What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lgr!

1402190380095.jpg

One more of my astringent Pales as a nightcap. If I were told every day for the rest of my life would be like today, I'd be ok with it.

Sent from here, because that's where I am.

Doing a head to head comparison. My milk stout made with Costa Rican cocoa husks in primary and nibs in the secondary and then bottled with a home-brewed Kona blend cold-brewed coffee concentrate...I call it a Mocha Latte Stout...versus Troegs Java Head.

Okay...Troegs has got a better head on the pour and dissipates, leaving a partial thin layer on the surface. As I drink it, it leaves a nice lacing on the glass. Mine is a more fizzy carb and the head goes away. No lacing.

Coffee is clearly present in the aroma on Java Head. I quickly get a malt sweetness and a hit that I think is hops and quickly becomes coffee with a slightly sour, then bitter finish. The aroma on mine is a little sweeter coffee with the chocolate coming through. The flavor on mine is definitely coffee and a little chocolate. It has bitterness, but there's nothing "hoppy" about it and it doesn't really linger. I think the sweetness in mine is all chocolate/lactose, I think they cover any hops and I don't get malt.

So, while I think mine very tasty and I like the coffee/chocolate flavor, Troegs Java Head is definitely more complex and, though the coffee is obvious, the malt and hops still manage to come through. And the carb/head is much smoother and finer than mine.

I plan to brew an all-grain version of mine in the future and I'll make some tweaks to refine the head and carb, and I may change the hops variety and bump the amount...or have a 15 minute addition. I'm not sure how to not cover the malt.

So...both good, mine not as complex...and I'm having fun getting smacked!

DSC04951.jpg

DSC04949.jpg

Apparently the 'something different' was
Coffee.

Yep I am in NOVA/DC. Let me know. Funny.... My mother has similar gripes when I ask her to bring Jester King with her when she comes up from San Antonio. :)

Shipping is not too bad because it is fairly short. Alternatively, if you give me a list of beer, I can see what I can get from a local bottle ship that is out of your distro..... If you can convince your SWMBO.

I may try to ship a box, once this batch is ready...maybe make a road trip some day. SWMBO doesn't even like popping into a Wegman's or Whole Foods and grabbing some Troegs stuff. Tonight, I'm trying to finish my stout comparison. I may have enough stamina for something after that...we'll see.

Nursing an Evil Twin Imperial Biscotti Break.
Had a bunch of my citrusy strawberry blondes with mt daughter's t-ball coach, then hb pale ale, then a Pere Jacques (just cus it's my last name and what my kids call my dad), and now onto the Evil Twin.

1402194382397.jpg

1402194396307.jpg

1402194412744.jpg

Whelp, my plans for the evening are shot. Time to salvage it with a half growler of Midnight Oil and as much Back in the Saddle IPA as I can drink before I pass out or the keg kicks. This will do nicely to start.

1402194954844.jpg

I may try to ship a box, once this batch is ready...maybe make a road trip some day. SWMBO doesn't even like popping into a Wegman's or Whole Foods and grabbing some Troegs stuff. Tonight, I'm trying to finish my stout comparison. I may have enough stamina for something after that...we'll see.

Let me know. There might be a swmbo trip near your neck of the woods...... She mules when I ask.

On another note..... Who the @*! packages a barleywine in a bomber?

Pretty good English bw; Liberation courtesy of JWarener63 (I think).

1402198276128.jpg

Let me know. There might be a swmbo trip near your neck of the woods...... She mules when I ask.

On another note..... Who the @*! packages a barleywine in a bomber?

Pretty good English bw; Liberation courtesy of JWarener63 (I think).

Wow, a more accommodating SWMBO! Anytime in the area, I can arrange to swap some hb! Summer brew won't go into bottles until around Wednesday, though. BTW, I picked up a bomber of barley wine from somewhere in Lancaster, PA a couple of months ago...it was either Appalachian Brewing Co. or Lancaster Brewery. Anyway, I hid
it in a closet to age.

Back