What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Smell and taste hops and malt. Not sure what makes Christmas ale except when it's brewed but not bad. A touch too bitter for me.
IMG_20221228_174418.jpg

I know you're a fan of the commercial brew. How did this turn out?
It’s pretty darn close. I nailed the color and was only .2 ABV below the real thing. I don’t think my Covid impaired palate could tell them apart in a blind test. :cool:
A74C032C-A24D-43E2-AA40-9D94B43B06F7.jpeg

I stepped on the scale for the first time in over a month the day after Christmas, and it wasn't as bad as I feared but bad enough. So I've cut *way* back, as in I haven't had any alcohol or sweets yet this week (instead of several strong beers and a whiskey or two *every day* and the usual holiday sweets). I'll have a couple or drinks on New Year's Eve, and maybe a beer New Year's day, but I gotta lose 20 pounds or so in a hurry, and it doesn't hurt to give my liver a rest.

But I'm watching this thread and enjoying the beers vicariously. :D It's trendy to do "dry January", but why wait until January, and it doesn't have to be totally dry. I'll probably have a couple a week and make sure they are good ones. Carry on!

Last edited:
Thought I'd pop open a Barleywine before amateur night tomorrow and check the carbonation level on my aged inventory. This is a HB Dark Barleywine bottled on 10 August 2021. Here are the specifics:
  • 9.0kg Simpsons Maris Otter
  • 0.25 kg Special B
  • 0.3kg Weyermann Carafa Sp. 3
  • 100g Apollo 17.7%AA. 50g at 60 minutes and 50g at 10 minutes for 83 IBU (Tinseth)
  • Fermented on a Safeale US-05 yeastcake from an American Amber Ale
OG: 1.092
FG: 1.018
ABV: 9.8%

I made a bit of a mistake in brewing this as I was going to add to the brewing liquor table salt and I used French Sea Salt instead which I found out later is filled with ions I didn't want. It still worked-out, tastes good, and doesn't taste too minerally. Maybe because it's so strong and malty any mineral taste didn't come through.

IMG_8321.jpg

Back