What Are You?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mutt.... On my dad's side the line goes back to when Edward Bumpas came in The Good Ship Fortune, November 10, 1621 (The next ship after the Mayflower). He was English.

Me too. Except the ships passenger list has it listed as Bompasse. It is said the Pilgrims would have perished had it not been for the passengers on the Good Ship Fortune.

Mutt here also.....

English
Irish
Scottish
Welsh
Dutch

+ you never really know what the Milkman was...........

Man, you gotta love us mutts!

Dad's side - 100% Irish from County Tipperary - poor and Catholic to boot! But . . . moved to Wagga Wagga, NSW, Australia. The old man moved to Canada in '65.

Mum's side - uhhh . . . 1/4 Cree from Manitoba, 1/2 Scottish (1/4 from Manitoba and 1/4 from Jamaica) and 1/4 from Hambleton in Yorkshire. Proddies all around.

Raised on the Irish side of Catholic, but very proud of Canada's British heritage. I hold both Canadian and Australian citizenship (born there).

M'eh . . . it's North America. Whatdaya want?

I'm half Irish(mother) and half Polish(father). My mother's family has been in the U.S. since the mid 1800's, my father and his siblings were the first generation born in the country for that side of my family. My grandparents on that side never even learned English, of course this was in the 1920's so this was a bit more common back then.

So yeah, I'm Irish and Polish... Genetically a dumb drunk....

I bet I could count on 2 fingers how many black people there are on here.

I'm 50% black (Louisiana) 50% german ( born in Erlangen- Echenau)

Baptized in Kirchrottenboch, had my first beer in Herpersdorf (where my grandma lives) First cigg in Bullach. First kiss in Lauf.

I'm an American.

but I suppose if you must know, My moms family is from Kansas, and my fathers family is from California.

I bet I could count on 2 fingers how many black people there are on here.

I'm 50% black (Louisiana) 50% german ( born in Erlangen- Echenau)

Baptized in Kirchrottenboch, had my first beer in Herpersdorf (where my grandma lives) First cigg in Bullach. First kiss in Lauf.

I can do it on one and a half fingers, I think :)

I'm an American.

Good for you! That is the correct answer for every US citizen. I, too, am American. 100% of my ancestry can be traced to Germany, but for about 8 or 10 generations now my family has lived in Wisconsin. Pretty much makes us American.

100% corn-feed*American! Ancestry is 50% Prussian, 25% German (different emigration waves) , the rest is mainly English, Irish, maybe a little Native American.

* Much of that corn was turned into beef first, as I was born and raised in rural Illinois.

Good for you! That is the correct answer for every US citizen. I, too, am American. 100% of my ancestry can be traced to Germany, but for about 8 or 10 generations now my family has lived in Wisconsin. Pretty much makes us American.

yeah it always seemed weird to me when Americans say they're this or that. . . c'mon. you're American. I'd only be willing to say otherwise if your great grandparents immigrated. anything after that and you are completely assimilated.

My sister knows more about our ancestry than I do. I grew up thinking I was more Scottish, but her research shows more English and Irish ancestry in our background.

There are McKellar's from my side of the family in Northern MI. I've also seen high concentrations in certain parts of Canada, Australia, and places named after McKellar in Tennessee.

I personally like to claim that I am Native American. I was born and raised here, now I just want to be able to hunt a whale.

North American, with a bit of native american. Family members on both sides go back to the mid-1600s. On my mother's side, they were dutch merchants who settled in what would become "New Amsterdam". They later moved on to "Breucklin" to start a family of 11. My father's side is mostly from Ireland and Scotland, but I think the Irish side were religous refugees from Scotland IIRC. Due to the religous turmoil in great britain, many left to the "new world" in the early 1700s.

That's it...based on the family history books on both sides of the family, most of my ancestors lived and died right here in the colonies/USA.

My home town (Southampton) Has a Mayflower memorial. Southampton was the last scheduled stop en route from Holland for the Mayflower. I missed the boat by a few hundred years though.

I personally like to claim that I am Native American. I was born and raised here, now I just want to be able to hunt a whale.

Funny!!!!

As an aside, I lose patience with the whole "Native American" thing. As a race, they are really no more native to this land than anyone else. They emigrated from somewhere else, too, they just did it a lot sooner.

Back on topic, kind of:
My great-uncle was a Capuchin priest in Mount Calvary, WI. He took the time to research and publish a family history, tracing the family back to the man that got off the boat in New York in the first half of the 19 century. The book was printed before I was born, so I'm not in it, but I can still use it to look up people I meet and see if they are in some way related to me. My last name is fairly rare, so if somebody has the same last name, chances are that they or their parents or grandparents are in the book. Anyway, that's kind of neat-o.

Funny!!!!

As an aside, I lose patience with the whole "Native American" thing. As a race, they are really no more native to this land than anyone else. They emigrated from somewhere else, too, they just did it a lot sooner.

I feel exactly the same way.

I am about 95% English ancestry with almost all ancestry tied to the Mayflower. The 5% is French Canadian probably based on the name Ladieu. Those not tied to the Mayflower arrived very soon after into Boston or Salem.

From my mom's side, I'm all Polish (as far as anyone can tell, anyway...considering Poland hasn't existed a couple times, there may have been some Germans or Austrians or Russians that snuck in). On my dad's side, I picked up 25% Belgian and 25% Bohemian. So there's a decent brewing heritage in my bloodline.

I also found out at a family reunion that one of my paternal grandfather's uncles did some time for bootlegging during Prohibition, and I had at least two great-grandfathers who made beer back in the day.

Question.

How long does your ancestors have to of lived in America for you to consider youself American.

In the UK most of the people living here at some point over the last 1000 yeas would of had ancestors from all over Europe. The British Isle got invaded so many times.

At a guess 99% of people if they could would probably find out that their ancestors did not come from the British Isles. But 99% of those people would still consider themselves British.

Question.

How long does your ancestors have to of lived in America for you to consider youself American.

In the UK most of the people living here at some point over the last 1000 yeas would of had ancestors from all over Europe. The British Isle got invaded so many times.

At a guess 99% of people if they could would probably find out that their ancestors did not come from the British Isles. But 99% of those people would still consider themselves British.

I don't think people here make that distinction of amount of time...In fact if you look at this thread you will see ow a few people cannot seem to seperate their Nationality, and their ethnic heritage.

I'm an american, born and raised here, as were my parents, while my grand parents were naturalized citizen[/b] but our ethnicity is hispanic.

I sorta don't get why some people have to specify or clarify what nation state they swear allegiance, or citizenship to, when the question is really about our ethnicity.

But I guess one could argue that ethnicity, ir really also just about what nation state our ancestors swore to as wel...

I dunno...we americans are interesting creatures, aren't we? :D

<-----------50% Swede (and thus have to root for Team Sweden, NHL version)

25% Irish
25% Don't know (mutt, I assume)

But yeah, born here and all that jazz. We're 3rd gen.

Question.

As far as I'm concerned, if you are a citizen, you are American. I was just noting the generations of Americans before me to illustrate why I can't figure out how people that have never been to, say, Ireland, or Germany, or Mexico, or whatever, can say that they are Irish or German, or Mexican, or whatever. Listen, I'm all for knowing your heritage and being proud of it, but to me it just sounds like they would rather be from somewhere else. Yeah, I know, it's probably just semantics, but oh, well.

As far as I'm concerned, if you are a citizen, you are American. I was just noting the generations of Americans before me to illustrate why I can't figure out how people that have never been to, say, Ireland, or Germany, or Mexico, or whatever, can say that they are Irish or German, or Mexican, or whatever. Listen, I'm all for knowing your heritage and being proud of it, but to me it just sounds like they would rather be from somewhere else. Yeah, I know, it's probably just semantics, but oh, well.

Applause, applause. As for the title of this thread, "What are you?" My answer is "I am an American." As for the intended question, "What is your ancestry,?" the answer to that is that my paternal grandparents came to this country from Lithuania in 1906, and my half German / half Dutch great-great grandparents were here in the mid-19th century, the Dutch a bit longer than the Krauts. The Germans all seem to have fought in the Union Army in the Civil War, and probably had to receive their orders in German. One cooled his heels in Libby Prison in Richmond, another was the engineer who drew the map for U.S. Grant's siege of Vicksburg.

But back to "Bernie Brewer" and his original point. What I AM is an American. I speak a few cuss words in Lithuanian, enough German to get by in Munich on vacation year before last, and no Dutch (which, despite having been in Amsterdam twice, still sounds like frogs croaking). I'm getting to the point where I can hold my own in Spanish, and can deal with restaurants, hotels & car rental in French & Italian.....and I'm starting to learn some Mandarin, since we're going to China in October. All of which serves to demonstrate that interest in other cultures doesn't have anything to do with what you ARE. I am an American, and English is my primary tongue. Language is the glue of culture, and so EVERY American should be fluent in English. They are welcome to speak any language they wish at home, in a restaurant, while watching football, etc., but English should be a requirement. English is the language of education, of politics, of the law, and the marketplace.... and it is presently the accepted international lingua franca.

Teddy Roosevelt said over a century ago "We must have no more hyphenated Americans," and it's never been more true than right now.

if we're talking ancestry, I'm sure at some point a long long long long long time ago my ancestors walked out of Africa. and the general scientific consensus as of know is your ancestors did as well. ;)

so I guess I'm African.

I do think this is funny. I know what the original question was and so do most every body. Well my kids come home using the term African American. I tell them that you are not a dutch american you are american. I ask them not to use that term anymore. I giggle when someone calls a black man from Britain an African American.

We as American more than alot of countries still say that we are this or that because the country is so young. You probably don't hear alot of chinese claiming to have some Irish in them.:D

I'm a big ole mixed bag. I know that I am 1/16th Cherokee Indian. I also know that I am somewhere between 1/8 and 1/4 Irish, and my last name has Welsh roots, so one would have to assume there is some of that going on. Other than that, I don't really know.

I think this topic points out one of the interesting things about being an American.* We don't have a clear heritage which leaves us free to be who we want to be, not what genealogy dictates.

*or Canadian, or Mexican, or Brazilian, etc.

Lots of German. Both sides of family turns out. A little bit of American Indian too. Not sure after that. I married a LaMew (bastardized spelling of the french name) but my wife and I get along well. A German and a French.

Back