What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_3117.jpeg

So far not much luck on this Texas brew trip, so let’s go domestic and try this again. Lone Star, since 1884 brewed originally in San Antonio and named “The National Beer of Texas” !!! That says it all!

Lone Star is a pretty standard gold lager, not unlike a lot of similar beers in the US. 4.65% ABV, Lone Star has been owned by several companies over the years and is currently brewed for Pabst at Miller’s big Fort Worth facility.

Great for your Texas BBQ, don’t confuse that with St. Louis or North Carolina BBQ. They have their own beers. Enjoy!

View attachment 831285
Were you listening to Bob Wills music while drinking that? 🎸🎻

Well I tried to find some Shiner black lager, but the local Beerniks around here beat me to it.

They did leave me a sixer of Shiner ¡Órale!, Mexican Style Lager. Hey, Shiner’s always a safe bet for me, and this one doesn’t disappoint!

¡Órale! has a quick 1-finger head, dissipating immediately, no lacing and 4.5% ABV. My first bottle I tried with lime, the second bottle I drank “au naturale!” I preferred it without the citrus, not needed here.

Really a good lager! Olé!

IMG_5449.jpeg

For my final Texas ride, I corralled up a can of All Cattle, No Hat Imperial IPA from Revolver Brewing, Granbury, TX.

Something about Texas, they have to make everything BIG, and this IPA is no exception.

Clocking in at a tooth-numbing 9% ABV, this Big Bad Texas IPA is excellent, boozy and has your name on it. Git a can and git all fired up!

IMG_5451.jpeg

New lager with Crystal and Nugget.
My hat is off to you for the classic NW combo. Crystal and Nugget makes an amazing beer.

Everyone talks about Cascades as *the* NW hop. But Crystal and Nugget were, at the time, just as important when the NW detonated and exported good beer to the rest of the country. They're both amazing hops and it's a shame that few use them anymore.

I did a Crystal dip hop a few years ago...wow, just wow.

As a homebrewer, if you use unfashionable hops you tend to get much better hops. That's why I'm named Bramling Cross.

Last edited:
My hat is off to you for the classic NW combo. Crystal and Nugget makes an amazing beer.

Everyone talks about Cascades as *the* NW hop. But Crystal and Nugget were, at the time, just as important when the NW detonated and exported good beer to the rest of the country. They're both amazing hops and it's a shame that few use them anymore.

I did a Crystal dip hop a few years ago...wow, just wow.

As a homebrewer, if you use unfashionable hops you tend to get much better hops. That's why I'm named Bramling Cross.

I may have misled people. By "new" lager, I meant newly brewed. I wrote this recipe in 2004! I don't know if it was classic back then. I don't have much information on how I came up with it. An old Usenet post of mine says, "My idea was to make a brutal lager using all-American grains and hops." I believe I wanted to make a lager, but I didn't want to do what every German brewery had done.

This was my first lager, and I got really lucky. I'm glad you commented, because it made me look at the original recipe, and I see I made a mistake in Beersmith. Somehow, this year, I omitted the ounce of Crystal I was supposed to steep. Next time I'll add it back.

I really love this beer. My favorite lager, homebrewed or factory.

In 2005, I created an ale with Chinook and Crystal, and the aroma was beautiful.

Very excited that Otherwise Brewing (gluten free) has begun shipping nationwide! The head brewer, Aaron Gervais, has made a huge impact on myself and the gf community overall, sharing mash regimes, enzyme trials and process tips via his blog and interviews. My brews would be trash without the benefit of all of his knowledge and experience!

First up is the rice lager:

20231011_182024.jpg

Surly Oktoberfest. They did a good job with this one; it's yellow rather than amber, and malty but not too heavy. It's much closer to a festbier than a Märzen. (IMHO, most American Oktoberfest beers are like drinking malt syrup) It's not quite as good as Hofbräuhaus O'fest, which is one of my all-time favorite beers but I haven't been able to find for a couple of years, but it's at least as good as the other German festbiers that I've tried.

At least it's a dignified can :)
It's the way of the world. Glass is heavy and bottles are volumetrically inefficient compared to cans.
I can't wait until beer starts showing up in "juice boxes". Europe is already playing around with them for wine - and of course you can get "box wine" in the States...

Cheers! :oops:

Back in Sunny Southern California, here I'm drinking a Pennsylvania beer, go figure... Pouring this delicious Yuengling Lager, I really got excited! Excellent color, foamy frothy pour and some real body, great lacing, an excellent Dark Amber Lager from America’s Oldest Brewery, since 1829, that’s 194 years ago.

I remember drinking Yuenglings during business trips back to Pennsylvania 25 years ago. By then, they were a mere 169 years old, so no beginner’s luck here! I think about the coldest I ever was happened in Central Pennsylvania in early January. After plodding between 200 year-old taverns in the ice and snow, we settled in and warmed up with a bunch of Yuenglings on some wood benches. They were so worn down your fanny sat in a dish!

4.5% ABV, looks like Yuengling is brewed at several locations these days, like many others. I think the Pennsylvania stuff in my memory was the best. Prost!

IMG_5462.jpeg

Back