What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Calfornis Common ale, made with us-05. Just bottled part two of this experiment yesterday, made with wlp810. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1403443206.309426.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

And thank you to all on this thread who helped me with my mash/sparge/water questions. My efficiency yesterday was 75% which is drastically better than I've ever done with an all grain brew.

More coffee looking at my brew day notes.

I forgot to add calc. chloride and epson salts to my sparge water as I had originally planned. With RO water, I'm guessing this will not have much impact on the beer, right?

In the brewing chemistry forum I asked a similar question and Yooper suggested using only RO water with no additions for sparging. So that's what I do.

In the brewing chemistry forum I asked a similar question and Yooper suggested using only RO water with no additions for sparging. So that's what I do.

I thought I remembered reading a similar comment from Yooper once, which is why I was not overly concerned about the oversight.

I've hear all this hoopla about Sour Beers. Magazine articles touting it's brilliance. I went to my local bar that was having a 21 tap extravaganza. The place was PACKED! I had 8 different brews & almost died. 1 of the brews I had a violent reaction & almost threw up, it went up my nose & burned like hell!

YMMV but thank God I didn't waste my time and brew 1 of those. :p Some samples I could only take 1 sip. I didn't finish any of them.

Ugh. People drink that stuff!?

I'm not a huge fan of sours, either. I don't have quite your level of objection but I don't think I'd spend the time and effort to brew one.

I've hear all this hoopla about Sour Beers. Magazine articles touting it's brilliance. I went to my local bar that was having a 21 tap extravaganza. The place was PACKED! I had 8 different brews & almost died. 1 of the brews I had a violent reaction & almost threw up, it went up my nose & burned like hell!

YMMV but thank God I didn't waste my time and brew 1 of those. :p Some samples I could only take 1 sip. I didn't finish any of them.

What brewery were they from? Your palate may just be broken lol.
This was from last night. From a growler, Perrin 2x Raspberry Blonde. Tastes a lot like a lambic then a slight bready finish. Most of the beers at Perrin were pretty amazing, I can't wait till they bottle!

1403451686580.jpg

I've only had one sour but I thought it was nice! It was jolly pumpkin la roja. Definitely can see it being an acquired taste though. It tasted similar to kombucha to me.

More coffee and am watching soccer with a napping baby laying on me. I had planned to brew today but my knee is killing me so just taking it easy.

Water with lunch.

I've soaked oak chips in bourbon/whiskey with no problems, but is wine strong enough to "sanitize" oak chips? Want to 'barrel age' a saison...

Water with lunch.

I've soaked oak chips in bourbon/whiskey with no problems, but is wine strong enough to "sanitize" oak chips? Want to 'barrel age' a saison...

Ill be interested in hearing the answer to this. A wine "barrel" aged saison sounds amazing.

Well I wouldn't yuck anyone's yum or question why they like something but I like some very mild sours. Entering into the world there are definitely some I did not like at all.

So yes, people drink that stuff. I suppose the answer was clear when you noticed how packed the place was.

Water. I feel groggy today and there's no reason for that to be the case.

And thank you to all on this thread who helped me with my mash/sparge/water questions. My efficiency yesterday was 75% which is drastically better than I've ever done with an all grain brew.

Glad it went so well for you! and i agree that blowoff activity sounds so much better than an airlock haha.

Water with lunch.

Ship it to me and I'll oak it for you. Great idea. :D

That handfarm you had was a barrel fermented version of their house saison.

And it was fantastic! I have just never thought of making a home brew version of the style. Ive got a north river brewery j marie barreled and bretted (saison in red wine barrels) in my cellar that I'm having a hard time not drinking. I just wanna wait another year so the brett can develop enough.

Collaboration brew :)

Where'd you get that barrel? I'd like to get one of them, obviously without that dumb logo though ;)

I'll give you the details.

Of course it's an ugly logo when you're a Rutgers fan. :D

Water with lunch.

I added some oak to my saison last week. I was planning on soaking the cubes in Chardonnay but I never got around to it so I just did a quick soak in starsan.

Woke up to a loud crashing sound at 3 this morning while camping. Looked out and saw this. Small dent in the top of my pickup, but the main branch missed it by about a foot.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1403462420.887224.jpg

Busting my hump in the yard and killing these salmon beers like my name is Remmy.

I like it. Cheers.

I'm on my 6th or 7th brew. Trying to pace myself before I start chanting "USA, USA, USA" like a ****ing maniac and my "neighbors" (the wildlife). Going to get smacked. Believe it.

Woke up to a loud crashing sound at 3 this morning while camping. Looked out and saw this. Small dent in the top of my pickup, but the main branch missed it by about a foot.
View attachment 207132

Damn! Glad you dodged most of the damage. That sucker would have totaled the truck out for sure!

Dumped half a Two Hearted down my leg while frantically looking for the sprinkler line I must have broken...and that was on beer number two. RIP, my good friend, THA.

Also, I just hopped the fence to rip out some tall weeds in the neighbor's yard because A) I was sick of looking at them and B) I thought I'd be a good neighbor. Now I'm 50% sure that I exposed 80% of my shirtless, gloveless body to poison ivy. Yeah, today! But I am enjoying the yard work, to be truthful.

Back