What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fields of rye saison, pomegranate sour, Austin eastciders blood orange cider and Ex novo fresh hop octoberfest. Im guessing they dry hopped it with fresh hops but it is stellar.
16962014714716081855571841544687.jpg
16962016919952193212194378066618.jpg

Well looks like the Gods of fermentation decided to bless me with one "unspoiled" bottle of my plum, spiced melomel. While I was cautiously opening bottle bombs in the making, I stumbled upon one that had not re-fermented. It's amazing, crystal clear, with a nice aroma of honey and plums, with a hint of cinnamon in the background. The taste is also superb, starts with honey and plum that slowly hints at some vanilla and ends with a nice plum aftertaste.

IMG_20231002_212813.jpg

Kona Big Wave, a terrific and tasty 4.4% ABV, 16 IBU ale from Kona Brewing Company, Hawaii. Originally called “Pacific Golden Ale”, the marketing crew got wise and came up with the “Big Wave” moniker, I think a good thing. Reminds me of when Firestone Walker upgraded their golden ale product to the “805” name. Not sure where the actual brewery is, the can rattles off another six locations around the country, so your guess is as good as mine. Small amount of head, impressive lacing.

I can’t tell if this is a California or Hawaii brew, so I’m celebrating the lowest common denominator with mixed nuts - and not Macadamias!

Kona Big Wave is a lot like 805 in other ways too. This is one “chugworthy” ale for sure!

Destined to be a college dormie and frat favorite, super easy to tip back and swallow the whole manly and huge 25 oz can in successive gulps. Just open wide and dump it in, Baby! Reminds me of the old funnel and vinyl tube chugger back in school. On your knees, Pleb, this is your brew! Chug !!!!!

IMG_5384.jpeg

Kona Big Wave, a terrific and tasty 4.4% ABV, 16 IBU ale from Kona Brewing Company, Hawaii. Originally called “Pacific Golden Ale”, the marketing crew got wise and came up with the “Big Wave” moniker, I think a good thing. Reminds me of when Firestone Walker upgraded their golden ale product to the “805” name. Not sure where the actual brewery is, the can rattles off another six locations around the country, so your guess is as good as mine. Small amount of head, impressive lacing.

I can’t tell if this is a California or Hawaii brew, so I’m celebrating the lowest common denominator with mixed nuts - and not Macadamias!

Kona Big Wave is a lot like 805 in other ways too. This is one “chugworthy” ale for sure!

Destined to be a college dormie and frat favorite, super easy to tip back and swallow the whole manly and huge 25 oz can in successive gulps. Just open wide and dump it in, Baby! Reminds me of the old funnel and vinyl tube chugger back in school. On your knees, Pleb, this is your brew! Chug !!!!!

View attachment 830711

Been a while since I've had that one. I need to revisit that--especially if it comes in 25oz cans. Hey, it's only 4.4%. :)

I love this thread. It gives me ideas for beers to brew, and beers to buy to hold me over between brewing.

Well looks like the Gods of fermentation decided to bless me with one "unspoiled" bottle of my plum, spiced melomel. While I was cautiously opening bottle bombs in the making, I stumbled upon one that had not re-fermented. It's amazing, crystal clear, with a nice aroma of honey and plums, with a hint of cinnamon in the background. The taste is also superb, starts with honey and plum that slowly hints at some vanilla and ends with a nice plum aftertaste.

View attachment 830694
That's the cruel thing about our hobby, isn't it? It viciously kicks you in the teeth at every opportunity...but always leaves you with a compelling reason to keep doing it. ;)

The dregs off the bottom of my fermenter from the 1.039 ordinary bitter that I kegged this evening. Last month's batch died a quick death due to giving away three pairs of 2ltrs to the two UK expats that I work with--I made certain to have a 6gal keg ready this time. With fall approaching, I brewed the low-adjunct version (no corn, sorry Ron Pattinson) and overly dry hopped it with .5oz of keg hops.

UK malts and yeasts are amazing, how do you get so much flavor out of so little grist? It's stupid. This isn't how beer is supposed to work.
8192BA4F-B1C2-4C52-B489-00AF4D6DED1E.jpeg

Further evidence that UK malt and yeast are stupid.

I really enjoyed that bit of dregs that I pulled off the bottom of my fermenter and for the last six hours that has been weighing upon my mind.

The classic homebrewer paradox: revel in the joy of creation now, or wait for something much better and much more rewarding.

Obviously, I'm a homebrewer, so while I'm an expert at talking about deferred gratification, I personally have no use for that BS, so I snatched at the merest excuse to pull a carb check.

Six hours in the keg. It doesn't get more stupid than this.

[Edit]Also, to my surprise, the keg hops are already in evidence. That short cold hop thesis...yeah, I'm tasting it right now.
892DDEB3-07D9-41E9-9535-AB6E33CBBF9C.jpeg
Poured the Stange into a nonic pint, the result is the same.
CF2DD032-A40F-4E6F-B473-5DAC303F960E.jpeg

Last edited:
Back