What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I went into the fridge looking for something easy drinking and came up empty handed. So what do I do? Drink an entire bottle of cabernet sauvignon I found hiding behind my liquor bottles. Though in my defense, red wine is easier drinking than imperial stout and dopplebock, so I technically achieved my goal.

In the same place, but doubling their footprint. Bought out / leased the space next door. It was slow, so talked with Scott ( owner / head brewer) about his plans. Hopes to be able to supply to local bars soon. Also hoping for good results at GABF. We talked TX breweries for awhile - told him I was impressed with Karbach and Real Ale. He will try to connect with them if they are at GABF.

I told him I get requests to ship growlers across the country.

He was stoked that people outside of Denver:
1. know about his brewery, and
2. are asking for his beer.

They were gearing up for 3 year anniversary party this weekend, but still wanted to make sure everyone there was happy with the beer he was serving.

Back on topic - rye saison
View attachment 224723

Im sure he was especially a brewery his size. I just want to get a few of his beers. Had fun last time i went and now i can talk more shop than i did 2 years ago. Need another trip there.. maybe next year

Anyone coming in for GABF, you can start sampling once you get off the plane. The airport has a 'pop-up' beer garden until Oct 4th.
$10 for a glass and 10 - 2oz samples from CO breweries.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/todayinthesky/2014/09/17/denver-airport-beer-garden/15767185/

Another pour of my CPA
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1411097389.707547.jpg

Anyone coming in for GABF, you can start sampling once you get off the plane. The airport has a 'pop-up' beer garden until Oct 4th.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/todayinthesky/2014/09/17/denver-airport-beer-garden/15767185/

Another pour of my CPA
View attachment 224740

Not GABF, but will be at Crooked Staves What the Funk on that Thursday. May need to check out that place at the airport, thanks for the heads up!

Got some porter bottled from the keg for a comp and now making a starter for Saturdays brew, an "altoberfest". We ferment our Oktoberfest with alt yeast to turn it faster and dammit it works pretty well. Enjoying this rum, surprisingly good for $13/1.75 liter bottle.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1411102127.908773.jpg

Coffee...SWMBO is off to shoulder surgery with her Mom. She'll be done and back to the in-law's house before the kids ever wake up...but I have my assignment. Catching up here, then a round of news and maybe try to get back to bed for a snooze. After her Mom frets over her today, SWMBO will be home for the night. (And her parent's house is literally a hundred yards away...or less.)

A friend has offered a Cascade hops harvest at her house...she has a BUNCH! Need to find a time to go in the next several days. Then I need a good recipe to showcase them. Will probably vacuum seal and freeze them.

Thursday night football is the worst

That game was so horrible I actually tuned in to watch the 'what a kicker shouldn't do' clinic in Manhattan. ;)

Agreed.

Here's a bad decision. Getting bomb!d
View attachment 224727
If I keep drinking it half a glass at a time I'll be ok, right?

A half a glass never hurt anyone. Ten half glasses though ...

Coffee - was up late last night baking and prepping for company coming over after work for dinner. Too tired to work out this morning so extra coffee and a relaxing start to the day for a change.

Coffee x2

Anyone use cherry extract? Is it worth it or does it have a artificial flavor?- brewing a stout this weekend I wanna add cherry and vanilla too

What kind of extract? For baking? Or this stuff? ImageUploadedByHome Brew1411129971.307610.jpg
Because if it's that stuff, don't waste the money and batch of beer on it. I haven't used the cherry, but I have used the peach and blackberry in the past and they both suck and completely ruin the beer. Stay far away from that whole line of artificial flavorings.
I don't have any experience with cherry extract sold for baking or cooking, though.

What kind of extract? For baking? Or this stuff? View attachment 224757
Because if it's that stuff, don't waste the money and batch of beer on it. I haven't used the cherry, but I have used the peach and blackberry in the past and they both suck and completely ruin the beer. Stay far away from that whole line of artificial flavorings.
I don't have any experience with cherry extract sold for baking or cooking, though.

I haven't used it but I would expect a fake cherry/cough syrup like aftertaste. I'd recommend finding frozen cherries (sweet or Montmorency if you want tart) and add them in the secondary.

More coffee. TGIF!

I haven't used it but I would expect a fake cherry/cough syrup like aftertaste. I'd recommend finding frozen cherries (sweet or Montmorency if you want tart) and add them in the secondary.

More coffee. TGIF!

I've used all sorts of extracts and I am very convinced that using the real stuff is the way to go. add real cherries, blueberries, vanilla, cocoa/cocoa nibs, toasted coconut, coffee, etc. when possible.

More coffee. TGIF!

Thank you for the responses- yes that is the very extract i have and i was worried it would be a fake taste- im very glad i asked now. I absolutly hate a fake cherry taste. Reminds me of medicine when i was a kid. That and fake grape

I think i am gonna go the secondary frozen cherry route. Just not sure if i wanna do sweet or tart- i think sweet since im adding vanilla also

thanks for the replies

on da water

on another note, Im sure some of you have seen blurbs or headlines about this but i wanted to post this on here just to get it out even further. This happened about a week ago one town over from mine and i hope they find this scum bag and hang him from his nut sack. The trooper who was killed was a friend of a friends and i met him 2 or 3 times, my buddy was a trooper with him down towards philly for awhile. my friend delivered the eulogy. The person they are looking for is on the FBI's most wanted list.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/police-trooper-killed-ambush-laid-rest-25585076

Thank you for the responses- yes that is the very extract i have and i was worried it would be a fake taste- im very glad i asked now. I absolutly hate a fake cherry taste. Reminds me of medicine when i was a kid. That and fake grape

I think i am gonna go the secondary frozen cherry route. Just not sure if i wanna do sweet or tart- i think sweet since im adding vanilla also

thanks for the replies

on da water

In a stout I think the sweet would work best - especially with the vanilla. The roasted malt astringency should keep it from being too sweet.

On a rare coffee. Tomorrow is brew day. Setting up the TV for Gameday on the porch. Making my starter at lunch. Bring on brew day!!! And maybe a meatball sub, I'm pretty hungry right now.

Another pour of my CPA
View attachment 224740

Awesome. I'll have to hit that up when I arrive. :)

thanks for the replies

on da water

Yeah, do frozen. I use 6lbs of frozen in my cherry wheat which seems good to me.

Cup of coffee #2.

What can I use the extract for now? Cherry punches?

yes, you should punch yourself in the cherries. hahahaa!!! how big a batch you doing? if it's 8-10 gallons and you want to be rid of it, you can add that in primary and the frozen cherries (especially the tart varieties) should mask the twang from the extract and still add to the flavor a little. if it's only 4-6 gallons, the twang will be quite a bit more noticeable and I'd steer clear and use only the frozen.

more coffee. I'm a C8H10N4O2 junky.

I'm on the front page with spelling errors. I no good at english lol

Congrats man.

Coffee here. Excited for a bottle share tonight. Haven't been able to make the last couple with this group and I've got some good stuff to share. One guy just got back from Europe and is a Catador member so I'm sure he'll have some goodies too.

Latest posts

Back