What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man, this is a nice brewery!
There's a whole peninsula south of there of oyster farms, Sandy beaches and lobster shacks everyone bypasses to go to Acadia. Huge mistake. I like to wander and disappear. No crowds and amazing foods. I did see a bunch of small brewery signs I didn't hit because we didn't have time. A bunch of meaderies too. Maine has a good maltser community of fresh grains. Hopefully next year I can hit their festival with lectures, breweries, bread, bakers and pizza.

OT
IMG_20201011_170843.jpg

Last edited:
There's a whole peninsula south of there of oyster farms, Sandy beaches and lobster shacks everyone bypasses to go to Acadia. Huge mistake. I like to wonder and disappear. No crowds and amazing foods. I did see a bunch of small brewery signs I didn't hit because we didn't have time. A bunch of meaderies too. Maine has a good maltser community of fresh grains. Hopefully next year I can hit their festival with lectures, breweries, bread, bakers and pizza.

OTView attachment 702119
How close to Alford, MA?

October 11, 2020 compared, with a few friend and wife, actual Spotted Cow (in bottles) vs the recipe I brewed (with the recipe from HBT).

Pale Ale Malt (47.5%)
Pils Malt (17.8%)
Flaked Maize (17.8%)
Dark Munich (5.5%)
Crystal 20L (5.5%)
Flaked Barley (6%)

Northern Brewer (9.4 IBUs, 60 minutes)
Saaz (4.8 IBUs, 30 minutes)

Wyeast 1056 (repitch, plenty of yeast)

Color: Spotted Cow: Yellow in color. My Spotted Cow: Darker yellow – somewhat orange. IMO, I think this is not knowing. IMO, my Spotted Cow is a Pale Ale color.

Taste: Unfortunately, the real Spotted Cow in bottles were, at this point, several years old (they were kept refrigerated, out of the sun, etc). Everyone like my version much better than the real beer. However, I thought the real Spotted Cow reminded me of a Belgian Blonde. Others didn’t know any better and had no opinion when I mentioned the Belgian Blonde I brewed in 2014.

Aroma: See Taste notes above.

In general: Perhaps for my next Spotted Cow I should use a Belgian yeast? I honestly believe the real Spotted Cow reminds me of the Brueghel Blonde Ale (North American Clone Brews, page 119).

Husband found this in his travels today. I've been intrigued with Sabro for a few months and love what it does paired with Citra, but this is a fresh hop ale that is PHENOMENAL. I'm not a huge View attachment 702046fan of hazies but might need to get some more of this one.
Sabro is like cilantro, you either hate it or love it. I’m on the love side

HB Vienna Lager. This is a really good beer. Thanks to @camonick for the recipe.

View attachment 702155
You’re welcome. I can’t take full credit for the recipe since it’s a published one, but I’m glad I could share it and it’s been a tasty one. I liked the samples you sent. I know I’ll be brewing it again sometime. Everyone I’ve shared my version with really likes it.

What’s your hop schedule for that beer? I mentioned earlier that I had a bunch of MO and you said that’s a good smash beer.
This particular batch was a small 1.25G batch, and I often only use a 30m boil on single hopped beers. I used .25oz FWH (30m boil ~16IBU), at 15m (~10IBU), and at 5m(~5IBU). I dry hop about quarter oz per gallon when I actually remember to, haha.
I've brewed similar to that about 3-4 times and really enjoy where it's landed. Sadly im out of Maris otter but plan to bastardize a bigger batch again sometime soon with what I have on hand.

Back