What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorachi ale
DSC_0337.JPG

New England IPA

(5 gallons/19 L, extract with grains)
OG = 1.061 FG = 1.012
IBU = 56 SRM = 5 ABV = 6.5%

Ingredients

7.2 lbs. (3.3 kg) pale liquid malt extract
1 lb. (454 g) dried wheat or weizen malt extract
12.9 AAU Amarillo[emoji2400] hops (first wort hop) (1.5 oz./43 g at 8.6% alpha acids)
1.5 oz. (43 g) Amarillo[emoji2400] hops (0 min.)
1 oz. (28 g) Citra[emoji2400] hops (hop stand)
1 oz. (28 g) GalaxyTM hops (hop stand)
1 oz. (28 g) Mosaic[emoji2400] hops (hop stand)
3 oz. (85 g) Citra[emoji2400] hops (dry hop)
1.5 oz. (43 g) GalaxyTM hops (dry hop)
1.5 oz. (43 g) Mosaic[emoji2400] hops (dry hop)
GigaYeast GY054 (Vermont IPA) or White Labs WLP095 (Burlington Ale) yeast
3⁄4 cup corn sugar (if priming)

Step by Step

Use 6 gallons (23 L) of water in the brew kettle; heat to 158 °F (70 °C). Add the malt extracts and stir thoroughly to dissolve the extract completely. You do not want to feel liquid extract at the bottom of the kettle when stirring with your spoon. Turn the heat back on and bring to a boil.

Boil the wort for 60 minutes, adding the hops at times indicated. The first wort hops are added to the kettle just after the malt extract is dissolved but before bringing to a boil. The 0 minute hops get added right after the heat is turned off. Stir the wort gently and allow to cool to 180 °F (82 °C) then add the hop stand hops. Allow to stand for 20 minutes then chill to 64 °F (18 °C) and rack to the fermenter.

Oxygenate, then pitch the yeast. Start fermentation at 64 °F (18 °C), allowing temperature to rise naturally as fermentation progresses. Mix the dry hops and divide into three equal portions. The first portion gets added after two days of active fermentation. The second portion gets added at the end of fermentation. The third portion gets added three days after fermentation ends. Allow each dry hop addition to be in contact with the beer for two to three days, then remove.

Rack the beer, prime and bottle condition, or keg and force carbonate to 2.5 volumes. Do not filter or fine the beer.

I like the hops and the addition of wheat. I would consider adding at least a 1/2 of flaked oats, preferably a pound. I’d move the FWH to 15 minutes, the flameout hops to 5 minutes and I’d lower my temp to 170 before doing a hopstand. With the time changes on the two hops you’ll still get some bitterness but, should also get more flavor out of both additions. Just my thoughts. I’ve begun moving a majority of my FWH to around 15-20 minutes.

I like the hops and the addition of wheat. I would consider adding at least a 1/2 of flaked oats, preferably a pound. I’d move the FWH to 15 minutes, the flameout hops to 5 minutes and I’d lower my temp to 170 before doing a hopstand. With the time changes on the two hops you’ll still get some bitterness but, should also get more flavor out of both additions. Just my thoughts. I’ve begun moving a majority of my FWH to around 15-20 minutes.
Thanks for the input. Fwh 15 to mintues ? After boil?

Serious question on this, saw these at the store and still couldn't tell. Is that really mixed with Strawberry Lemonade?

Yes and it's delcious! I love shandys in the summer and it gives off a nice lemon/strawberry shandy flavor. Especailly for the price, you can't beat it if you like that style. It's like $16 a 30 pack, and the 16 oz can six packs are $4 something.

At 1130pm last night tragedy stuck.

The anchors holding up the shelf that held my beer glasses gave way.

Approximately 30-40 glasses. Gone. Smashed to tiny pieces. Only 2 survived.

View attachment 623865

So here I am .....

Starting anew.

Cheers.

HB NEIPA in a pint glass

View attachment 623866

I still can’t believe it!! We will blame it on the IKEA shelves and not the installation.

Back