What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I realize I'm not very smart, but how did UPS break the bottom of a 1L flip top and yet that delicate little glass is 100%?

Okay here is the reason why the bottle "failed" during shipment. This is where the classes for glass fracture analysis at the American Glass Research institute pays off I guess.

That bottle blew out by pressure failure. Not mishandling. If you look at Nizzle's picture. The piece that is located right below the main part of the bottle, to the left hand side, has a "half moon" shape to it. This is a indicator that the bottle failed at the bottom plate for pressure. This part is the piece that has a faint circle on the bottom of the bottle. It could be possible that this particular ezcap was not manufactured to specs, coupled with a above normal Co2 volumes for a saison, lead to a failure.

That freaking sucks Nizz!! I feel for your loss!

ForumRunner_20130821_163653.png

Okay here is the reason why the bottle "failed" during shipment. This is where the classes for glass fracture analysis at the American Glass Research institute pays off I guess.

That bottle blew out by pressure failure. Not mishandling. If you look at Nizzle's picture. The piece that is located right below the main part of the bottle, to the left hand side, has a "half moon" shape to it. This is a indicator that the bottle failed at the bottom plate for pressure. This part is the piece that has a faint circle on the bottom of the bottle. It could be possible that this particular ezcap was not manufactured to specs, coupled with a above normal Co2 volumes for a saison, lead to a failure.

I've had bottles blow up due to pressure and they certainly don't look in that good-of-shape.

Mark has shipped to me in the past and his packing was outstanding. But think about it, ANYTHING could've happened to that package. Only UPS knows. All it takes is one toss and that thing could've been hit in the right spot and BOOM. I'm sure it was not his fault at all. I'll blame UPS.

I, too, received a Tired Hands half-growler two weeks ago and it arrived in perfect shape.

^^^ F my last post.

I'm looking for another brew!

I've had bottles blow up due to pressure and they certainly don't look in that good-of-shape.

You're thinking bottle bomb. FermentNEthing is talking about a defective bottle, which if I'd been paying attention, is exactly what that growler looks like. Bottom sheared off, relatively clean.

Remmy said:

Mark has shipped to me in the past and his packing was outstanding. But think about it, ANYTHING could've happened to that package. Only UPS knows. All it takes is one toss and that thing could've been hit in the right spot and BOOM. I'm sure it was not his fault at all. I'll blame UPS.

I, too, received a Tired Hands half-growler two weeks ago and it arrived in perfect shape.

I heart tired hands!

Anchorage/ hill farmstead collab - arctic saison. Mmmmm dat brett

You should really get some glasses from HF or at least start asking for them as extras in trades. :D I've got one with your name on it for sure.

You're thinking bottle bomb. FermentNEthing is talking about a defective bottle, which if I'd been paying attention, is exactly what that growler looks like. Bottom sheared off, relatively clean.

Definitely a possibility.

That stinks.

I just cracked open a 2013 vintage Stauff's White Pepper Rye Saison and it is phenomenal. Even better than last year and I must say it's such a gorgeous beer. Well done, my friend! So glad I have another one. I need to make room in my fridge for another TaD bottle that I have filled with it. The wife says

borat_thumbs_up-149.jpg

20130821_192800.jpg

TNGabe said:
I realize I'm not very smart, but how did UPS break the bottom of a 1L flip top and yet that delicate little glass is 100%?

I had the glass stuffed with bubble wrap, wrapped it even more bubble wrap and then stuffed it inside an empty oatmeal container. That is what I was most worried about.

The glass is what I was most worried about :(

FermentNEthinG said:

I didn't get the impression that Berliner was highly carbed, but if the growler were defective it probably wouldn't have taken much...

InityBrew said:
Canned on monday!

I do remember it having more of a grapefruit flavor before.. Maybe different hops ?

Either way still incredible.

You were in vt on Monday and didn't tell me? Disappointed!!!

I had the glass stuffed with bubble wrap, wrapped it even more bubble wrap and then stuffed it inside an empty oatmeal container. That is what I was most worried about.

The glass is what I was most worried about :(

I didn't get the impression that Berliner was highly carbed, but if the growler were defective it probably wouldn't have taken much...

No doubt you packed it like a champ. When a bottle breaks that way, it is definitely from internal pressure, not impact. I spent too many years in a qc lab chasing breaks to know better!

If Nizzle could get the number off the bottom or side of the bottle still, I would stay away from that particular bottle # at tired hands because this defect will run consecutive among the same mould number.

Bottle nerd rant :OFF:
Beer drinking champ :ON:
:rockin:

MrNickVT said:
Will it? I can send you some pumking!!

It should be here soon if it has already been showing up on shelves on the east coast. ST is new to be distributed here, so we'll probably be a little behind on this first seasonal.

You were in vt on Monday and didn't tell me? Disappointed!!!

I wish I was.. . My buddy hooked me up. He was in Plattsburgh, NY visiting with family and he hit the Alchemist on his way home.

Also brought me some 3fs blackheart and apocalypse cow. By way of his brother in Chicago.

Work is going to suck tomorrow.

WesleyS said:
It should be here soon if it has already been showing up on shelves on the east coast. ST is new to be distributed here, so we'll probably be a little behind on this first seasonal.

I saw it at Specs downtown this past weekend

InityBrew said:
I wish I was.. . My buddy hooked me up. He was in Plattsburgh, NY visiting with family and he hit the Alchemist on his way home.

Also brought me some 3fs blackheart and apocalypse cow. By way of his brother in Chicago.

Work is going to suck tomorrow.

Okay fair enough

Just checking in to make sure you alcoholics are still functioning. All seems to be in good order. Carry on. I'm going back to my po man's beer.

Qhrumphf said:
Second double pour of my ESB. Two 12 oz bottles into a 20 oz nonic glass, a few sips to keep it from overflowing, and I can convince my wife it's only ONE beer, not TWO :mug:

Honey, it's only one beer. :D

image-3804773984.jpg

(Next to a normal sized pint glass for comparison)

Latest posts

Back