What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not happy. Drove to Whorelando. Condo has no decent WiFi. TV sets from the '90's in the bedrooms and the family room one was cheap, small flat screen. Freezer made a rattling sound. Finally get moved to another room...better WiFi, but everything else same. Oh, except smaller. One a.m. and I'm mad, awake, sinus crap going crazy again...and NO BEER!!! Somebody is getting an ass chewing in a few hours. (And not in a good way.)

Bolg is strong. Already buzzin after a couple of these. Not bad for a tripel but ends a little bit too much on the spicy end for my taste. Drinkable though especially the more you drink :)

EDIT: uhh...drink even more and it'll make everything turn sideways. not sure how to rotate it back. original picture seems fine

20141207_230205.jpg

I though you had developed a new drinking game:D

That would make one hell of a beer bong too. Although I think it would be considered committing Suicide if you beer bong 2-3 craft beers at 7+ABV or at the very least a party foul for wasting good beer in such a way

Either way morning got here way to early water and coffee

I'm queen ******* for "liking" your post. I'm sorry about your kitty. How long did you have it?
Also, those aholes who burned the bird early a suck. People suck sometimes. I hope tomorrow is a better day.

@remmy you need to man up buddy. :cross:

No worries - I know you weren't liking what happened.

Someone (Mark?) sent this to me last December. Its really good! :D
View attachment 240573

Possibly, I send that out pretty often.

Thanks for all the well wishes everyone - finally went through the last day and a half of posts to get caught up. More coffee but I bet I won't be drinking as much as some of you! ;)

What's brewing?

nuke: Heady clone with British ale yeast
me: DIPA with columbus, mosaic, cascade + belgian abbey yeast

Think nuke had an OG of 1.084 with roughly 15 lbs. of grain.
Mine was 1.100 and 19 lbs.

Both should come out pretty good. Can't wait until we're drinking 'em.

Hauled wood inside for the last hour and a half. It's only 17F with a wind chill of 3F. I am not enjoying a Coff by the fire pit.

It isn't even 10 am and today has already been hell. I am super convinced that one lady in particular doesn't read my emails and because of that, the company is put at risk. Not a fan.

Water...probably more coffee soon.

Flight is delayed for 'something having to do with paint' according to the gate agent. 'It's a safety thing'. Uh, thanks.

Just let me on the plane so I can fall asleep. Grr

Flight is delayed for 'something having to do with paint' according to the gate agent. 'It's a safety thing'. Uh, thanks.

Just let me on the plane so I can fall asleep. Grr

Luckily I did not have a delay like that. There was one flight that was late but not by much. The only problem is arriving at 10pm saturday and wait 40 mins!!! for my bags. I was so pissed.

Luckily I did not have a delay like that. There was one flight that was late but not by much. The only problem is arriving at 10pm saturday and wait 40 mins!!! for my bags. I was so pissed.

Gate change, new plane, going on 3 hour delay. Might not bother going in to the office when I get there, just straight to the hotel...We'll see...

Water.

So I'm curious, if given the choice, would you want a shed that is set up and dedicated to brewing or would you just want to brew in your garage? Pro of the garage is not having to spend a lot of money on a shed, which I think may really look out of place where I want it. But the shed will eventually have plumbing, which would be easier and cheaper to do than it would be in the garage.

Water.

So I'm curious, if given the choice, would you want a shed that is set up and dedicated to brewing or would you just want to brew in your garage? Pro of the garage is not having to spend a lot of money on a shed, which I think may really look out of place where I want it. But the shed will eventually have plumbing, which would be easier and cheaper to do than it would be in the garage.

I'd prefer a shed for all of my wood. :rockin:

I think the financial question there revolves around how expensive the plumming would be in the garage. I had running water in an outbuilding years ago and had to heat the outbuilding all winter. Cost a fortune! If it is an attached garage, it could be a much cheaper option if you can afford to lose space to an ever growing brew hobby. I have added lots of bathrooms to garages and found a way to get the water out. It can be done!

I think the financial question there revolves around how expensive the plumming would be in the garage. I had running water in an outbuilding years ago and had to heat the outbuilding all winter. Cost a fortune! If it is an attached garage, it could be a much cheaper option if you can afford to lose space to an ever growing brew hobby. I have added lots of bathrooms to garages and found a way to get the water out. It can be done!

Why would you have to heat the shed if you ran water? I ask because the shed would be about 4' from a hose spigot. While I am building things up, whether it is in a shed or in a garage, I planned on using an inline RV water filter and drinking water hose. The spigot isn't the issue with outdoor water, it's always the hose. However, eventually I'd probably run pipe to the shed and my thought was that it wouldn't need to be heated. It would come from the hose spigot. We do not see many nights with below freezing temps in comparison to the north. It has happened before for sure though. I have definitely figured that I would insulate the shed at the very least. My garage doesn't have insulation and it does drop to 30F easy.

The issue with the garage is space. After nearly 3 years of leaving a space that was emptied when a second motorcycle left, I put a fairly large ferm chamber there. Beside that is a shelf holding paint and stuff like bug spray, weed killer, etc etc, another shelf sits beside that holding tools, then a workbench which I built. The back wall is free mostly to let my truck fit. It's a tight fit as is. I have a 10cu ft fridge on that back wall. Then the wall with the door to my house, another 36" wide shelf (brew stuff), my bikes, and my motorcycle. So all around there is stuff. Removing the ferm chamber will give me a space but then where do I ferment? I've been standing in the garage trying to figure out if I can make room, but I haven't come up with anything.

I like to make things with wood. That is another factor because the amount of sawdust that I deal with is plenty. I don't want to really ferment nor brew there. Which is why the shed seemed like a good idea.

tl;dr:
why do I need to heat the brew shed?

Water.

Water over here as well.

I'm actually considering doing something like the 'shed' idea eventually in the back yard. I would probably go with something a little more elaborate than a shed though since my plan was to have back yard 'man cave' with my brewing setup, but be able to entertain in the space too. Basically what I do in my garage now without having to roll the jeep and truck out when I brew or we host poker night.

Why would you have to heat the shed if you ran water? I ask because the shed would be about 4' from a hose spigot. While I am building things up, whether it is in a shed or in a garage, I planned on using an inline RV water filter and drinking water hose. The spigot isn't the issue with outdoor water, it's always the hose. However, eventually I'd probably run pipe to the shed and my thought was that it wouldn't need to be heated. It would come from the hose spigot. We do not see many nights with below freezing temps in comparison to the north. It has happened before for sure though. I have definitely figured that I would insulate the shed at the very least. My garage doesn't have insulation and it does drop to 30F easy.

The issue with the garage is space. After nearly 3 years of leaving a space that was emptied when a second motorcycle left, I put a fairly large ferm chamber there. Beside that is a shelf holding paint and stuff like bug spray, weed killer, etc etc, another shelf sits beside that holding tools, then a workbench which I built. The back wall is free mostly to let my truck fit. It's a tight fit as is. I have a 10cu ft fridge on that back wall. Then the wall with the door to my house, another 36" wide shelf (brew stuff), my bikes, and my motorcycle. So all around there is stuff. Removing the ferm chamber will give me a space but then where do I ferment? I've been standing in the garage trying to figure out if I can make room, but I haven't come up with anything.

I like to make things with wood. That is another factor because the amount of sawdust that I deal with is plenty. I don't want to really ferment nor brew there. Which is why the shed seemed like a good idea.

tl;dr:

The only reason to heat would be in case of freezing. Around here outside faucets work because they empty themselves above the frost line (the valve is on the bottom down in the dirt, not up by the handle where it looks like it is. Faucets on the side of a house have the valve a foot into the house, not outside where it looks like it is. When I had a wash basin and running water in an unattached garage in Indiana, I either had to shut off water to the building, blow out the lines with compressed air, and empty out the traps (stinky) or keep it above freezing. Bursting pipes are a headache! If it stays relatively warm where you are the shed would work without any of that hassle.

tl;dr:

If you are going to have plumbing to the brew shed you want it to be heated at least a bit. Just like the spigots for outdoor hoses shut off some 8 inches into the house, and you want the hose disconnected during the wintertime. If the temp in the plumbed shed drops below freezing you can burst a pipe and then you will be having a bad day. Same would go for the garage unless it always stays above freezing in there too.

The only reason to heat would be in case of freezing. Around here outside faucets work because they empty themselves above the frost line (the valve is on the bottom down in the dirt, not up by the handle where it looks like it is. Faucets on the side of a house have the valve a foot into the house, not outside where it looks like it is. When I had a wash basin and running water in an unattached garage in Indiana, I either had to shut off water to the building, blow out the lines with compressed air, and empty out the traps (stinky) or keep it above freezing. Bursting pipes are a headache! If it stays relatively warm where you are the shed would work without any of that hassle.

That makes a lot of sense. I'll have to sit on this. Also, the largest I'm willing to go with the shed is 8x10. I don't have a super ideal location so it has to be tucked behind the garage but it will stick out a bit. I need to leave the house walls free and easily accessibile since my electric meter, cable box, dryer vent, chimney, and water source are all there. I think 8x10 is doable for a shed that will only be used for brewing. I hope.

It sort of seems like I may have to pull a hose in each time for now. I don't know how I'd heat the shed.

Water while I search my house for beer I'm supposed to send today. I don't know how I lost 6 bottles.

That makes a lot of sense. I'll have to sit on this. Also, the largest I'm willing to go with the shed is 8x10. I don't have a super ideal location so it has to be tucked behind the garage but it will stick out a bit. I need to leave the house walls free and easily accessibile since my electric meter, cable box, dryer vent, chimney, and water source are all there. I think 8x10 is doable for a shed that will only be used for brewing. I hope.

It sort of seems like I may have to pull a hose in each time for now. I don't know how I'd heat the shed.

Water while I search my house for beer I'm supposed to send today. I don't know how I lost 6 bottles.

If you are right up against the house have you thought about a lean-too. Lots cheaper than a shed and with a shared wall with the house it will stay above freezing for a while in lower temps. If you build it as an open structure for the inspection and throw the non load baring walls up after you can get away with no foundation.

If you are right up against the house have you thought about a lean-too. Lots cheaper than a shed and with a shared wall with the house it will stay above freezing for a while in lower temps. If you build it as an open structure for the inspection and throw the non load baring walls up after you can get away with no foundation.

I can't build against the house due to the available walls, unfortunately. There is a chimney and dryer vent on one, cable box & electrical meter on another, and on the other side of the house, there are two HVAC units. Against the long side (19') of the garage was ruled out because the minimum width of the shed would have to be basically 4' to allow for the appropriate setback from my property line. That is the only wall of the home that doesn't have any restrictions short of the easement.

Coke. Because I can.

Cut down a cedar tree last fall and just burned two pieces in my indoor pit. Not supposed to, but wanted that awesome aroma outside as I work.

Flocc.

Ugh...had to play Bad Cop/***** Cop with multiple time share people for a couple hours this morning. Finally settled in a nice, renovated unit. Going to rest a little and then go see what they have onsite for beer. Not getting my hopes up, but I'll be looking around town more later!

For now, Diet Cherry Pepsi.

Water, about to head to a PhD dissertation defense. It is one of our students in the lab and his topic was interesting so it should be painless.

Back