What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Damage report:

Logsdon Seizoen Bretta
Prairie Puncheon
Growler of RR Blind Pig
And ample homebrew on tap.....

ForumRunner_20130825_000718.jpg

Hello and goodnight hbt!

Channel66 said:
Coffee

#hashtagsarestupid

Abuse of the once noble octothorp.

Tea here. That I haven't roasted coffee for myself since I quit roasting it for the farmers market does lend credence to my wife's theory that owning a brewery would ruin my life.

Re-listening to Basic Brewing Radio episode on canning wort.

Abuse of the once noble octothorp.

Tea here. That I haven't roasted coffee for myself since I quit roasting it for the farmers market does lend credence to my wife's theory that owning a brewery would ruin my life.

Re-listening to Basic Brewing Radio episode on canning wort.

You going to start canning for starters?

I'm considering brewing a triple today but after cleaning up last night from yesterday's monster brew I'm thinking BIAB. One vessel and no hoses to clean sounds great.

Listening to my 40 plastic gallon barrels bubbling away. I need a bigger ferm chamber, these suckers are too tall. So they get to hang out in the living room with the family

You going to start canning for starters?

I'm considering brewing a triple today but after cleaning up last night from yesterday's monster brew I'm thinking BIAB. One vessel and no hoses to clean sounds great.

Listening to my 40 plastic gallon barrels bubbling away. I need a bigger ferm chamber, these suckers are too tall. So they get to hang out in the living room with the family

That's awesome. Impressive brew day you pulled off yesterday.

I am going to can an entire 5 gallon batch of wort. My friend's canner holds 19 qts. I thought that was the total capacity until I picked it up from him and saw how big this thing is. You could cook a 40 lb turkey in this thing in under an hour I bet.

What I'm iffy on that I want to make some pints and quarts of 1.040 wort for regular starters, but I'd also like to make some pints or maybe half pints of lower grav wort for dreg collecting. I guess I can just do a whole batch of 1.040 in the jumbo and then get his smaller canner and do a BIAB batch for the little ones.

That's awesome. Impressive brew day you pulled off yesterday.

I am going to can an entire 5 gallon batch of wort. My friend's canner holds 19 qts. I thought that was the total capacity until I picked it up from him and saw how big this thing is. You could cook a 40 lb turkey in this thing in under an hour I bet.

What I'm iffy on that I want to make some pints and quarts of 1.040 wort for regular starters, but I'd also like to make some pints or maybe half pints of lower grav wort for dreg collecting. I guess I can just do a whole batch of 1.040 in the jumbo and then get his smaller canner and do a BIAB batch for the little ones.

That's nuts! Just can it all 1.040 for starters and then can some water to dilute it to 1.010-1.015 when you want to collect dregs

The real question is, why does your friend have an industrial canner? I'm jealous

I'm on the coffee. but after my 4th Mosaic Rye IPA (7%), I ended the night with my Rose Hip Saison (also 7%). water in between beers really helps a lot.

edit: and we're making our first batch of pickles today! I may need to celebrate with a tasty beverage or two!

That's nuts! Just can it all 1.040 for starters and then can some water to dilute it to 1.010-1.015 when you want to collect dregs

Yeah, I could do that, and I guess that especially coming from a lab guy I should listen, but... I really want to have sterile wort in sterile jars, be able to flame the top, add dregs, reseal, and know everything is as clean as possible. There are a few old to really, really old bottles that will get opened that I really want to try and get something from. I know it's not likely, but I'd like to be as close to clean as posisble so if/when it doesn't work, I don't blame my process.

I've got one last bottle of '05 SPEC' Stille Nacht that I really, really want to keep alive. It's a 33cl bottle and the crud in the bottom is a 2-3 cm deep at this point.

I'm also going to be there when a buddy opens a '63 Drie Fonteinen for his 50th in November and in a rare example of me being optimistic, I'm thinking it's got a couple living, mean old brett cells in there just itching for a fresh start on life!

I'm on the coffee. but after my 4th Mosaic Rye IPA (7%), I ended the night with my Rose Hip Saison (also 7%). water in between beers really helps a lot.

edit: and we're making our first batch of pickles today! I may need to celebrate with a tasty beverage or two!

'Real' fermented pickles or vinegar? Both are good. I haven't made anything feremented other than beer this year after the great garden burn out of 2012. Which reminds me, I've had a head of cabbage in the fridge for months.

'Real' fermented pickles or vinegar? Both are good. I haven't made anything feremented other than beer this year after the great garden burn out of 2012. Which reminds me, I've had a head of cabbage in the fridge for months.

vinegar. we're gonna break ourselves in slow I think.

vinegar. we're gonna break ourselves in slow I think.

It's funny you'd say that. I think most people would assume those are easier, but there isn't much easier than making fermented veggies. Salt + veggies + seasoning (optional) = pickles.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's funny you'd say that. I think most people would assume those are easier, but there isn't much easier than making fermented veggies. Salt + veggies + seasoning (optional) = pickles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYey8ntlK_E

I don't really know anything about either way. the few recipes we wanted to try is with vinegar, but now I want to try the fermented thing. (how to tell if you're a home brewer?):rockin:

Billy-Klubb said:

Try the recipe for IPA pickles. Looks super easy.

Coffee at the moment. Yesterday was non-stop running around and other than a couple of glasses of cab with dinner, was drink free. I will have to atone for that today :D

That's how you know you belong in this thread. I didn't drink at all yesterday, well other than those 2 glasses of wine, but that was with dinner. :D That's about as close as I get most days, too.

Another good sign is if you like to say 'cant drink all day unless you start I the morning.'

image-141089073.jpg

Anyone else seem find it easier to spend more on a 750 than a 22? What about cork & cage instead of cap.

Heating liqour for batch 1.

Dogfish Head Chateau Jiahu, on tap at the most awesome Hops and Pie

I really like this - ? ? ? - fermented thing, cannot really call it a "beer" as most of the fermentables are from rice and fruit.

2013-08-24 16.03.24.jpg

Split a rayon vert with a friend, maybe they've sorted out their carb problems, although this was only bottled late September.

image-2440939611.jpg

More bretty goodness, my galaxy white ipa clone.

Followed up with a St. Arnold's Icon gold, then onto lowes to look at chest freezers to start building a keezer. TGIS.
image-754078069.jpg

Back