What are the odds?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badhabit

Reaction score
I had about 25 vials of washed yeast in my refrigerator when it stopped cooling below about 48/50 F. The yeast was that way for about a week and I have not ever opened the vials durring or since. What are the chances I have a big problem? I have been afraid to try using any up to this point.

My guess is they are perfectly fine and I will assume that you make starters so that will ensure they take off for you :)

At this point my plan is to start 48 hours ahead (I usally go 24) and make a starter. If the starter takes off well I will call it good if it seems sluggish or slow I will step up the starter the second 24......I will also make sure that I have S-04 on hand just in case.

It gets a lot hotter than 50 when it's shipped in the mail. The yeast will be biologically fine up to at least 100 degrees, although it tends not to make very good beer at those temps.

It gets a lot hotter than 50 when it's shipped in the mail. The yeast will be biologically fine up to at least 100 degrees, although it tends not to make very good beer at those temps.

Excellent point. Hotter and just as long in the heat. Guess I'll just quit obsessing about it!:ban:

Just as a follow up and a bit of encouragement for those who worry about such things. I used a vial of the subject yeast a couple weeks ago, made a 1L starter and stepped up a second day, 48 hours in all and ended up with an excellent ferment. It took 24 hours to take off, so a little slow on the start but then had 5 days of very active fermentation, had a blow off on the fermenter durring that time. All is well and at least for me a good lesson in how tough all those little yeasties are.

The original yeast might not have been in ideal shape, but when you make a starter, they tend to produce healthy offspring that greatly outnumber the originals, many of which will die off anyway.

Latest posts

Back