What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First and second pulls of my house Ordinary Bitter. Love this beer.

20150424_165351[1].jpg

Maybe you can hawk firewood out of the trunk of your car.

Or would that be making a job out of a hobby?

That's cute.

When you're out of a job, I'll remember to mind-**** you. Thanks in advance. You're cooler than I will ever be.

She scratched her cornea while we were hiking so she's been rubbing her eye all over the carpet. She'll be fine. Steroid drops are in effect, she wouldn't even open her eye before. Hope your friend's dog is so I'm alright. Sounds like they need matching cones of shame!

Recipe is in my drop down. Not my most "to style" recipe but I dig it. It's on the malty end of the style, for sure. Kind of walks the line between Bitter and Pale Mild. But I brew a number of other Bitters too...

Never had a bitter, if you mean ESB I guess. I keep seeing what I assume is bluebird bitter at store but never picked it up. Know nothing about style but sounds enticing.

Hey, @Qhrumphf. I'll brew one of your beers. Send me the ****ing recipe. I don't want an ESB as I really like my ESB recipe. Send me some other soccer stuff. I'd be happy to brew it and drink the entire 5-gallons in two days. Seriously, send me something.

Hey, @Qhrumphf. I'll brew one of your beers. Send me the ****ing recipe. I don't want an ESB as I really like my ESB recipe. Send me some other soccer stuff. I'd be happy to brew it and drink the entire 5-gallons in two days. Seriously, send me something.

You're so awesome it hurts.

I thought he brewed one gallon batches and mixed in the priming sugar with four gallons of water on bottling day?

Never had a bitter, if you mean ESB I guess. I keep seeing what I assume is bluebird bitter at store but never picked it up. Know nothing about style but sounds enticing.

ESB is the strongest form of Bitter, and most commercially available "ESBs" (even English ones) barely fit the style. There's a reason that many commercial plentiful English former "ESBs" have been removed and put into a different category in the new 2015 BJCP guidelines (and that includes Fullers ESB). If you can find Wychwood Scarecrow, Sam Smith Old Brewery Pale Ale, Black Sheep Ale, or Shepherd Neame Spitfire, those I would consider to be Strong Bitters (ESB being essentially a Fullers name at this point, most US-made "ESBs" aren't very good examples either, and no one else in England uses the acronym). Other examples (Adnams Broadside, Fullers ESB, etc) don't really fit the style, too big, too malty. Some, like Morlans Old Speckled Hen kind of walk the line.

I'm big on the smalller Best and Ordinary Bitters. That's where Coniston falls, as well as Fullers London Pride (with Coniston and Fullers forming sort of extremes of the style, clean/hoppy and fruity/malty respectively).

It's not a "punch you in the liver" style like @Remmy is more accustomed to. Balanced, easy drinking. Balanced to bitter, but compared to an APA or IPA it'll seem malty. But it's a fairly wide group of styles. Can't decide if I love Bitters or Milds more ;) Bitters are certainly easier to come by.

The way I think of it, enough complexity to be interesting but straightforward enough and low enough alcohol to drink pint after pint after pint. Which is what I do.

Also, first pin is already gone. Yeah, I drank a gallon of Bitter in 2 hours, what of it?

Back