What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good point. +1. These carb drops suck..too much carb. That's about what I did in the past and worked great.

This..ok..bit West Coasty..View attachment 584880

Agreed they suck, always over carbed unless you drink it all in the first month. I bottle all my batches (5g) and have only had 1 batch blow (due to not letting cherries ferment out) and always use that calculator for about 30 batches now. Make the priming solution, add to bottling bucket, rack beer, bottle

image.jpg

@orionol73 good to know...first time putting fresh yeast so was clueless to the sugar side of the calculation. Also it is hard to get 3-5 grains of yeast!

I don’t think amount of yeast should matter, but champagne yeast may be a different deal. Plus always used existing yeast in solution. Sugar should be he determining factor. Worst has been a RIS that sat in secondary for 2 months before bottling that never carbed up right...maybe will?

I don’t think amount of yeast should matter, but champagne yeast may be a different deal. Plus always used existing yeast in solution. Sugar should be he determining factor. Worst has been a RIS that sat in secondary for 2 months before bottling that never carbed up right...maybe will?

This sour has no residual yeast, so if I just added sugar it would never carb. That's the issue :)

Just trying to quantify my experience so you can apply to what you’re doing, not saying it’s the rule ;) batch priming makes the process a lot easier too

View attachment 584890

Heard :)

I am only doing small 1-2g batches so we're talking about a dozen or so bottles. It's pretty quick, but yeah 5g batches are a bit more exhausting if you do bottle by bottle.

C876770A-8ED2-4A86-B9BE-7240D5396A30.jpeg
Today I am drinking my attempt at a cherry red ale (I say attempt as it would appear my barrel has finally caught the brett/lacto that’s been fermenting in nearby vessels)

However I am thoroughly enjoying this incredibly complex beer. Starting with a sour, rubbery first taste soon replaced by sour cherries then as it warms a little, the rye and floral notes from the tettnangs,and finally back to a sour cherry, woody, spicy dry finish.

(Not to mention it is still young so expecting the rubber to fade)

I've heard good stuff about Cape May's beers. A buddy of mine did a trade recently and got a few of their Coastal Evacuation DIPAs, haven't tried it myself.

I’ll try to grab some more of their stuff then. Ocean city is dry but just over the bridge is a packie. I’ll need to make another run tomorrow for sure

Back