What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you add fruit while fermenting or secondary?

Coffee....
20180907_071435_Burst01.jpeg

Did you add fruit while fermenting or secondary?

Coffee....View attachment 587037
2 packages of fresh blueberries in secondary. 1 gallon of beer.

Blueberries weren't as ripe as I would have liked them but mashed them and threw them in a paint strainer bag. Second fermentation blew through my airlock. Didn't have that problem in the peach tea or raspberry batch. Tastes a little green but good.

Blueberries are the back left. This is when I first split the 3 gallon batch.
20180818_170518.jpeg

2 packages of fresh blueberries in secondary. 1 gallon of beer.

Blueberries weren't as ripe as I would have liked them but mashed them and threw them in a paint strainer bag. Second fermentation blew through my airlock. Didn't have that problem in the peach tea or raspberry batch. Tastes a little green but good.

Blueberries are the back left. This is when I first split the 3 gallon batch. View attachment 587038
Thanks! How did you carb? See I did my first BL-peach. I added during secondary for 5 days but was afraid to add more sugar for carbing. Just curious...did you use a sac/bacteria mix yeast?

Thanks! How did you carb? See I did my first BL-peach. I added during secondary for 5 days but was afraid to add more sugar for carbing. Just curious...did you use a sac/bacteria mix yeast?

If you give it long enough all the fruit sugars will ferment off, or just do a little less sugar. When I do something berry I still use 1/2tsp per 12oz, but you could make it slightly less and still get good carbonation while being safer.

Ya, gave the fruit 5 days as well because I had the same concerns. At 5 days airlock activity was basically non existent and sediment had all dropped. Similar to twisted above, used a little less than 1/2 tsp per 12oz when bottling and crossed my fingers. No bombs haha.

I soured first with 3 lacto plantarum pills for the over 3 gallon batch. Waited longer than usual, 4 days. Then boiled the batch, cooled and pitched notty. Slow to start, assuming due to the ph being very low but didn't test it.

If you give it long enough all the fruit sugars will ferment off, or just do a little less sugar. When I do something berry I still use 1/2tsp per 12oz, but you could make it slightly less and still get good carbonation while being safer.
Ya, gave the fruit 5 days as well because I had the same concerns. At 5 days airlock activity was basically non existent and sediment had all dropped. Similar to twisted above, used a little less than 1/2 tsp per 12oz when bottling and crossed my fingers. No bombs haha.

I soured first with 3 lacto plantarum pills for the over 3 gallon batch. Waited longer than usual, 4 days. Then boiled the batch, cooled and pitched notty. Slow to start, assuming due to the ph being very low but didn't test it.
Thanks for the info. Like the idea of souring pre-boil. Try that next time.

Waiting on these late risers..then off to Firestone Walker!
1536342729984.jpeg

@Inkleg homebrew

Oh my. I could smell it immediately when uncapping it. Flanders red. Yum. It smells like plum, red wine, grapes. Very complex and magnificent.

First sip was simply amazing. Not too sour but just enough to get the back of the cheeks moving. I taste strawberry and grape. Very fruity and so delicious.

I wish I could provide better tasting notes, but this is absolutely one of the top 5 best beers that I’ve ever had.

Thank you for sharing. This is a fantastic way to start the weekend.

IMG_1488.JPG

Thank you for sharing. This is a fantastic way to start the weekend.
You're welcome and I'm glad you enjoyed it.
Thanks for positing the picture as it's been about 6 months since I've had one and it looks like the carbonation is holding up. With 6 bottles left I should brew this one again as turn around time is a little long. :D

You're welcome and I'm glad you enjoyed it.
Thanks for posting the picture as it's been about 6 months since I've had one and it looks like the carbonation is holding up. With 6 bottles left I should brew this one again as turn around time is a little long. :D

What @Inkleg won't tell you is what the secret ingredient is. Truth is, his cats aren't REALLY hairless....you can figure out the rest.

All kidding aside, I've had that 3-Year Beer as well and it's phenomenal.

Tonight, though I plan to try one of these....or maybe both:
IMG_20180907_151130.jpg

IMG_20180907_151139.jpg

Back