What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know that compared to some of you guys I'm a sheltered beer drinker. But I do travel and trade, and I think Bell's is the best all around brewery that I know. Some places do great dark beers, others great hoppy beers. I think Bell's does the spectrum as well as anyone. However, after tasting some stuff at Cigar City last year that they don't package, I'm inclined to believe they may be on the same level.

Just finished a kombucha and I'm already yawning. Maybe I'll grab a beer before I fall asleep.

We get some Bell's here and I have tried and liked the Two Hearted; however, I recently saw that they were suing a small North Carolina brewery because their name is Innovation Brewing. Bell's claims that the small brewery, Innovation Brewing, would create confusion amongst consumers, considering their (unregistered) advertising slogan "bottling innovation since 1985". I have also heard that Larry Bell is an arrogant ass (no claim on my part...just an opinion I read from someone else and an example was given.) So, I'm good without Bell's...indefinitely.
http://detroit.eater.com/2015/3/11/8191539/bells-brewery-innovation-brewing-north-carolina-michigan-trademark-lawsuit-craft-beer

this now

FullSizeRender.jpg

Yep. Must be mixing up the two locations. I wish they were here. I've been wanting Bell's here ever since my first double cream stout and cherry stout in '06.

Why didn't you say so. I've seen some expedition around here and there.

Quality control for a beer fest tomorrow.
80 shilling:

Kolsch (I would have liked another week or two since Kolsch yeast is a slow floccer, but this is going to be a hit with the Blue Moon crowd):

Just finished a kombucha and I'm already yawning. Maybe I'll grab a beer before I fall asleep.

We get some Bell's here and I have tried and liked the Two Hearted; however, I recently saw that they were suing a small North Carolina brewery because their name is Innovation Brewing. Bell's claims that the small brewery, Innovation Brewing, would create confusion amongst consumers, considering their (unregistered) advertising slogan "bottling innovation since 1985". I have also heard that Larry Bell is an arrogant ass (no claim on my part...just an opinion I read from someone else and an example was given.) So, I'm good without Bell's...indefinitely.
http://detroit.eater.com/2015/3/11/8191539/bells-brewery-innovation-brewing-north-carolina-michigan-trademark-lawsuit-craft-beer

Won't get into this debate, but I think this "suing" (despite no law suit) is a crazy media "David v Goliath" story, with a lot of legal nuances that the media neither understands nor cares about.

I met Larry once. It was years ago. But he spent an absurd amount of time teaching a group of dumb college guys how to brew beer and giving them a bunch of free equipment to get started. I'm reluctant to buy into the "Larry Bell hates the start up guy" story.

Why didn't you say so. I've seen some expedition around here and there.

Oh, I've had plenty of Bell's despite not being in their distribution. So, it's not something I actively look to trade for. Just hoping they'll be in TX one day.
On the topic of Bell's, it might just be me, but it seems like THA tastes better canned than in the bottle. Anyone else think so too?

Oh, I've had plenty of Bell's despite not being in their distribution. So, it's not something I actively look to trade for. Just hoping they'll be in TX one day.
On the topic of Bell's, it might just be me, but it seems like THA tastes better canned than in the bottle. Anyone else think so too?

Yes. Better in cans.

It's absolutely better in cans. It's my go to camping beer I always take some canned Oberon and two heart with me.

Yes. Better in cans.

Not just you. Can is definitely better. No chance of light affecting it.

It's absolutely better in cans. It's my go to camping beer I always take some canned Oberon and two heart with me.

I knew it couldn't just be me. I definitely like what's happened with canned craft beer in the last few years. Canned IPAs are killin' it right now.

I think olotti may be my alter ego. Two Hearted and Oberon in cans at the campground = perfect day...well, if I've also caught a few fish with my boy...

Am I the only one here still watching college hoops tonight? I want to see Steve Fisher lose by 1,000 points. " That Steve Fisher should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell...cookie?"

I knew it couldn't just be me. I definitely like what's happened with canned craft beer in the last few years. Canned IPAs are killin' it right now.

I agree if I had a brewery I'd can everything excepts say a ris or bba ris, but otherwise all cans. Klimich is onto something when he describes popping the can on a heady and the nose just explodes I get that from a lot of the canned IPAs and dipas I've tried. It happens in bottles too don't get me wrong but just seems more intense coming out of a can, maybe it's just the sound of cracking the can, one of the best sounds ever, that helps the experience.

Am I the only one here still watching college hoops tonight? I want to see Steve Fisher lose by 1,000 points. " That Steve Fisher should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell...cookie?"

Maybe it's a Michigan campong thing. Lol. I love the late hoops games gives me an excuse to stay up.

I love the late hoops games gives me an excuse to stay up. Not a Michigan fan huh.

I'm a big Michigan football fan. I love Izzo and respect the MSU basketball program. I went to a Big East school with a lot of basketball tradition, but horrible recent success.

I was the same age as the Fab Five, and met more than one of them when I played HS ball. I think what went down at Michigan at that time is disgusting, and I do not believe for a minute that Fisher was not involved.

I agree if I had a brewery I'd can everything excepts say a ris or bba ris, but otherwise all cans. Klimich is onto something when he describes popping the can on a heady and the nose just explodes I get that from a lot of the canned IPAs and dipas I've tried. It happens in bottles too don't get me wrong but just seems more intense coming out of a can, maybe it's just the sound of cracking the can, one of the best sounds ever, that helps the experience.

Yep. I love that sound of cracking open a can. Even better when the contents aren't an adjunct heavy American lager. Unless it's Coors original. I'm never too good to crack open the banquet beer. :D

I'm a big Michigan football fan. I love Izzo and respect the MSU basketball program. I went to a Big East school with a lot of basketball tradition, but horrible recent success.

I was the same age as the Fab Five, and met more than one of them when I played HS ball. I think what went down at Michigan at that time is disgusting, and I do not believe for a minute that Fisher was not involved.

For sure he knew what was going on I agree to claim ignorance on his part is no excuse.

Pale ale from NoDa, Charlotte, NC...big can, big glass. Centennial, Simcoe, and Citra. 5.1%. Great aroma! Nice balance in the flavors.

IMG_20150320_234016725.jpg

Haha...I just realized how non cryptic my "...I met more than one..." statement was. Clearly, I met Weber and Rose...my "not naming names" thing doesn't much work when they were the only two from here and I said "more than one".

This will prob get missed but my folks are in myrtle beach. Is there anything they can get there I should ask for. Do they ship cigar city to SC?

Can't help with this. But when I'm in FL, anything you want me to pick up?

when are u going? I'd hate to put u out but I love jai lai and their invasion pale ale. Never had anything else but I'm up for always trying diff stuff too seems we have the same taste. It's up to u and I really appreciate the generosity and offer.

I survived the birthday/St. Paddy's day hangover. So I did what any of us fine, upstanding, completely logical individuals would do. I went out and got more beer. I ended up picking up a growler of Shiner Holiday Cheer.
In a related story, FT: Growler of Shiner Holiday cheer (minus one pint-carbonation not guaranteed)

Drinking a He'Brew Death of a Contract Brewer. Pretty solid black IPA methinks.

Back