What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Water water water.

Waiting for this BCS title game to get underway.

the wind chill we had this morning was below -50F. my %!^# is colder than your %!^#

I'm sure it is. :D
If it got that cold here I would have a different job than the one I currently have. Pressure washing and cleaning windows do not mix well with sub zero temps. But teens, twenties, not that big of a deal.

7y4yjysu.jpg

A little Belgian-Style Saison from Prairie. I have always been a stout guy, but I can't get enough Saison in my life.

Bottled a Belgian Strong Dark today...now the wait. Popped a dry stout HB, bottled on 12/09/13. Getting good...and makes a kick-ass braise for country style pork ribs!

IMAG2317.jpg

IMAG2320.jpg

How is that one? I just bought one over the holidays and put it in the cellar, should I drink it sooner or later?

It's great! It doesn't have that overpowering hoppy taste like a lot of American Saisons do. I bought it and drank it within two days. I am currently aging some Prairie Noir though, after a buddy recommended I do so.

So you used two more gallons than needed or less? That's a lot

My pre boil volume was over 2 gallons less.
I looked at the grain when I was done and nothing was dry or clumped. I was getting good flow with the first runnings then after I did my batch sparge. Water amounts were right each time according to Beer Smith as well as the general 1.25 quarts to pounds of grain (I had 13 lbs). I mashed with 4 gallons of water then my sparge water was actually 4.25 gallons. I ended up with 4 gallons of wort and 5 gallons pre-boil.

Even though I ****ed up the temp, I cannot imagine that would have resulted in smaller pre-boil volume. I'm confused and as I sat at work all day thinking about it, I got more annoyed and started to doubt moving to all grain. Sorry for the ramble. I have a thread on my f'ed up mash temp but that doesn't seem to have anything to do with the other issues. Who knows ... I'm just going to drink. :D

Keep asking your places. They get distributed at different times. Massachusetts had it three weeks ago. We just got it today

I'm going to do some investigating. Even though those kinds of releases hardly ever see time on the shelf here, I doubt I completely missed their release.

My pre boil volume was over 2 gallons less.
I looked at the grain when I was done and nothing was dry or clumped. I was getting good flow with the first runnings then after I did my batch sparge. Water amounts were right each time according to Beer Smith as well as the general 1.25 quarts to pounds of grain (I had 13 lbs). I mashed with 4 gallons of water then my sparge water was actually 4.25 gallons. I ended up with 4 gallons of wort and 5 gallons pre-boil.

Even though I ****ed up the temp, I cannot imagine that would have resulted in smaller pre-boil volume. I'm confused and as I sat at work all day thinking about it, I got more annoyed and started to doubt moving to all grain. Sorry for the ramble. I have a thread on my f'ed up mash temp but that doesn't seem to have anything to do with the other issues. Who knows ... I'm just going to drink. :D

How much off on temp? That's weird. The grain might soaked more water water than normal or miss measured. I have my numbers but I'm loosely depended on it. I do all grain and never missed by that much.

Still sipping on the yeti and poured a small pour of Ranger Creek .44 rye whiskey. Yummy and last of the night

I am drinking my hard cider mixed with 'Junior Johnson's Midnight Moon Apple Pie'. There doesn't appear to be a shame emoticon, or I'd use it.

On the bright side the brett I bottled the cider with, or something from the spontaneous fermentation, appears to be making some CO2. CO2 hasn't dissolved and it is still pretty flat, but as long as I don't mix it with anymore terrible schnappshine, it could be pretty decent.

I'm also trying to make applejack on the porch.

Just sampled my saison again, gravity is at 1.004. It is tasting a bit thin, but that could be because it is warm and flat. Drinking a HB porter now.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

Edited multiple times because of misspellings on my phone.

Also: I know at 1.004 I should expect thin, but I had hoped WY3711 would give a fuller body even at that FG.

Back