubborn and 1/4 stubborn. We did one of those family tree things online a while back and there is a one-off Greek playing footsies with some Great Great Aunt, but I dont talk about that around my Grandmother...

My home town (Southampton) Has a Mayflower memorial. Southampton was the last scheduled stop en route from Holland for the Mayflower. I missed the boat by a few hundred years though.

So you're the lot that didn't stop them before they infested us... ugh! I blame you.

I'm with Gregg Proops, I'd have rathered our first settlers be on an Italian party boat then the Mayflower. Back in the old country (a place I have never been with a national language I dont speak) they have like 1000 Saints and celebrate a day for every one of them. I would never have to go to work. I'd just walk around in red slacks, drinking strong coffee and pinching women I just met. I could DO THE HE!! OUT OF THAT!

German,french,welsh,italian,british,dutch,irish,scottish. Family was one of the founding families in lunenburg nova scotia, been in canada since 1753

Irish right back to great great great grandparents before that one drop of scottish to poison the water :) lol

My last name came from Mexico, but I'm mostly German. My grandfather on my father's side was from Mexico, hence my last name, and my grandmother has English roots. On my mothers side, it's German. My mother does genealogy, and has our family traced back to the 1400s. Parts of my family tree originates in Ireland, but that's a very small percentage. My great grandfather and great grandmother on both sides of my mother moved to the US from Germany back in the 1800s.

This is what I know. My maternal grandmother and grandfather are pretty much all german. Their grandparents all came from the boat, so they've been around a while. My paternal grandfather came from Mexico, but his father immigrated from Spain to Guadalajara. My paternal grandmother is where it gets kinda sketchy. She didn't like to talk much about ancestry. I do know she has mostly german roots, but I'm pretty sure theres some Polish and Russian in there somewhere, too. I think part of the reason we're not so sure on it is that her father was adopted as a very young child.

So that makes me 1/4 Mexican/Spanish, and 3/4 German with some Polish and Russian sprinkled in for fun.

I am a Canadian-Welshman, my mother was English and Welsh, born in Toronto and remained a citizen until she died in 2008, my father was a 2nd generation Welshman, I ate very plain food growing up, and knows all about the queen and all . Lots of aunts and uncles in Canada and England and Wales. Bowen was one of the first clans in Wales originally called Owen, Bowen meaning ...Born of...Owen. so there you go. Ironically I am heading to Wales next week and then brewing some beer in England.

Born in England, live in England, have English parents, grandparents and so on.

I'm a purebred... or boring, depends on which way you look at it.

My great-grandfather from Finland had a childhood friend who was in the Russian military (Russia was occupying Finland at the time). The family had his friend over for dinner one evening and as he got up to go he told my great-grandfather "Thank you for dinner. I'll see you again tomorrow, but I'll be wearing my uniform." and then he left. Basically, he tipped the family off that the Russian army was coming to conscript him into service. Conscripted soldiers were kind of the cannon fodder, saving the Russian boys from some of the most dangerous service. His friend would have been shot if anyone found out he'd given a warning.

The family gathered what they could for him and my great-grandfather left in the night. His sister rowed him out into the bay and in the middle of the night he negotiated passage with a ship in exchange for work. He had one bag with him and he came here.

jgln said:

If you are raised in the language, culture, history of a country, then that is what you "are". I'm American too.

I've never been interested enough in my ancestry to find out what the mix was. I do remember my mother telling me I was part Cherokee, but it was probably popular to say that in the 60's. I don't sunburn easily, and I drink a lot, so maybe there's some truth in it.

I used ancestry.com to trace my family back to Virginia in the early 1700's. Lost the trail from there. That was my mother's side. On my dad's side I only got back to the early 1800's. Our last name is Brewer. It's a fairly common name and from what I gather could be English, Norman, or German in origin.

I would have to claim pretty much all German ancestry or maybe call it Prussian. My family has done genealogy studies and from what they can tell everyone came from that region and settled in rural Iowa. Two sets came from within the modern day German borders. The other two sets were 1st Generation Americans.

I am actually 50% Prussian (German) and 50% English. Although you could almost call it 50% American because my mom's side of the family has been traced as far back as 1600 in Connecticut.

Back