What are the pros/cons of this kegging setup?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

linusstick

Reaction score
Check this out
This eliminates all the kegging issues I have. I have a keg. I don't want to drill holes in any of my fridges. I don't want to worry about running lines. What am I missing with this?

What issues do you have that this setup will resolve?

I have a keezer and I did not drill any holes in it for my corny kegs.

My initial reaction is:
You will have to prime with sugar since the CO2 cartridges will not be a good choice to carb the beer.
This is not expandable (stand alone for each keg) so if you wanted to add more kegs you will double the number of cartridges that you would use.

If you like this idea I would recommend a Party Pig since it is the same thing and even more portable.

You still need a C02 tank and hose to carb the beer. You wont carb it with the small c02 things on there. Or if you carb it with sugar youll be replacing the small c02 cartriges alot. It would work in a upright fridge, but would be a pain in a chest freezer.

What issues do you have that this setup will resolve?

I have a keezer and I did not drill any holes in it for my corny kegs.

My initial reaction is:
You will have to prime with sugar since the CO2 cartridges will not be a good choice to carb the beer.
This is not expandable (stand alone for each keg) so if you wanted to add more kegs you will double the number of cartridges that you would use.

If you like this idea I would recommend a Party Pig since it is the same thing and even more portable.
I have 2 fridges at home, but I don't want to drill holes in any of them. I also don't want to spend the money for a keggerator. I don't know what a keezer is, though. If it's not something I am going to spend $300+ on I'd be greatly interested! I'm searching Party Pig now while I wait to hear back from you

Carbing 5 gallons with those little CO2 chargers is going to get real old, real fast. The cartridges will also become useless before they are completely used up due to the pressure equalizing between the keg and the cartridge, so you're paying for CO2 you aren't using.

Also I don't have experience putting a perlick tap that close to the beverage out post, but you will probably get foaming issues without the proper length of vinyl hose.

If I filtered my beer I could see using one of those to take my keg to friends' houses. But I would HATE making 100 runs to the LHBS in the course of a normal afternoon when my tiny CO2 cartridge runs out yet again.

Honestly the most basic keg system that you will be happy with will consist of the following:

* CO2 tank
* Primary regulator (preferably dual-gauge so you can see when you are running low on gas)
* Gas valves (technically optional, but extremely useful)
* Gas tubing and hose clamps
* Gas disconnect coupler
* Gas disconnect
* Flared nylon washer for the gas disconnect coupler
* Corny keg
* Beer disconnect
* Beer disconnect coupler
* Beer line and hose clamps
* Picnic tap
* Keg lube and replacement O-rings

You can get another fridge like I did on craigslist for free and drill a hole in that

I would go party pig before going with this system

I did not drill when I started. I used the CO2 tank, like usual, and hooked it up to the kegs every now and then to top up the carbonation. A little more work but much better than the little CO2 canisters.

B

Check this out
This eliminates all the kegging issues I have. I have a keg. I don't want to drill holes in any of my fridges. I don't want to worry about running lines. What am I missing with this?
OK...I didn't realize after reading all your posts that it included little CO2 canisters. I am getting a 5lb tank for this setup and I have no room for another fridge

-Dude - save yourself a headache and just keep your kegs in the fridge on a legit regulator like this (assuming you want 2 kegs on tap): http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?cPath=178_40_271_275_272&products_id=2363

-A 5lb CO2 tank.

-And get a picnic tap like this: http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?cPath=178_40_271_129_371&products_id=1271

I have a buddy that is in the same boat. He is over bottling, wants to keg, and doesn't want to roach out a fridge by drilling through it and he did this. He is super happy with the set up and didn't "ruin" a fridge.

FYI - A keezer is a deep freezer with a temperature controller that basically turns it into a glorified fridge (with the ability to control the temp to the exact degree).

I can understand not wanting to drill holes in your refrigerator as I'm the same way. Buy a dual keg kit setup with party taps from one of the many vendors. It's what I'm using for now until I get ready to build a keezer or a walk-in cooler for my garage.

I recommend Kegconnection and Austin Homebrew wholeheartedly. I'm always buying something from one or the other almost every week.

http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=324

+1 for "traditional" setup with party taps. The wife won't allow for holes in a spare fridge, but this setup allows me to keg (and carb and serve) normally with the only difference being that I have to open the fridge door to get a beer which would have to be done with the proposed system anyway; only with party taps, my lazy butt doesn't have to bend over to dispense a beer.

Also, I got my equipment from kegconnection and just learned they are planning on raising prices shortly.

I have 2 fridges at home, but I don't want to drill holes in any of them. I also don't want to spend the money for a keggerator. I don't know what a keezer is, though. If it's not something I am going to spend $300+ on I'd be greatly interested! I'm searching Party Pig now while I wait to hear back from you

So if you are trying to keep costs down and not drill holes in existing fridges I would go with a something like this:

http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=463

This is a single keg setup with a 5# bottle for $160. This has picnic taps just like I have and so there is no drilling. That 5# bottle will last you quite a while and if you want to add kegs you just need to add a manifold.

I looked into Party Pigs before I went with a 'traditional' keg setup but, with the Party Pig you have to purchase the pouches which seemed to be a little more hassle than a CO2 bottle.

Back