What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you using one of those kitchen probe thermometers for your mash temps? Those probes are bad news bears. Not designed for use with liquids.

Just to get close and to keep an eye on as the water heats up then I switch to a handheld to get more accurate at the end but the probe one is only off by about 2-3 degrees :mug:

LoloMT7 said:
Just to get close and to keep an eye on as the water heats up then I switch to a handheld to get more accurate at the end but the probe one is only off by about 2-3 degrees :mug:

That's nice. I got water in the probe on mine, mashed at about 125, and have been warning people about them ever since . :mug:

And I'm on to my BdG. My wife is under the weather and not drinking so I should be pretty mouthy in about an hour.

100% natural

image-1138037764.jpg

Swarley88 said:
We might need to do another trade down the line... The white oaked reminds me of a cigar humidor. Plus I smoke cigars :). I wish I didn't have to go outside into the winter wonderland though to have one, so I don't get to have too many during the winter. Glad you liked the Surly. I had their coffee bender the other day and it was amazing. A good brewery that lives up its hype in my opinion.

If the white oak version reminded you of a humidor, wait until you get your hands on a 750ml of the Humidor series! It's normally a year round brew here, but CC has done a bunch of rearranging of their distro (I'm assuming they are trying to expand markets on their 3 main brews) Next time I see some I will grab one and hit you up.

If the white oak version reminded you of a humidor, wait until you get your hands on a 750ml of the Humidor series! It's normally a year round brew here, but CC has done a bunch of rearranging of their distro (I'm assuming they are trying to expand markets on their 3 main brews) Next time I see some I will grab one and hit you up.

Oh please do.

(My) summit heavy IIPA. 8.5%. Explosively hoppy. FWH, a big whirlpool addition at 145*F and dry hops only.

Why 145? I read on here in the Heady Thready that 170° was the whirpool temp to hop at brah.:cross:

I had a Bell's Hopslam that was on tap the other day that was incredible...I think I'm about to go crazy making me some IPAs!

Why 145? I read on here in the Heady Thready that 170° was the whirpool temp to hop at brah.:cross:

The goal was to preserve aromatics and delicate hop flavor. 170 is hot, darn near isomerization temperature. 145 for 30 minutes was a guess out of the blue, and the results are pretty fvcking fantastic.

I can no longer make fun of my wife for taking pictures of our food. I set this one up pre-pour. :)

image-4148901805.jpg

I think it would improve over the next 5 years better than perhaps any other beer. Dang.

Pannepot 2011.

This beer is fvcking amazing! It's an imperial brown collaboration from Schmaltz and Terrapin. Cocoa nibs, vanilla, cinnamon all go awesome in here. The vanilla is maybe just the tiniest bit too strong but still very enjoyable. There was only one bottle at the shop but I am hoping I can find another to age for a while. Brown was a great choice of style since with your roastier dark beers I find the competition between roast/coffee and the other subtler flavors to be distracting. With a brown there's a nice caramel sweetness that just harmonizes much better with the subtler flavors than roast/coffee does.

20130209_191800.jpg

PhelanKA7 said:
That's the only Lagunitas I've ever had but I still remember it two years later. I wish we got that stuff out here in the Midwest. It'd probably lose it's quality though like New Belgium did after they expanded east of the Mississippi.

When I lived in CO fat tire was my go to beer. Now I live in MD and I can hardly justify getting one at a restaurant aside from I miss CO totally different taste. If little sumpin is better farther west then ill just hate myself more

That's the only Lagunitas I've ever had but I still remember it two years later. I wish we got that stuff out here in the Midwest. It'd probably lose it's quality though like New Belgium did after they expanded east of the Mississippi.

Well you'll find out soon from what their website shows they are moving to Chicago I think it was Chicago......

Having a pumkinfest from allenH whilst bottling my brown ale.

Well done. I was supposed to bottle 2 batches, transfer, oak, etc, and did squat.

This beer is fvcking amazing! It's an imperial brown collaboration from Schmaltz and Terrapin. Cocoa nibs, vanilla, cinnamon all go awesome in here. The vanilla is maybe just the tiniest bit too strong but still very enjoyable. There was only one bottle at the shop but I am hoping I can find another to age for a while. Brown was a great choice of style since with your roastier dark beers I find the competition between roast/coffee and the other subtler flavors to be distracting. With a brown there's a nice caramel sweetness that just harmonizes much better with the subtler flavors than roast/coffee does.

I might hafta get on the Terrapin love train after this one. I've got a Phlux Capacitor I've been saving. :D

Have I told you guys about how great the 'tour' at Terrapin is? Georgia has some whacky beer laws, so breweries can't sell beer buy the glass and I couldn't get a beer with brunch. Anywho, at Terrapin it's $10 for a 'tour', you get a pint glass and 8 tickets for taster pours. The tour is optional, they have bands, people bring chairs, umbrellas, and picnics, and the taster pours are 8-12oz. They had Monk's Revenge, Phlux Capacitor, maybe Hopesecutioner, and some collab big beer plus the other stuff when I went. I'm a drunk and I still left with several tickets. If all the college girls in Athens weren't wearing mom shorts these days and it wasn't 95 degrees when we went it would have been perfect.

Athens also has a great bar next door to a Waffle House. Went down for Funky Fest which is 5 stars if you're within 6 hours or so.

Having a growler of Flat Earths Great Design Smore's Porter. This is really good. It tastes exactly like a smore. Just not to extremely marshmallowy or chocolately. Really balanced. Smells roasty, tastes sweet. Glad I came across this today at the brewery.

Well you'll find out soon from what their website shows they are moving to Chicago I think it was Chicago......

Apparently they're too cool for Asheille. :D It is Chicago. Papper had a write up on his blog from the Lagunitas expansion opening party.

Back