What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CBS. Chocolate, coffee, maple syrup, BBA, 11.7%. This is good stuff!
IMG_20240124_173651.jpg

Just when you think the beer market couldn’t possibly support more San Diego area IPA’s, here’s two more! Belching Beaver Brewery based out of Oceanside is best known for its yummy peanut butter stout brew. Hey Hey, who knew they were cranking out these fun brews? Score!

Deftones Phantom Bride IPA is a 7.1% ABV West Coast IPA featuring Amarillo, Citra, Simcoe and Mosaic hops. A great IPA, this was named after some association with the Deftones song of the same name. Ask them, I couldn’t figure it out, too busy drinking!

Fall of Troy Orange Vanilla IPA. 8.3% ABV. If this is what they were drinking in Troy, no wonder it fell !! It even says this beer is in their "Hall of Shame" on the can... Agreed! I just cannot tolerate the vanilla weirdness in this beer!

AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. Dumper!

IMG_6737.jpeg
IMG_6742.jpeg

Just when you think the beer market couldn’t possibly support more San Diego area IPA’s, here’s two more! Belching Beaver Brewery based out of Oceanside is best known for its yummy peanut butter stout brew. Hey Hey, who knew they were cranking out these fun brews? Score!

Deftones Phantom Bride IPA is a 7.1% ABV West Coast IPA featuring Amarillo, Citra, Simcoe and Mosaic hops. A great IPA, this was named after some association with the Deftones song of the same name. Ask them, I couldn’t figure it out, too busy drinking!

Fall of Troy Orange Vanilla IPA. 8.3% ABV. If this is what they were drinking in Troy, no wonder it fell !! It even says this beer is in their "Hall of Shame" on the can... Agreed! I just cannot tolerate the vanilla weirdness in this beer!

I had a sample of Fall of Troy at the brewery once. I did not finish the 2oz and I can't imagine a full pint.

View attachment 839964View attachment 839965
What if they called it a creamsicle? Do you think it would taste better?😉

You must get better honey malt than I do - every beer I've brewed with the HM from my LHBS has turned out red or reddish. None were supposed to, and the only common factor in all of them was the Gambrinus Honey Malt.

Timed it. Just over 10 minutes from home to Spyglasses new location. Been dark, cold and slushy. Sun trying to get out.

Chicken maple teriyaki wrap.
Place to myself
PXL_20240125_163613149.jpg
PXL_20240125_163759125.jpg

Spyglass pre anniversary collab releases

Internet Repairman (Kettlehead Brewery)
PXL_20240125_164251589.jpg

Out On a Tangent (Garrison City Brewery)
PXL_20240125_171206583.jpg

Einstein Tiles (Belleflower Brewery)

PXL_20240125_173654926.jpg

PXL_20240125_172207269.jpg

Last edited:
Tonight’s installment of “Edible Stuff That I Found Across the Street from the Super 8” comes from Clinton, Oklahoma.

I will sleep well tonight.
View attachment 839986

The Branding Iron? We've stayed in Clinton, OK a few times on the way to San Diego. Not bad eats, IIRC. Stayed at the Days Inn.

This Hazy Beer craze has roots going all the way back to the first beer drinkers, the Sumerians. Back in the day, beer was made by taking loaves of Barley bread made with Dates and Honey. Toss them into clay pots full of water and splash a little Wine into the mix, and wait a week – You’ve got Hazy Beer by the bucketful .. err… Potful!.

So murky was this proto-beer that the ancient Sumerians would take long straws to drink the clearer brew from the top, and keeping away from the yeasty, muddy, trubby, crud going on down near the bottom. One thing’s for sure – it was Hazy!

Sierra Nevada needs no introduction here – Aside from Anchor, really this is the crew that made craft beers an everyday thing here in California. Still, the Hazy Craze hits all breweries it seems and Sierra is no different.

Hazy Little Thing IPA – Great tasting 6.7% ABV. I noticed this beer poured like a Westie until the bottom of the can where a lot of the murk resides. Just like the Sumerians! Once that’s in the glass it’s a murkster. Tasty though!

Big Little Thing IPA – At 9% ABV, this beer supplanted a lot of the Malt Liquor in the gas station left side cold locker. It’s really tasty and really popular, sold everywhere around here currently and really hides the booze. This is an easy drinking 9-percenter, hard to see the Hobos drinking IPA though…! Enjoy!

IMG_6758.jpeg

Last edited:
I would say Oranjeboom is like Heineken, but it has more flavor. They pushed it in the US for a while, but I think they quit making commercials.

I remember the radio spots around the early '80s. "O-ran-je-boom-de-ay..."

I think I bought some once back then. Decent Euro-lager, IIRC.

The Branding Iron? We've stayed in Clinton, OK a few times on the way to San Diego. Not bad eats, IIRC. Stayed at the Days Inn.

Taqueria Fresnillo, was quite good, really friendly, glowed with the pride of family ownership, and cheaper than fast food. I’d be a regular if I lived there!

All the Homebrew at the moment is barleywine and imperial stout, so I’m going through the archives to go through other things I have.

2021 Anchor Christmas Ale with the Joshua Tree on the label. It holds up nicely as a porter and the spicing is subtle. Like the vintages of the Bigfoot that I have, this also seems to peak around two years or so and then slowly get sweeter and more out of balance as the hops drop out and it ages. This is really nice
IMG_0032.jpeg

I spent a good part of today cleaning out some unused stuff from the crawlspace. I found this plate, a bona fide item from Prohibition. My wife's paternal grandparents were strict teetotalers and had it bolted to their car.

I might have to attach it to my beer fridge. I should find a "Repeal the 18th Amendment" plate, put them side by side and let 'em fight it out.

A little irony as I pour a beer...

With both fermenters lagering, my pipeline is on hold until maybe mid-March. I only have about 40 bottles of HB in the fridge right now. First world problems. To hedge my bets I bought some beer at Total Wine, including this old favorite of mine. Maybe not the finest porter but it takes me back 15 or so years when I could get a bomber of it at the store for about $2.

20240126_150215.jpg

Last edited:
Back