What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WesleyS said:
I bottled and planned on pasteurizing. But 2 out of the first 4 bottles I put in the pot to pasteurize blew up and I could see the other two venting out of the cap. So I pulled the plug on that plan, uncapped all the bottles to relieve the pressure, recapped and put them all in the fridge. Next time I'll stabilize the batch, keg it, and then bottle from the keg.
It's a long thread to read through, but if you haven't read much of it, there's a revised recipe in post #420. That's the one I went by.
It's pretty good, but next time I'll add more cinnamon extract.

Sweet. I started reading that thread, but got distracted by post 70-something. I still have to check out the pasteurization threads. I can't keg yet. Im still kind of excited to try this.

I miss having easy access to great lakes

ForumRunner_20130714_205303.png

I'm having some Lagunitas Undercover Investigation Shut-Down Ale. ABV 9.6%, IBU's 66.6!

I bottled and planned on pasteurizing. But 2 out of the first 4 bottles I put in the pot to pasteurize blew up and I could see the other two venting out of the cap. So I pulled the plug on that plan, uncapped all the bottles to relieve the pressure, recapped and put them all in the fridge. Next time I'll stabilize the batch, keg it, and then bottle from the keg.
It's a long thread to read through, but if you haven't read much of it, there's a revised recipe in post #420. That's the one I went by.
It's pretty good, but next time I'll add more cinnamon extract.
Yeah, cider finishes really low. I had one the other day that finished at 0.992. The last .010 drop took almost a month. I started blowing corks and ended up having to open all the bottles to relieve the pressure. That was a mess. That's one reason why I prefer to bottle still and pasteurize immediately after bottling.

If it hadn't occured to you already, you might want to try a little tiny bit of nutmeg and clove in with the cinnamon. You won't taste them exactly, the cinnamon will just seem to be more complex.

I am drinking diet creme soda... I got drunk last night and I don't like doing that two nights in a row.

Leadgolem said:
Yeah, cider finishes really low. I had one the other day that finished at 0.992. The last .010 drop took almost a month. I started blowing corks and ended up having to open all the bottles to relieve the pressure. That was a mess. That's one reason why I prefer to bottle still and pasteurize immediately after bottling.

If it hadn't occured to you already, you might want to try a little tiny bit of nutmeg and clove in with the cinnamon. You won't taste them exactly, the cinnamon will just seem to be more complex.

I am drinking diet creme soda... I got drunk last night and I don't like doing that two nights in a row.

Yeah, mine finished low and dropped completely clear before I bottled it. The problem comes in when you back sweeten and have to catch it right when it's carbonated just enough and then pasteurize. I think I was probably a day or two late on pasteurizing even though my plastic tester bottles seemed just right when I decided it was time. But I probably won't be trying that method again. Next time I'll make sure I have an empty keg ready and just carbonate it that way, then bottle from the keg if I want some in bottles.

The clove and nutmeg idea sounds good. I might have to try that next time.

Coffee, lots of water and coffee today.

Here's some numbers, I like numbers

93 degrees
14 hours on the river
6 barges,
28 people,
34 eagle sightings,
3 stripers landed on my boat,
2 full kegs of my beer afloat between the boats,
5 other coolers filled with craft to bmc
43 miles of river covered
24 miles of which with all boats and cooler rafts tethered together
1.2 ft the minimum depth we found out my boat can still motor with 4 people on it,
3 rope swings,
2 buoys stood atop (multiple failed attempts),
196030000000 gallons of water drunkingly calculated in merrymeeting bay
1 seal,
1 boat of strangers who joined us for half the trip
1 international tanker dry docked at bath iron works.
12 towns,
3 on the water taverns with dock service visited,
1 major sun burn,
1 major buzz
1 minor hangover.

Good day yesterday.

93 degrees
14 hours on the river
6 barges,
28 people,
34 eagle sightings,
1.2 ft the minimum depth we found out my boat can still motor with 4 people on it,
3 rope swings,
1 seal,
12 towns,
1 major sun burn,
1 major buzz
1 minor hangover.

Good day yesterday.

No Loons?

93 degrees
14 hours on the river
6 barges,
28 people,
34 eagle sightings,
3 rope swings,
1 seal,
12 towns,
1 major sun burn,
1 major buzz
1 minor hangover.

Good day yesterday.

Sounds like a good day.

Channel66 said:

93 degrees
14 hours on the river
6 barges,
28 people,
34 eagle sightings,
3 rope swings,
1 seal,
12 towns,
1 major sun burn,
1 major buzz
1 minor hangover.

Good day yesterday.

I think I saw a movie like this once!

I haven't had skeeter pee yet. All the flavors you post make me want to attempt this.

Screw it. Where do you live? I want a batch!

Michigan! Bring some local beers with you! :mug: Skeeter Pee is a fairly quick and great drink with a 10.46% kick. You should try it, definately perfect to keep in the pipeline all summer long.

Fuzzymittenbrewing said:
Michigan! Bring some local beers with you! :mug: Skeeter Pee is a fairly quick and great drink with a 10.46% kick. You should try it, definately perfect to keep in the pipeline all summer long.

I want to give this a shot. I have a feeling I am going to get hammered on a consistent basis from this. And I will likely have to make 3 batches at once so I can keep up with my body's demand for it!

Coors light it's a sad day someone out bid me on the house I was looking at :-( so im back on the hunt while the Beer Can Chicken cooks.

NIZZLE said:
Coors light it's a sad day someone out bid me on the house I was looking at :-( so im back on the hunt while the Beer Can Chicken cooks.

That's a shame, for rizzle! ;)
I hope everything works out in the end, though.
I remember the days of disappointment when we were house hunting.
What's funny is we finally found one we really liked, bought it, and now, years later, I hate it.

Life has a funny way of working out, maybe the inspection would have brought up some problems or you'll find something with better heat. :)

Saison here, trying to button up 2nd brew today and finish bottling one.

water. I feel downright horrible. our youngest has had a cough & runny nose since we got back from vacation. now my sinuses are killing me, got a headache, and I feel like I used a 1" 48x96 T1 plate for a blanket last night.

Life has a funny way of working out, maybe the inspection would have brought up some problems or you'll find something with better heat. :)

Saison here, trying to button up 2nd brew today and finish bottling one.

Ya I'm not to upset I was not looking forward to propane.

NIZZLE said:

Best of luck on the next one Nizzle - sucks to lose one you want, but there are still a lot of houses out there.

Back