What are some liquor cabinet staples?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hifidelity

Reaction score
I'm not a liquor drinker and know very little about them, but I'd like to keep a cabinet stocked with some quality liquors to offer guests. What varieties and labels would you consider staples of a respectable home liquor cabinet?

Thanks in advance!

3/8" half crown but it really depends on which parts are coming off.

Wait, what?

I am not a big liquor fan but, I always keep 2 varieties of rum on hand. 1 for mixing, usually Bacardi, and 1 for sipping of which I always get something new to me. Same goes for Tequila, something cheap for mixing and another for sipping. Beyond that I usually have some Disaronno, Khalua, the elephant one (can't recall the name right now), and Gin.

12 year Glenfiddich Scotch Whiskey. It's about 30$ a bottle, and while it won't impress a true scotch fan, it's a nice scotch to have on hand that you don't mind if someone enjoys. Glenlivet is an alternative, usually 2-3$ more a bottle. In comparison, the 18 year Glenfiddich is $75-80 a bottle. It's one of my favorites, but I only buy it occasionally. Scotch can really get out of hand, Johnny Walker Blue is $300+.

Belvedere Vodka. My personal favorite vodka. I prefer it to Grey Goose. I enjoy it on the rocks or in a Martini. If you don't want to spend the $30, Stolichnaya is my go-to when I'm not feeling like $12-14 for a Martini. Ketel One is also a decent choice. I personally don't like Smirnoff, Skyy, or Absolut.

Tequila is a very debatable category. It mostly depends on your use. If you're going to throw it in a margartia, you can make just about any silver work. A nicer silver will make a smoother, better tasting drink. 1800 and Patron are a decent choice. My favorite is Don Julio, but it's about $40-45. Just a tidbit about Tequila, Gold has been aged in the barrel which is what colors it. Silver hasn't, which is why it can be more neutral tasting.

I'm not a bourbon guy, so someone else will have to help you out. I've enjoyed Woodford Reserve before, but plenty of my bourbon drinking friends enjoy Makers Mark, Woodford Reserve, Jack Daniels Single Barrel, and several others.

At the end of the day it depends if you want to have liquors straight/on the rocks or mixed. I'd recommend going middle of the line (1800, Stoli, Glenfiddich, etc) so it can be used for either without costing you a ton. In my opinion, if someone sticks their nose up, or isn't grateful for any of that selection, they should bring their own.

Woodford is a decent choice, I like Knob creek because it is a little bit smokier, but both are good, and won't break the bank.

It also wouldn't help to have some bitters on hand for making slightly more complicated drinks. You'll only use 2-3 splashes per drink, so it lasts a long time and should be around 10 bucks. I use Agnostura, but there are a ton of varieties out there. Vermouth could also be useful for martini's (dry) and manhattans (sweet).

In general having a mixer level alchol and a sipping level for each basic type is the way to go. Sobieski is really cheap for the quality and you could never tell once mixed.

Ron Zaya Gran Reserva is a nice 12 yr aged sipping Rum that comes off really sweet. It makes an interesting Manhattan and old fashioned in place bourbon.

Tequila is a very debatable category. It mostly depends on your use. If you're going to throw it in a margartia, you can make just about any silver work. A nicer silver will make a smoother, better tasting drink. 1800 and Patron are a decent choice. My favorite is Don Julio, but it's about $40-45. Just a tidbit about Tequila, Gold has been aged in the barrel which is what colors it. Silver hasn't, which is why it can be more neutral tasting.

I really enjoy tequila, so that's where I'll throw in my two cents.

Patron is swill and is not worth your money. 1800 is much better and is a solid mid-range $30-$40 choice. Pick the gold over the silver if you can. For cheap margaritas, I recommend Honoritos, but I agree any cheap silver will work. In my opinion, it isn't worth it to shell out for a nicer silver to make a better margarita. While 1800 silver, for example, will make a nicer margarita, you're better off shelling out a few dollars more to get 1800 gold and then sipping it straight. SWMBO's friends from college will not be able to tell the difference between the Honoritos and 1800 margaritas. At $40-$50, Tres Generaciones is also very good, and then over $60, Herradura is excellent. I have yet to try a tequila I like better.

I like the general advice on stocking a liquor cabinet - buy a some cheap options for mixers, and then snag a couple of mid-tier liquors for sipping. I don't think you need to have a mid-tier option of everything, but two or three bottles in that tier would be really good. Now put on your smoking jacket and impress your friends.

Seagrams 7 Crown is a versatile mixing whiskey.
I'd add Flor de caña rum to the list. Get the 4 year($18-20) if you just want something a step up from Bacardi gold. There's an 8 year as well.
If you want something top shelf Ron Zacapa Centenario is good. A 23 year old rum for around $40. Even Bacardi 8 is a good step up for not much more, ($20-22).

I'd suggest Seagrams gin if you're being cheap(I like it). Hendrick's is an amazing gin but it's expensive at ~$30 for 500mL. Other than that I prefer Tanqueray or Bombay sapphire.

You can make your own Coffee Liqueur so no need to get Kahlua or Tia maria. Just buy the bigger bottle of Vodka and follow one of the many recipes out there. Having a bottle of orange liqueur on hand would be another good addition.

What to put in a bar really depends on what drinks you plan on making. Being able to make classic drinks like martini's, Liquor & tonic, and Liquor & coke will probably keep most guests happy.

For me...Tito's Vodka, A nice white rum...I still buy Bacardi which isn't top shelf I don't think, 1800 tequila, and I have some woodford's on hand.

I like having either Crown Royal or Makers Mark for whisky. Kraken or a different dark rum and then Jose and Smirnoff. Most of my friends drink either mixed drinks or whisky waters

For me, you would need to have a minimum of: whiskey, vodka, rum, gin, brandy, and tequila. I have my own brand preferences, as I'm sure everyone else does, and I usually have at least three bottles of whiskey, but that's all up to your tastes. If you really want to get serious about it, you'll need to get a lot more than that (in particular, you'd need a lot of liqueurs such as triple sec/white curacao, etc.), but I find those to be the main essentials.

I try to keep a mixing-quality and a "fine by itself" quality bottle of most liquors.

Bourbon - This is one area where I keep a bigger selection, but Beam or Maker's for mixing and Woodford for sipping are a good start.
Gin - I don't get in the mood for gin too much, but I have Gilbey's for mixing and Bombay Sapphire for martinis and stuff where I want to taste it.
Rum - Bacardi Silver and Captain Morgan are fine for mixing. Kraken for when a stronger flavor is needed. Appleton Estate for sipping.
Scotch - I'm a fan of Laphroaig, even though a lot of people think it tastes like a campfire.
Tequila - 1800 is pretty versatile without being too expensive. Don Julio is more expensive, but again has a nice smoky flavor I enjoy.
Vodka - Usually Stoli or Tito's, then some cheap stuff (Heaven Hill ATM) for putting in the airlock and such.

And then of course, the odds & ends and mixers: Bailey's, Kahlua, triple sec, amaretto, sweet/dry vermouth, bitters.

I like to have a variety of liquor available in my bar, in case I get creative.

Rum - great for Dark & Stormy, rum & coke, tons of other drinks
White - Tortuga (cheap, banana esters)
Dark - Gosling's or Meyer's
Spiced - Kraken (not a fan of spiced rum personally but I get requests for this over Captain)

Vodka - martinis etc. Not a huge fan personally
Straight - Grey Goose
Mixing - Stolichnaya
Flavored - none standard, currently have vanilla Stoli for chocolate martinis

Tequila - love tequila. Especially Herradurra with Sangrita. Look it up. Seriously. (Recipe 1) (Recipe 2)
Blanco - Don Julio
Reposado - Herradurra
Anejo - none currently, I like Herradurra also

Gin - only rarely do I get an urge, but family enjoys it
Mixing - Tanqueray
Sipping - Hendrick's (I like this botanical blend)

Whisky - big fan of whisky/whiskey. I tend to have quite a bit
Single Malt Scotch - Highland Park 12 (slight smoke and sherry, more complex than Glenlivet but still approachable), Glenlivet (solid affordable single malt)
Blended Scotch - Johnny Walker Black
Canadian Whiskey - Canadian Club (family's choice for blending)
Bourbon - Bulleit (great for mixing), Woodford Reserve, Basil Hayden (both great for sipping. Basil has more spiciness from rye in the grain bill)
Tennessee - Jack Daniels Black label (a staple for any bar), Jack Daniels Green label (in memory of my Papa - his favorite)
Rye - Sazerac (great for cocktails)

Liqueurs & more
Vermouth - dry & sweet (if you can find Carpano Antiqua sweet vermouth, get it. Pricey but delicious)
Kahlua
Bailey's
Cointreau
Gran Marnier
Frangelico
Godiva dark chocolate liqueur

That should cover the basic and intermediates that you could need!

You'll definitely see more whiskey at my place than anything else. Obviously I'm a massive bourbon fan

Whiskey: 1 ice cube
WL Weller
Woodford Reserve
Stetson
Willett
Four Roses Small Batch
Bulleit
Very Old Barton bottled in bond
Old Grandad Bonded
Basil Hayden's
Eagle Rare
Old Forester signature.
Maker's 46
Pappy Van Winkle 20 (if you want to impress) the weller is the same mash bill
Booker's or Blanton's if I don't mind spending the $

I don't even mix my Barton. Beam and Evan Williams if you want a mixer. Beam Rye if you want a Manhattan.

You'll see more or less depending on who just visited and how much I've been in it.

Tequila:
Sauza
Lunazul

Gin:
Gordon's
Beefeater
Tanqueray

Rum:
Ron Rico
Sailor Jerry

Vodka:
Tito's

Vermouth and misc. Liqueurs.

Rittenhouse 100 Bottled in Bond

Never let this go out of stock in your liquor cabinet.

I like to keep a bottle of Maker's Mark, Jameson's, 1800 silver, Bacardi, Bombay Sapphire, Sobieski Vodka, a bottle of Cognac (usually Remy Martin), Kahlua, Frangelico, Amaretto, Cointreau, Dry Vermouth, Angostura Bitters, and one of my personal favorites, Galiano. I use it to make Harvey Wallbangers. Float a shot of Galiano on top of a screwdriver with good orange juice, a perfect morning tailgate drink. Not too full before the big game that way. Cocktails before the games, beers after. I also always have lemons and limes in the fridge as well as green olives. They can come in very handy too. I use a lot of the liqueurs for desserts and cooking. They are a great way to add flavor and turn a regular dessert into something a little more "adult."

Bulleit, Jameson, New Amsterdam, Cruzan (for mixing), Kraken (for drinking), Cruzan Black Strap (for cooking and sipping), Jaegermeister, Sobieski, Kahlua

I like rum and whiskey gives me the worst hangovers but tastes good. I like having the stuff for white russians available and my friends really like Jameson. Jaeger is mostly a guilty pleasure

Rum - Bacardi white for mixing, Tanduay 5 year or 12 year for sipping
Whiskey - Glenn Fiddich
Bourbon - Jack Daniels, Gentleman Jack and Jim Beam (Devil Cut)
Gin - Sapphire Blue and Tanqueray
Tequila - Jose Cuervo gold for mixing, Patron Gold for shots
Apple Pie Moonshine for holiday get togethers

Back