What are you using for weldless bulkheads and dip tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h22lude

Reaction score
The bulkhead, valve and dip tube I am using right now just instead working the way I want it to. The valve fits lose and the dip tube doesn't seem to work. I have to turn the dip tube up to get air out of it so my pump can prime. If I don't, not enough water/wort can flow to the pump. It is very odd.

What bulkhead and dip tube are you using?

The bulkhead, valve and dip tube I am using right now just instead working the way I want it to. The valve fits lose and the dip tube doesn't seem to work. I have to turn the dip tube up to get air out of it so my pump can prime. If I don't, not enough water/wort can flow to the pump. It is very odd.

What bulkhead and dip tube are you using?

Make sure you don't have any leaks on the inside of the kettle between the dip tube and bulkhead. It might sound silly but you have to teflon tape everything (except for the compression fittings) inside and out of the kettle. Think of it as a straw, if the straw you're using has a hole in it anywhere on the straw itself, it doesn't work well and you suck up air bubbles...

Make sure you don't have any leaks on the inside of the kettle between the dip tube and bulkhead. It might sound silly but you have to teflon tape everything (except for the compression fittings) inside and out of the kettle. Think of it as a straw, if the straw you're using has a hole in it anywhere on the straw itself, it doesn't work well and you suck up air bubbles...

I did use teflon tape. Though this doesn't happen just when the level is low. When I have 8 gallons of water in my boil kettle, it stills happens. If there was a leak, I wouldn't get air if the leak was under water.

When I fill the kettle with water, I turn my valve so the dip tube faces up. It lets out air bubbles which primes the pump. Air is getting stuck somewhere and not letting enough water through. I just don't know where it could get stuck.

I like the ones that ss brew tech makes they work great with no leaks. The brewhardware ones are very nice as well. I used some from bargain fittings and every single one would leak no matter what I did.. I learned to live with the drip..

I did use teflon tape. Though this doesn't happen just when the level is low. When I have 8 gallons of water in my boil kettle, it stills happens. If there was a leak, I wouldn't get air if the leak was under water.

When I fill the kettle with water, I turn my valve so the dip tube faces up. It lets out air bubbles which primes the pump. Air is getting stuck somewhere and not letting enough water through. I just don't know where it could get stuck.

When the pump is primed, does it stay good... or are you still sucking in air?

If you're still getting air, and the bulkhead and dip tube are submerged... then they're obviously not the issue. Start at where the valve connects to the bulkhead and make your way to the pump inlet. Any of those connections would most likely be the culprit. Most likely a tubing connection (Don't use worm clamps. Use stepless clamps.) or a quick connect gasket is bad.

If it primes after you turn the dip tube, and stays primed, then maybe it's just an issue with angle. I keep my dip tube at a bit of an angle, maybe less than 45° from straight down. I've never had your issue, and maybe that's why? Either way, you'd think the pressure of the water wouId force it through. I dunno... Good luck!

:mug:

This may be a stupid question but do the weldless fittings stand up to a gas burner?

If you have a MAPP gas torch, you could silver solder a fitting right into the vessel. My 3 vessels use silver soldered fittings, been working fine for prolly 4 years now.

It stays primed once I tilt the dip tube up. It is the weirdest thing. I would think the water pressure would push air out. I'm going to try without any hoses or pumps hooked up. Just straight out the valve. If it is the dip tube, water shouldn't flow out fast. If water comes out normal, it is something with the hose or pump.

Here is a picture of my dip tube. I have the bulkhead, 90° elbow then the compression fitting and dip tube. The dip tube I think is a 45° so it picks up the wort from the bottom corner. Not sure if this is what may be causing the issue as there are a few bends but I wouldn't think so.

20160328_115905_zpsjlopkz0e.jpg

Back