What are these white clumpy particles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evanfritts

Reaction score
IMG_3178.jpeg
hello all, I am new to homebrew and just noticed these white clumpy floating particles in my fermenting beer. I pitched my yeast around a week ago, and gravity reading is currently 1.010. What might these particles be?

You are talking about the big things that look like someone was just learning how to make poached eggs and they haven't quite got it correct yet?

Is the jar sealed with a airlock on it or are you just covering it with the towel?

You do get kudo's for giving the current SG!

Just to continue some thoughts....

I sometimes put some wort in my FV that is pretty laden with suspended proteins and stuff from the mash and hops added during the boil. And if I add up what's floating and on the bottom, that would be about right for how much was on the bottom of my FV.

But everything doesn't always go to the bottom right away. Might take a week or two longer.

That's not to say it isn't an infection. But I've had similar but smaller floating for a time in my FV that did go to the bottom eventually.

If it is an infection, I'd expect your SG to go down almost 1.000 SG. If 1.010 is your predicted FG, then see if it stays there over the next few days. Beer is almost fully fermented soon after the krausen is gone completely. We keep it in the FV longer just to let it clean up and clear up. Yeast are still working even though they aren't making any more alcohol or CO2.

Few infections are poisonous. The stuff in the middle is what you want. So just give it at least the full two weeks if not another. Maybe that'll be on the bottom and your beer clear and sparkly!

You are talking about the big things that look like someone was just learning how to make poached eggs and they haven't quite got it correct yet?

Is the jar sealed with a airlock on it or are you just covering it with the towel?

You do get kudo's for giving the current SG!
Just to continue some thoughts....

I sometimes put some wort in my FV that is pretty laden with suspended proteins and stuff from the mash and hops added during the boil. And if I add up what's floating and on the bottom, that would be about right for how much was on the bottom of my FV.

But everything doesn't always go to the bottom right away. Might take a week or two longer.

That's not to say it isn't an infection. But I've had similar but smaller floating for a time in my FV that did go to the bottom eventually.

If it is an infection, I'd expect your SG to go down almost 1.000 SG. If 1.010 is your predicted FG, then see if it stays there over the next few days. Beer is almost fully fermented soon after the krausen is gone completely. We keep it in the FV longer just to let it clean up and clear up. Yeast are still working even though they aren't making any more alcohol or CO2.

Few infections are poisonous. The stuff in the middle is what you want. So just give it at least the full two weeks if not another. Maybe that'll be on the bottom and your beer clear and sparkly!
Thanks for the tips! It’s in a sealed container with an airlock on top. I wrapped it in the towel to protect from sunlight. I’ll give it a few more weeks in the FV!

I have no idea what that is, but I have to say that it doesn't look good. When did the blobs appear? Are they getting bigger? Have you sniffed the airlock?

I believe that is the alien thing from the movie Nope. =c)

I'm going with proteins. I've never seen them clump together quite like that, but I've seen them clump in similar big white clouds. I suspect they congealed together under the krausen and just haven't fallen yet.

It doesn't look like an infection to me. Much more like something leftover from the boil.

Looks like it, clumped proteins and such.
What's the actual volume of that beer?

Let it be another week at room temps to make sure it finishes out.
What temp did you ferment at?
What yeast did you use?
The volume of the beer is roughly 2/3 of a gallon (I’m trying to make small batches before a larger one). I used Saflager W-34/70 and fermented it at 68 F.

This is why I have never fermented beer in anything that I can see through; I don’t want to know what’s going on in there for me to get all concerned about. Now that I’ve been doing closed transfers, I don’t see the beer until I draw the first mug! If I make a batch of skunky beer, my taste buds will let me know. It did happen once. 🤷🏼‍♂️

This is why I have never fermented beer in anything that I can see through; I don’t want to know what’s going on in there for me to get all concerned about. Now that I’ve been doing closed transfers, I don’t see the beer until I draw the first mug! If I make a batch of skunky beer, my taste buds will let me know. It did happen once. 🤷🏼‍♂️
I feel bad for you. =c)

I love fermenting in clear containers and watching the different stages of fermentation. Fermenting in SS/non-clear container seems totally boring to me.

I feel bad for you. =c)

No worries; I get plenty of pleasure just watching the bubbler action. 😁

I use my glass carboys for wine, and I just never got around to trying a batch of beer in glass. I would try it, and I know it’s possible, but closed transfers would be a little more complicated/risky.

No worries; I get plenty of pleasure just watching the bubbler action. 😁

I use my glass carboys for wine, and I just never got around to trying a batch of beer in glass. I would try it, and I know it’s possible, but closed transfers would be a little more complicated/risky.
I use fermzilla all-rounders. They're great, and perfect for spunding and closed fransfers. And super easy to clean.

Here's a video of the active fermentation...

Back