What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Remmys coconut porter. Nice job on this man. I am enjoying it.

image-397652069.jpg

An aged tweaked version of Revvys ketucky common. Delicious and my hoppier/subbed version held up a nice aroma as well. I think its a pretty nice recipe to play around with for something different as far as styles. Tastey flavorfull yet somewhat sessionable, mine was a bit more flavorful and a little less sessionable probably and a bit stronger. Using some crystal 60 and carawheat in place of 120 crystal (didnt have any) and using some galena hops did this well. As well as some harvested yeast slurry from a juniper ale(or ginger beer-not shure which exactly) previously which I swear picked up some of that character.

Quite possibly my favorite Mel Brooks movie. It's between that and Blazing Saddles.

I love all. Young Frankenstein, history, high anxiety, robin hood men in tights, blazin saddles, space balls, etc. All awsome.

Love history kf the world pt 1. It is an awesome movie and its over before you know it. So great.

Oh Piss-Boy!

Still one of my favorite movie quotes. The other is when Paul Reubens character in Cheech and Chongs Next Movie goes "I'm sorry, I'm sorry.... I'm NOT Sorry!"

My first mead was called "its good to be the mead" lol

De Mo NAY

Count de money! Lol another funny man.

Making a note to PM you tomorrow, I'm sure we can work something out. Maybe meet up for lunch or something too. My office is near south congress and riverside.

I am at 541. I may have a problem.

So you are drinking carbonated prune juice + kraken?
Not really.

Here's the recipe, more or less. No juice in this version. I used a syrup I made from the same juice instead for the juice and sugar additions.

1/2 cup black cherry juice. Just Black Cherry, R.W. Knudsen Family brand.
2 quarts filtered water.
1 cup granulated sugar.
2 tsp molasses. Grandma's original, unsulphured.
1/4 tsp rum flavoring.
1/2 cup lemon juice.
2 tsp vanilla extract.
1/4 tsp almond extract.

It's still a work in progress. I've got wine tannin shipping to try to bump the astringency, and MrFoodScientist suggested gentian root. Tasting it with the rum is nice. I think the proportion there is to low, probably 1tsp is closer to correct. The almond extract is also probably unnecessary. I'm not looking for a dead ringer, just something nice with some similarity.

Not really.

Here's the recipe, more or less. No juice in this version. I used a syrup I made from the same juice instead for the juice and sugar additions.

1/2 cup black cherry juice. Just Black Cherry, R.W. Knudsen Family brand.
2 quarts filtered water.
1 cup granulated sugar.
2 tsp molasses. Grandma's original, unsulphured.
1/4 tsp rum flavoring.
1/2 cup lemon juice.
2 tsp vanilla extract.
1/4 tsp almond extract.

It's still a work in progress. I've got wine tannin shipping to try to bump the astringency, and MrFoodScientist suggested gentian root. Tasting it with the rum is nice. I think the proportion there is to low, probably 1tsp is probably closer to correct. The almond extract is also probably unnecessary. I'm not looking for a dead ringer, just something nice with some similarity.

Looks like a good start though I really need to get into soda making as well. I want to set up a dedicated soda tap as well. Let me know if you get it right.

Making a note to PM you tomorrow, I'm sure we can work something out. Maybe meet up for lunch or something too. My office is near south congress and riverside.

Let me know. We can work something out.

This is my main use for the ranger creek.

My use for ranger creek is straight lol. That'll be good too

Next stop. Came here for the Hops & Grain Funk del Roble, but they're out. Argh. Firestone Velvet Merlin instead.

Can't fit the whole tap wall in the pic :mug:

image-393789736.jpg

I wouldn't know. :mad: Stupid brother having his wedding in November instead of October when I maybe could've gotten some Pumpkinator.

Hey if you can make some time. Ill have a '12 and '13 we can share and enjoy (with wes too ;)). All beer geeks in houston are hoarders. Thats is a fact. Hope I can find some breakfast stout.

DisturbdChemist said:
Hey if you can make some time. Ill have a '12 and '13 we can share and enjoy (with wes too ;)). All beer geeks in houston are hoarders. Thats is a fact. Hope I can find some breakfast stout.

I can bring you breakfast stout.

Edit: drinking Guadalupe Scotch Ale. Thick, some banana, oak and clove. It's a sipper. Tasty tho.

TNGabe said:
That's like saying it's better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick...

I think I have finally realized I don't like pumpkin beers that much anymore. I thought it was just certain examples earlier this season, but I've given up after warlock and others recently. Evolving palate I suppose.

DisturbdChemist said:
Is should find some if its available like rueabus. I can still find some. It just got down here and hope I come across it

Thought I saw my in for some JK sour and I pounced, haha. Think and let me know if there's something from my region you'd be interested in. We'll be on touch.

Still sipping this Guadalupe Scotch Ale. Moving on after this.

That's like saying it's better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick...

I've never really understood this saying. If it's better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick, that's a good thing, right? I understand the intent, but there's no point of reference built into the saying to indicate that what you're talking about is only slightly better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

Anyway, I pity your hate of pumpkin beers. Must be an awful existence, especially this time of year. ;)

Thought I saw my in for some JK sour and I pounced, haha. Think and let me know if there's something from my region you'd be interested in. We'll be on touch.

Still sipping this Guadalupe Scotch Ale. Moving on after this.

ill let you know. Hopefully ill find some friday but ill search what you have to offer also you can let me know what others you have. If its close to $4$ im fine.

Holy fvckin' $hit. This is some good chit. I'd take this over Pumking any day.

20131016_220200 by aaron.j.lott, on Flickr

I may have to pull one of those out and crack it open soon! I've kinda made a point to not crack them open till I get Mark's package sent out to him. Got the beer, now I just need to package it and ship! I promise Mark! It's on it's way soon!:ban:

I think I have finally realized I don't like pumpkin beers that much anymore. I thought it was just certain examples earlier this season, but I've given up after warlock and others recently. Evolving palate I suppose.

You say that like it's an unrefined palate that likes pumpkin beers, with which I would wholeheartedly disagree.

I've never really understood this saying. If it's better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick, that's a good thing, right? I understand the intent, but there's no point of reference built into the saying to indicate that what you're talking about is only slightly better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

Anyway, I pity your hate of pumpkin beers. Must be an awful existence, especially this time of year. ;)

Huh? Getting poked in the eye is bad, getting poked in the eye with somethine sharp is worse. So better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick is better than terrible.

I very much enjoy hating things that are terrible, especially that other people like. It makes me feel good about myself. Pumpkin beer season is great. I don't have to drink them and I get to feel superior to everyone who does. :D

Holy crap great beer day today!! New phone so bear with me lol. Was at New Holland having boots of Monkey King and Mad Hatter again. Niw having Right Brain Blue Magic. Very flowery but good. Also found a bittle shop in Holland that has Green Flash!!! Scored Le Freak

ForumRunner_20131016_234611.jpg

nukebrewer said:
You say that like it's an unrefined palate that likes pumpkin beers, with which I would wholeheartedly disagree.

Not at all. By evolving I just mean changing, not associating any positive or negative connotation with it.

I used to gobble up any pumpkin beer I could find. This year, every one I've tried has just been disappointing. But I wouldn't put down anyone else who likes them.

Back