What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TNGabe said:
??? Did you put peated malt in a saison Wes? :confused:

Why yes I did.
Actually it's an imperial smoked pumpkin 3711 Saison I brewed just for you. ;)

None of that. Golden promise, tiny amount of peat smoked malt and a couple other grains for color. EKG for bittering. WLP028
I decided to brew a session beer since most of the beers I've been brewing lately have been 8%+.

Why yes I did.
Actually it's an imperial smoked pumpkin 3711 Saison I brewed just for you. ;)

None of that. Golden promise, tiny amount of peat smoked malt and a couple other grains for color. EKG for bittering. WLP028
I decided to brew a session beer since most of the beers I've been brewing lately have been 8%+.

Jeebus, that says session. I shouldn't have opened this last beer.:drunk: I'm going to have to make a pumpkin beer that just because. It's the spices that always make them nasty. If I can get more Spanish Red sweet potatoes this weekend I'll definitely do a beer with them, but I've only got 10 lbs in the cellar right now and those will barely make it til Thanksgiving.

You try to put your finger on why it's so good, and then you realize you can't, because it's not.

If you want to watch something funny, try giving a bottle of it (or Fou'Foune, or anything else that isn't coming to mind, but it would be especially funny with Fou'Foune) to my club's president. He's a Marine, plus something about tanks, and some crazy superstition I don't understand. It's hilarious. Won't go near it.

Thats what I was gonna say. I think SF fan misunderstood me lol

TNGabe said:
Jeebus, that says session. I shouldn't have opened this last beer.:drunk: I'm going to have to make a pumpkin beer that just because. It's the spices that always make them nasty. If I can get more Spanish Red sweet potatoes this weekend I'll definitely do a beer with them, but I've only got 10 lbs in the cellar right now and those will barely make it til Thanksgiving.
I figured you misread it. :D
My third or fourth beer I made when I first started was a sweet potato beer. Everyone loved it. I need to make another one.

Thats what I was gonna say. I think SF fan misunderstood me lol

I didnt really misunderstand, but its a weird beer. I have friends that come up to me and rave about it. Its new out here in Cali. I can drink it, but I would never buy it. To me its like Fat Tire. Lots of people around here like, it, not sure why, but I am not a huge fan.

SFGiantsFan925 said:
I would love to get some of your recipes. You make some damn fine looking brews sir. :cross:

Thanks. Happy to share.

86% efficiency.
This is for 5.25 gallons after boil.
You may need to adjust accordingly for your process and efficiency.

image-507553292.jpg

image-1202038951.jpg

image-3769556378.jpg

Mash at 154F for 60 min.
Mash out at 170F
Recirculate until clear then sparge and collect about 6.25 gallons.
Boil for 60 min. Adding hops at 60 min.
Chill, pitch yeast and ferment at 65F for 3 weeks.
Bottle or keg.

I figured you misread it. :D
My third or fourth beer I made when I first started was a sweet potato beer. Everyone loved it. I need to make another one.

Spanish Reds are actual sweet potatoes. White flesh, red skin, potaotes. Not the nasty orange things from the store. Only old rednecks grow them, too fragile to mechanically harvest. Never had them before I moved here, but now one of my favorite foods. Another 5-10 years and I won't be able to get them because everyone who grows them will be dead. I'll have to start growing them, but for $1/lb, I'll buy instead as long as I can. Spanish reds and kale or mustard greens in a coconut milk curry are amazing. I love my asian/redneck fusion cuisine.

TNGabe said:
Spanish Reds are actual sweet potatoes. White flesh, red skin, potaotes. Not the nasty orange things from the store. Only old rednecks grow them, too fragile to mechanically harvest. Never had them before I moved here, but now one of my favorite foods. Another 5-10 years and I won't be able to get them because everyone who grows them will be dead. I'll have to start growing them, but for $1/lb, I'll buy instead as long as I can. Spanish reds and kale or mustard greens in a coconut milk curry are amazing. I love my asian/redneck fusion cuisine.

That sounds pretty good.

A pint of Sierra Nevada's Flipside red IPA cut 50/50 with some fresh pressed honeycrisp apple cider from the orchard down the road.

Why? Because **** it, I had half a glass of beer left and not enough cider for a full glass by itself. The stuff's actually pretty tasty and the hops balance really well with the acidity from the honeycrisp. I might have to just do this on purpose in a batch some day...

You've clearly never had Resin. And if you say you've had it, I know you're lying because that's one damn good beer.

I've had Resin, and I understand why people like it. It just doesn't do it for me like it does for other people. It's good, but I don't get excited about it.

I moved on to the Pliny. Its super fresh. Bottled 1 1/2 weeks ago. Tasty, but damn, that Blind Pig was a LOT better. The BP has way more of the "hop candy" flavor to it. Even for a super fresh Pliny, it seems muted, and not as bright. They are both great, but i would rather had another Pig over the Pliny.

I prefer Blind Pig over Pliny, too...wish I could get it in bottles over here. Philly gets Blind Pig and Pliny (elder and younger) on draft, though, so I don't have much to complain about.

I prefer Blind Pig over Pliny, too...wish I could get it in bottles over here. Philly gets Blind Pig and Pliny (elder and younger) on draft, though, so I don't have much to complain about.

I don't doubt that you get Pliny Elder on tap. I guess its possible for them to send a keg or two out your way. I have never heard of it, but its not to say its impossible. But Younger? I highly doubt it. I am lucky to see a keg 20 miles from RR brewery, more less across the country. Its available for 2 weeks a year in Feb. And they have a very select few places that get a SINGLE keg of it that sells out in about 30 minutes. So I have to call shenanigans.

As far as SP Resin goes. Its a kick ass beer. I love it. Thats why I did a trade for more. Better than a lot of stuff here in Nor Cal.

SFGiantsFan925 said:
I don't doubt that you get Pliny Elder on tap. I guess its possible for them to send a keg or two out your way. I have never heard of it, but its not to say its impossible. But Younger? I highly doubt it. I am lucky to see a keg 20 miles from RR brewery, more less across the country. Its available for 2 weeks a year in Feb. And they have a very select few places that get a SINGLE keg of it that sells out in about 30 minutes. So I have to call shenanigans. As far as SP Resin goes. Its a kick ass beer. I love it. Thats why I did a trade for more. Better than a lot of stuff here in Nor Cal.

http://russianriverbrewing.com/philadelphia-distributor/

I have also read elsewhere that they distribute to Philly, but I can't recall where. It's also limited, pretty much like it is anywhere outside of Northern Cali.

I wouldnt be surprised if they get 1 keg of Younger in that whole city. I'm sure they get the Elder pretty regularly, relatively speaking.

TNGabe said:
You'll have to remind me of the problem. Turns on and won't shut off? Runs til it freezes up?
He said in the ad that it doesn't keep consistent temps. He wasn't specific about off and on, just that he keeps temperature sensitive stuff in there so couldn't use it. I asked about cost to repair and he made the claim of a possible $100-200 to fix.
I'm kind of at a loss about what to ask him next.

Hot tea now. My oldest son came home with pink eye a few days ago, and I have it now. Lucky me, now I have to take more time off than I wanted.

http://russianriverbrewing.com/philadelphia-distributor/

I have also read elsewhere that they distribute to Philly, but I can't recall where. It's also limited, pretty much like it is anywhere outside of Northern Cali.

I wouldnt be surprised if they get 1 keg of Younger in that whole city. I'm sure they get the Elder pretty regularly, relatively speaking.

You can find Elder somewhere in the city probably every other week on average. As for Younger, every Feb/Mar there's probably around 10 bars that tap a keg of it. I know Capone's, Iron Abbey, Monk's, Eulogy off the top of my head are bars that get it every year, and there's others that'll get it, too. It seemed like there was a ton of it here this year...I know Iron Abbey and a couple other places got 2 kegs of it. Philly is the only market out East that Vinny will send his stuff to. He has some kind of relationship with the owner of Origlio...the main distributor for this area.

I don't doubt that you get Pliny Elder on tap. I guess its possible for them to send a keg or two out your way. I have never heard of it, but its not to say its impossible. But Younger? I highly doubt it. I am lucky to see a keg 20 miles from RR brewery, more less across the country. Its available for 2 weeks a year in Feb. And they have a very select few places that get a SINGLE keg of it that sells out in about 30 minutes. So I have to call shenanigans.

As far as SP Resin goes. Its a kick ass beer. I love it. Thats why I did a trade for more. Better than a lot of stuff here in Nor Cal.

No shenanigans http://philly.thedrinknation.com/ar...iny-the-Younger-in-Philadelphia-2013-Edition-

And Resin is good for what it is, and, like I said, I understand why people like it. I just don't prefer a super piney DIPA to one with more tropical fruit notes. Just a personal preference thing.

He said in the ad that it doesn't keep consistent temps. He wasn't specific about off and on, just that he keeps temperature sensitive stuff in there so couldn't use it. I asked about cost to repair and he made the claim of a possible $100-200 to fix.
I'm kind of at a loss about what to ask him next.

Considering the cost of a new unit, what he's selling it for and what he claims it would cost to fix doen't' add up. I'd pass on this one and keep looking.

SFGiantsFan925 said:
Oh man! I have to keep my eye out for that stuff. Had it for the first time last year and it was incredible. How is it??

It was good love the Amarillo hops, very floral citra flavors.

Hello said:
That's pretty. :)

Oh and I'm drinking this sludge. I normally like what I juice but I added celery and turns out I hate celery when juiced. It's foul.

Thanks. I'm very happy with the color and clarity of this one.

I'm still I'm Canada doing the whole 2 funeral thing. My dad is taking care of the dogs chickens and goats for us while we're gone. He sent me this today.,

"I'm at your house, drinking your beer, smoking your stogies"

Img5579756_zps34427735.jpg

I told him to make himself at home. I assume that's my Belgian IPA, and that's a padron 7000. At least he didn't dig into the cellar, and top shelf of the humidor.

I guess maybe I shouldn't tease him with beer and cigar pictures so often

Sierra Nevada - Narwhal imperial stout. It is really good, it is so well balanced I find it hard to believe it is an imperial.

@MrNick-That last one reminds me of home,Corley WV. Made me think of John Denver...

Gotta take the 1st FG sample for my Maori IPA,2nd for Cougar Country IPA. The CCIPA is my little omage to the mountain in Corley that bares my sirname. Near the Little Kanowa River where pop fished as a boy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sierra Nevada - Narwhal imperial stout. It is really good, it is so well balanced I find it hard to believe it is an imperial.

I must have gotten a fresh batch then cuz I bought a 4-pack last sunday and was done after one of them. The alcohol was very hot and it was not balanced at all. Im letting the other three age tho and taste them a year or two from now :D

Drinking a lunch-break-sized glass of little apple brewing company Hefeweizen. Im not sure why this is one of their seasonals right now but its delicious :D

2013-10-02 13.20.06.jpg

DCHokie's Berliner.

View attachment 149951

Great example. Bready, tart, and very well balanced. Other than a little gushing (which could be from me letting it warm up too much before opening or not having chilled it that long to begin with) an excellent beer. Fantastic job Ryan!

Necro-post-reply, but I've been traveling and just saw this.

Gabe, glad you liked the Berliner and thanks for the kind words.

Latest posts

Back