What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rattlesnake ipa @ Big Texan
16954153262574276435964030707911.jpg

Hmm couple of days of no rain. Time for bonfire prep. From a fav packy that somehow gets these incredible flights. Usually their packs are cheaper than freshies. Couple aged variations from our friends from the north with a delicious quad snuck in there. Sitting in the cellar for a year.
PXL_20230922_204030407.jpg
PXL_20230922_211642448.jpg
PXL_20230922_211837312.MP.jpg

I bought some Natural Light lemonade flavored vodka (60 proof) today on clearance for $4 for a 750ml bottle. I just poured some over ice. It's way too sweet. Might be good topped up with some seltzer. I'm going to let it sit until the ice melts.

Earlier today I had a can of Sierra Nevada Oktoberfest festbier. It's just a little too sweet, but overall it's a pretty good rendition of a neglected beer style. (imagine an American malt liquor, but the Germans brewed it all-malt and did it well) Hofbrauhaus Oktoberfestbier is probably my favorite beer of all time, but my local Costco has stopped importing it :(

Belching Beaver – Boy, I’d like to hear the back story there – known for their Peanut Butter Milk Stout, available in supermarkets currently. The little fella on the label looked a bit like a Chipmunk, so I’m cleansing the palate with Walnuts, no Peanuts to be found anywhere around here.

I poured this 5.3% ABV brew about as hard as you can pour a beer and no suds. I think the low carbonation of this stout might have something to do with the low head. Are these made with peanut powder? Maybe residual oil knocks down the foam? I see a “BOD” date of 11/2/2022. Buy or dispose? What the heck, I just bought this. Maybe nobody else is. Seems OK.

Taste is about what you would expect, a lactose-sweet Milk Stout with a nutty essence. To me this is more of a novelty brew, it isn’t what you are planning on pounding a six-pack of with chips and dip in front of the tube. Like other sweet specialty brews, I think this would be a good candidate for an ice cream float.

IMG_5313.jpeg

I bought some Natural Light lemonade flavored vodka (60 proof) today on clearance for $4 for a 750ml bottle. I just poured some over ice. It's way too sweet. Might be good topped up with some seltzer. I'm going to let it sit until the ice melts.

Earlier today I had a can of Sierra Nevada Oktoberfest festbier. It's just a little too sweet, but overall it's a pretty good rendition of a neglected beer style. (imagine an American malt liquor, but the Germans brewed it all-malt and did it well) Hofbrauhaus Oktoberfestbier is probably my favorite beer of all time, but my local Costco has stopped importing it :(
We got some of that lemonade vodka on sale too awhile ago. We’re far from you, we’re in PA. Must be on sale nation wide.

My helles with the sunken dip tube is starting to clear and is much improved for it. It's pleasant enough, but I really need to stop chasing the style and just concede that my tasting notes for every helles I brew dings it for not being a pils. Yeah, I'm pretty stupid.
92237854-5F68-4D71-933A-736F47D86652.jpeg

By contrast, I wrote up the tasting notes for my brown porter tonight and I'm not sure how to improve this. Maybe it's time to switch gears and just enjoy it? But like I said above, I'm pretty stupid.
ECFC57F6-6707-412E-9757-F98B1C2EDEC5.jpeg

Just tapped my 7th iteration of a Double Cream Ale. 1.074 OG for an ABV of 7.9% (got good attenuation from the Nottingham yeast).

I'm calling this a Double. I've brewed this same recipe to a 9% ABV. I called that one an Imperial Cream Ale (won't do it again - it doesn't work well with that much alcohol).

I've never seen anything to help me name these non-standard pseudo-styles. By making a recognized style bigger, when is it a "Double"? When is it "Imperial"? Not to mention that it's not a Cream Ale anymore. Boosted that much requires a basic change in the character of the beer and it does not resemble the original style at all, other than maybe ingredients.

Just the same, this is a good, flavorful brew and I'll keep making it with little variation.

Last edited:
Lagunitas IPA and chili.
View attachment 829867
That bottle of Frank’s had been hidden in the back of a cupboard for a year or more. I won’t be putting that s**t on anything else. Lamest. Hot. Sauce. Ever. ☹️
Franks slogan is just haha but it’s good stuff and has a place. It’s shines on pizza and Mac and cheese for me. I also have el yucateco, Valentina and tapatio in the regular rotation

OT:

IMG_2960.jpeg

Lagunitas IPA and chili.
View attachment 829867
That bottle of Frank’s had been hidden in the back of a cupboard for a year or more. I won’t be putting that s**t on anything else. Lamest. Hot. Sauce. Ever. ☹️
Yeah, I use Frank's. Can't get Crystal here. But not much difference.
Anyway, it's the flavor that both Franks and Crystal brings. Love that flavor on my scrambled eggs & sausage.
If it's heat you want, go for the powder.

Lagunitas IPA and chili.
View attachment 829867

Franks slogan is just haha but it’s good stuff and has a place. It’s shines on pizza and Mac and cheese for me.

Anyway, it's the flavor that both Franks and Crystal brings. Love that flavor on my scrambled eggs & sausage.
I love Frank’s. I agree that it isn’t the greatest for Mexican/ Southwestern foods, but I do like it on sausage, eggs, any Italian food and some breakfast burritos.
Oh, and what if was originally designed for… chicken wings!!!

Back