What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Strawberry Blonde. Such lovely, delicious cardboard. It's definitely hit or miss with the oxidation. The few I've had over the last week or so have been alright (one was actually quite tasty), but this one's pretty bad.

Sam Adams Alpine Spring while listing to a bluegrass festival.
Had one left.........maybe not the greatest idea......I do like this tho.

ForumRunner_20130302_212201.png

Qhrumphf said:
My Strawberry Blonde. Such lovely, delicious cardboard. It's definitely hit or miss with the oxidation. The few I've had over the last week or so have been alright (one was actually quite tasty), but this one's pretty bad.

What exactly did you do to that batch? And why is a guy who will pay over $1/oz at the bar punishing himself with it?

What exactly did you do to that batch? And why is a guy who will pay over $1/oz at the bar punishing himself with it?

As for the first question, I'm not sure exactly what happened, but I've got some ideas. It was maybe 3-4 weeks primary, and other 2 in secondary with fruit. The last time I did a fruit beer, I ended up with enough fruit chunks in the bottling bucket that it clogged my bottling wand a couple times, and left some chunks in some bottles. So this time I transferred to a tertiary for a while a) to clear out the fruit and b) to give it some time to age (I think it was about a month). I'm thinking either a) I screwed up somewhere racking (didn't have the end of the hose beneath the beer the whole time cause I couldn't see under the fruit is possible), or I might have had too much head space in the tertiary (there wasn't a whole lot, but I'm not sure). Those are my theories.

As for why I'm punishing myself, some of the bottles are alright. The ones that aren't, well, might as well drill it into my head that I screwed up :mug:

And I've moved on to my Cal Common. Which is NOT oxidized, and outside of a fair amount of chill haze I'm very happy with it.

Qhrumphf said:
As for the first question, I'm not sure exactly what happened, but I've got some ideas. It was maybe 3-4 weeks primary, and other 2 in secondary with fruit. The last time I did a fruit beer, I ended up with enough fruit chunks in the bottling bucket that it clogged my bottling wand a couple times, and left some chunks in some bottles. So this time I transferred to a tertiary for a while a) to clear out the fruit and b) to give it some time to age (I think it was about a month). I'm thinking either a) I screwed up somewhere racking (didn't have the end of the hose beneath the beer the whole time cause I couldn't see under the fruit is possible), or I might have had too much head space in the tertiary (there wasn't a whole lot, but I'm not sure). Those are my theories.

As for why I'm punishing myself, some of the bottles are alright. The ones that aren't, well, might as well drill it into my head that I screwed up :mug:

And I've moved on to my Cal Common. Which is NOT oxidized, and outside of a fair amount of chill haze I'm very happy with it.

I've been drinking my two worst beers tonight so I've not got much room to talk. Who pitches the wrong yeast? Or puts 25$ worth of hops in a stupid wheat Brett beer? Oh well, if these are our worst beers we're probably doing ok.

having some Amarillo wheat, and buying stuff from McMaster-Carr, I really should block that site on my firewall...

Awesome: thats like the second one gallon beer I made.Amarillo wheat. It was Ok, extract proabably old,steeped wheat malt with some crystal malt I think.For like 40 min not shure if it converted but was not bad,pretty fruity at first using 06 yeast fermenting high probably.Aged better.

Tried two special release beers from Dogfish Head tonight:
Life & Limb - 10%: Collaboration with Sierra Nevada. Flowery. Very good.

My Antonia - 7.5%: Continuously hopped Imperial Pilsner. It was OK... good, but probably wouldn't buy it again. I guess I'm not a fan of imperial Pils... kind of goes against what a pils should be.

Gotta love having a craft brew bottle shop!

12oz new Albion ale infused, after pouring, with 3-4 oz of spruce needle tea. Quite an incredible mix. Gives a hint of spruce to an incredibly well done pale. Almost brings a hint of camping to any given drinking session.

I'm trying to kill this keg of dry stout. I thought it was almost gone, but the pints just wont stop.

Just got home from a night of poker and PBR. Now I can get my a$$ to drinkin'! I honestly haven't tried very many of this style and the ones I do try are generally far apart, so my experience with the style is limited. It's listed on Untappd as a Belgian Pale Ale (though the bottle says Trappist Ale), but it's got more of a farmhouse-ish character. A little sour, slightly astringent, highly carbonated, effervescent, and finishes dry as a bone. If I were judging it I'd call it out of style (assuming the brewery calls it a BPA), but for what it is I like it a lot.

20130303_004000.jpg

nukebrewer said:
Just got home from a night of poker and PBR. Now I can get my a$$ to drinkin'! I honestly haven't tried very many of this style and the ones I do try are generally far apart, so my experience with the style is limited. It's listed on Untappd as a Belgian Pale Ale (though the bottle says Trappist Ale), but it's got more of a farmhouse-ish character. A little sour, slightly astringent, highly carbonated, effervescent, and finishes dry as a bone. If I were judging it I'd call it out of style (assuming the brewery calls it a BPA), but for what it is I like it a lot.

Orval is it's own style, although 16E for bjcp.

It's listed on Untappd as a Belgian Pale Ale (though the bottle says Trappist Ale), but it's got more of a farmhouse-ish character. A little sour, slightly astringent, highly carbonated, effervescent, and finishes dry as a bone. If I were judging it I'd call it out of style (assuming the brewery calls it a BPA), but for what it is I like it a lot.

"Trappist Ale" isn't so much a style as it is a brand. Also Orval is indeed a Pale Ale that has been inoculated with Brettanomyces. Therefore as TNGabe said it is a 16E.

Oh yeah...

Drinking a Dark Horse Brewing Co. "Reserve Special Black Ale." If I was judging I'd say it is an American Stout. Hoppier than your typical continental stout and not as strong as an Imperial style.

20130303_114903_zps7623bc39.jpg

For as much Belgian beer as I brew I really need to get a corker and a couple cases of 750ml Belgian bottles. I recently put a Belgian pale ale into regular 12oz bottles at 3.5 volumes of CO2 and frankly I'm scared. They've been in the bottle a month and I started opening one every other day for the past week and the carbonation keeps getting stronger and stronger... :eek:

Here is that Belgian Pale I mentioned. Definitely one of my best brews since I started brewing again after a 6 month hiatus...

20130303_125547_zpsa587a2be.jpg

Can't see it very clearly but you might be able to make out the ridiculous carbonation from this picture:

20130303_125600_zpsc8424bd4.jpg

For as much Belgian beer as I brew I really need to get a corker and a couple cases of 750ml Belgian bottles. I recently put a Belgian pale ale into regular 12oz bottles at 3.5 volumes of CO2 and frankly I'm scared. They've been in the bottle a month and I started opening one every other day for the past week and the carbonation keeps getting stronger and stronger... :eek:

I prefer SN style stubbies to long necks, but unless you used cheap-o thin bottles (e.g. lagaunitas, sam adams, red hook) and you got your priming sugar evenly distributed, no worries at 3.5.

I prefer SN style stubbies to long necks, but unless you used cheap-o thin bottles (e.g. lagaunitas, sam adams, red hook) and you got your priming sugar evenly distributed, no worries at 3.5.

Yeah, I wasn't seriously worried. I still would like carb even more if I could though. I think 4 volumes is the theoretical cutoff for regular 12oz bottles, right?

Latest posts

Back