What are you using under your kettle for heat protection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hwk-I-St8

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My brewing table is wood. I've been using an induction burner, but it's giving me issues now, so I'm switching to a traditional internal heating element. I'll need some sort of trivet to protect the wood top. It's a 10G kettle, pretty close to 14" diameter (Spike).

Anyone found a nice round silicone trivet that's big enough? Everything I see is 7-9" it seems.

2 slats of pvc(paintable plastic wood) trim so it will dry underneath and not mold. Before that old laminate counter tops. at my altitude we are talking about 210.7 degree water.

Now if it wasn't my own brewing space and I was still up in the kitchen I wouldn't be so cavalier and would use pretty much anything non absorbent material between the kettle and the counter. I do have the old kitchen counters in my brew space because of a hop bag fire that did irreparable damage near the stove.

I received the SS Brewtech matt on Saturday. It's very nice and fits the Brewbuilt kettle perfectly. I'm assuming it'll fit the Spike kettle about the same (both 10G kettles).

When i used a wood table i layed out a full sheet of cork liner. Covered the entire table top. I later used a lid and cut out three circles for under the kettles.

Back